Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I am driving around the city, after my car warms up, it starts to get sluggish, or sloppy in performance. I don't think my car likes the city driving at all. If I take it out on the freeway, it seems to stop being so sluggish. Is my engine running too hot? If so, what can I do to keep it cooler without doing any drastic changes to the engine?

I think it gets hotter because I will have my heat set to the 12 position and when driving in the city, hotter air comes out of the vent. Then when I take it on the freeway, the vent air gradually cools back down.

I would really like to know what could be causing the sluggish performance after driving in the city for a bit. Remember though, it doesn't drive sluggish when I drive it for the first 30mins in the morning. Just after it has warmed up on the temp gage does it start to get sloppy in performance.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Might just be a stuck/sticky thermostat??? If it stays closed, your coolant isn't circulating thru the radiator.

Or, your plugs may be fouling at low rpms???

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LIGHTNINROD said:
Might just be a stuck/sticky thermostat??? If it stays closed, your coolant isn't circulating thru the radiator.

Or, your plugs may be fouling at low rpms???

Dan
What do you recommend for replacement plugs on this car besides the stock plugs? I do not know anything about plugs and such, just know how to change them.

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LIGHTNINROD said:
CB: I have a Lightning so I'm not sure what plugs are recommended for your car. Having said that, we use NGKs($2 ea.) and Densos($11 ea.). The Densos are noted for less misfiring.

Here is a link:http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:Bl8ufkLHNCkC:[url]www.densoiridium.com/faq.php+denso+plugs&hl=en&start=2&ie=UTF-8[/url]

Dan
Thank you for your help Dan. I will look into these plugs. One last question though. I was looking through the forum and found a part number AWSF22C for plugs. I forgot the post location but they said it is the holy grail of plugs for my specific car. Would you know who makes these plugs?

·
Registered
200 Posts
ford makes the AWSF22C plugs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kuma said:
ford makes the AWSF22C plugs.
Are those plugs any good? Are they really the holy grail? If so why?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts