Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: My 2000 GT convertible 5 speed manual has stalled 5 times during the 30,500 miles I have owned it. It happens when I disengage the cluth. As the RPMs fall toward the idle RPM it falls to far and the engine stall causing complete power failure. This is very scary coming off a highway ramp! No power brakes or power steering! Please let me now if anyone else has had this problem. The dealer has attempted to fix this problem 5 times without success. Now I'm forced to consider filing this car as a lemon. :( I really love the car, but I don't feel safe driving it...let alone letting anyone else drive it.

They have replaced the PCM, MAF, and ISC so far....

Please help...

·
Registered
545 Posts
My 01 Cobra has done this once last year, but never again. What is the normal idle speed of the engine? I notice if I coast, out of gear or pressing the clutch, the rpms drop towards idle but then comes up to 1,000 rpms while I am still moving. That is a computer function. Has Ford tried reflashing the computer?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normal idle is at about 700-750 RPMs. However, if I'm coasting I would say about 70% of the time, it will idle at about 1100 RPMs as you have mentioned. The other 30% of the time, it it will idle at 700-750 while coasting or worst, stall.

Ford has not tried reflashing the computer yet. They could not duplicate the problem so they are hesitent about changing or fixing random parts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
same problem

I have a 2000GT and it does the same thing. I have about 20000 miles on it and it has stalled about 4 times. Usually happens when clutch is disengaged and I roll to a stop. All power goes out and it almost caused me to hit another car once...thank god for e-brake. It sucks and my local blue oval certified dealer tells me "we can't fix it until we can duplicate the problem" but I tell them "hey dip****(s), I said it happens very rarely." They suck. Oh well, what can we do? I Hope they find the problem on your car. It's dangerous.
Paul

·
Registered
272 Posts
mine has done same thing about total of 4 or 5 times
did it today at track after running

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All,

:mad: I have a feeling this stalling problem has been existent since at least the early 90's. I can't believe after 2 design updates, Ford has not tried to resolve the problem. I talked to a non-Ford mechanic yesterday and he said he has heard of this problem on the Mustangs. His comment, "There's really nothing you can do. Ford needs to come up with a design that anticpates when the car needs more power and increases the idle RPM automatically." Currently, it appears the car is reacting (or recovering) too slowly to the power demands of the car (power steering, brakes, a/c, radio, headlights etc.). As a result, it will sometimes stall. Dangerous! I can't believe Ford has not attempted to fix this problem. Shows just how much they care.

My car is over the 24,000 mile or two year limit for the lemon law. It's going to be very difficult fighting this out with FORD. Suggestion for everyone out there...if you have this problem, make sure you bring it into the dealership at least three times before 24,000 or two years per Lemon Law requirements (Georgia). It's should not matter if they couldn't fix. I'm still researching this problem. Hopefully, I will find something. If there is a fix, I will be sure to post it for everyone. Wish me luck.

John

·
Registered
445 Posts
thanks for your comments, i will definitely bring my car to the dealer, since the beginning of the summer , it did it 5 times minimum... didn't stall though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 2000 GT Vert did this 4 or 5 times in 1 summer in it's stock condition! Needless to say, Ford wouldn't / couldn't fix it. I was told by the dealer I bought it from (Marshall East - Cleveland, OH) "tough s*%t". :mad:

I would have turned it in as a lemon (I had taken it to dealerships around the Cleveland area 3 or 4 times for the same problem) if someone hadn't crashed into me and totalled my car. Thank god for that guy! Now I got the 01 Cobra, which stalls less often (This is my fault though, cuz it never stalled until I put the Densecharger on).

For your info, both cars only stalled after spirited runs, then disengaging the clutch. I think it has something to do with the air sensors and the computer not being programmed for certain conditions. Basically, the RPM's fell really low, then stalled. This is a pretty common condition with the newer Mustangs. However, Ford will never admit it because they don't want to pay to fix it. Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
uhh ohh

:eek: I hope this doesn't happen with my GT I just bought it yesterday.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't had a problem yet, but I am still in the (my car is newbabying stage) i.e. I have yet to really rip into it. I'll follow thi thriead and let you all know if it happens. my car is 100% stock right now with a very short service list.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All,

My 2000 GT convert is also ALL stock. I've been very nervous about modifying it due to this stalling issue. Last thing I need is for the dealer to have an excuse for the problem. Ford should just fess up and fix the problem! I wonder if there have been any deaths related to this problem?

·
Registered
76 Posts
2000gtvert said:
Ford should just fess up and fix the problem! I wonder if there have been any deaths related to this problem?
When your power steering and brakes go out, its a VERY dangerous situation! Ford will wait for deaths to occur before fixing it, just like the whole tire fiasco. By the way, I also mentioned to my dealership (Marshal East - Cleveland, OH) that I could be killed in the car, and that I didn't feel safe driving it... again the response I got was "Tough S%$t!" in nicer terms. The dealership won't be held responsible for the death, so they dont give a rats A$$. And Ford has already demonstrated that they dont care UNTIL they get bad publicity for it.

Until the national media is made aware of this issue, we have no chance in hell of ever getting the problem fixed!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Guys,

I had the same problem with my brand new 02 GT. I took it to the service dept a few times and now it works fine. The service guy, whom I know very well, told me that the stalling was a frequent problem amongst 99 and up GT's. He said that FORD is fixing to issue a TSB that has the fix for this problem. He told me that they believe that it is a very small problem with the TB, TPS sensor, and IAC. They fixed it in a matter of hours. My car and a few others were the guini pigs so to speak and whatever they did it works fine now. My car stalled on numerous occasions and almost caused me to get into a few accidents. I consider myself lucky though, because I only have 9K miles on my car. They were more than willing to find out a way to fix the problem so they wouldn't have to adhere to a lemon law case. BTW, my family has been buying cars from the dealership I speak of for years in case you are wondering why I was in and out of there in a matter of a few hours and not 4-13 days like most.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad that Ford had the decency to fix your car. What exactly did they do? I know there are a lot of us that would appreciate your help...believe me! I love this car! I just want the stalling issue closed. A good dealership is very difficult to find. Coud I ask you what dealership you were using? Maybe the dealerships around here could call them to find out exactly what was done. Maybe there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Too bad FORD has to upset so many of us during this time.

My quick 2 cents on this situation: There are a lot of Mustang fans out there...repeat buyers too. It's amazing how little they really care about us. If the average person had this problem, it would be "see ya later!" What every happenned to customer service...especially for repeat buyers and Mustang fans?

·
Registered
327 Posts
The closest thing to a "do it yourself" fix on a car out of the lemon law guidelines is:

Look for the two screws holding the TPS (throttle position sensor) on the TB (throttle body). Realize there is some hellacious lock-tight on the threads. Loosen the screws (very very slightly) The TPS will be able to move about a 16th of an inch in either direction. One direction will lower your idle by about 75RPM and movement in the other direction will raise is by about the same amount. A voltage meter will be handy to watch the TPS voltage.

The goal here is to rotate the TPS the before mentioned 1/16th" or so, till the RPM's go up. This way you know you're rotating the right direction. (Clockwise I believe (looking from the front of the car to the back)) After doing this, the RPM's will not dip quite as low on decel and it allows the computer to react to conditions a little quicker. Then tighten the screws back down.

My stock '00 GT (coupe) did it twice. I installed the blower and it got worse. I did the things listed above and played with my MAF location and I don't get it now. All mods in sig and the car DOES NOT die. The lowest my RPM's have dropped is 600

Good Luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
2000gtvert said:
I'm glad that Ford had the decency to fix your car. What exactly did they do? I know there are a lot of us that would appreciate your help...believe me! I love this car! I just want the stalling issue closed. A good dealership is very difficult to find. Coud I ask you what dealership you were using? Maybe the dealerships around here could call them to find out exactly what was done. Maybe there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Too bad FORD has to upset so many of us during this time.
It is the Maxwell Ford Dealership in Austin Texas.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Read this thread I have it bookmarked for cases like this!!Like when i (or my family) sues ford!!
The lawsuit proof

From this you will see that ford isnt doing this out of their good heart!:mad:

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
My car started it's idle BS right after installing the blower although it didn't happen ALL of the time and was very intermittent. I had it happen to me once after making a pass at the track.... imagine going 110+ mph and the engine shut down... I almost pooped myself and didn't make anymore passes that night :(

·
Registered
480 Posts
In my case, I found that cleaning the IAC would "solve" the problem for a couple of months. This is my 2nd valve; the dealer replaced it around 25K (now at 42K). But after the latest cleaning, the car stalled again the next day.

I replaced the PCV valve about a month ago. No stalling since. Coincidence?

I have not yet replaced the IAC valve inlet tube (the rectangular black box on the front of the valve). That will be my next fix attempt should I stall again.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts