Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, not a mustang but there's many more on this forum with knowledge and responses than the other truck/bronco forums so I figured I'd give a shot here.

Anyway, got a starting problem that has us stumped. 70 Bronco with 5.0 carbed cranks and sometimes fires over. One problem is it just don't crank the engine fast enough. Plus after a few cranks the battery goes dead.

Now, it will fire using ether to assit. After it fires, it runs fine. In fact, it smokes 35x12.50 Mud Terrains. After the engine is hot, it will fire right up if started in a few minutes. If it sits for 10 minutes or so, same thing cranks but won't start and drains the battery.

This was project build and with new engine. Engine has a Performer intake, Performer 600 carb, and Accel digital distrib and coil.

Attempts to remedy the problem was:

Replaced starter....new one also checked good
Replaced starter solenoid
Replaced battery
Replaced all electrical leads from battery to starter and inbtween
Installed doulbe ground to engine, frame, chasis

We're going to swap carbs today to see if this helps. I'm thinking/hoping it has an idle circuit problem or heat soaking after it gets hot.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
did you check to see if you have a draw?
disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. grab a test light and clamp it to the negative post, with the key off, doors closed, underhood light(if any) unplugged, then touch the negative terminal.

if the light goes on you have a draw, probrably a stuck voltage regulator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts