Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a metal rataling noise under the hood of my 94 GT Vert. I have MAC underdrive pulleys but all are tight. It seends to be comming from the top of the engine near the idler pulley area but in not sure exatly where its comming form. Any Ideas? It went away for a while then cam back. it seems to be worse at idel but I can realy tell with my exhaust being so loud.

Thanks, Jason Mcclure

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Idler brg/tensioner or one of the other pulley brgs..If u can't tell by listening, loosen belt & turn by hand. U prob can figure it out that way...

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Probably the idler tensioner pulley, does it sound like a "clicking' noise?

Watch the idle tension pulley (right underneath the alternator) and see if the clacking noise is coming from there. The pulley self adusts and might be hitting the stopper --thus making a clickign noise.

Solution is getting the proper belt size. Does really sound like it though...could be somethign else, but doubtful.

Did you install all three pulleys??? Crank, Alternator and waterpump pulleys?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, I installed all three pulleys. I'm thinking it might be my water pump. I took a metal pipe and put it on the water pump and put my ear to it and it. I could hear the sound more.

Also, The power stering pump pulley moves back and forth (by hand) the slightest bit when the engine is off, but the bolt is tight.

I problay just take it to my mechanic in the next few days and have him see whats wrong. I hope its covered under waranty.

Thanks, jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts