Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so bare with me. :) I've recently had to replace the oil pan on my 89 conv 5.0 due to rust. ( I've since heard that is NOT all that un-common!) While I was in there i also replaced the oil pump, and shaft, with a High volume unit. I had the usual problems pulling the pan, lifted the engine WAY up ( even removed the upper intake to get more room) I still had a heck of a time getting it out. It wasn't till I was putting in the new one that i took off the rack. DOH! I also replaced the injectors, SINCE the upper was already off. ANYWAY..... after putting it all back together I Now have a "Knock" SOMEWHERE in there. I've since pulled the pan AGAIN and replaced the pick up with a Ford replacement. Still nothing... then i thought that maybe i dropped something down the intake while replacing the injectors .. SO i pulled upper and lower expecting to find something in the cylinders.... but NOPE! At least now i have completly re-worked heads to go with the cobra intake that's in the mail... Why? ... you guessed it... "While i was in there". Anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to WHAT might be the cause of the noise?
I felt the pan at idle and it didin't feel like anything was hitting it. the noise was Deffinetly NOT there before all this happened.
It's a summit pan, melling pump, ford pickup, injectors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seriously..... I was in there anyway and had to buy a new pump... SO i fugured I'd go with the high volume one.

·
Registered
294 Posts
More is not better. The Boss 302 came with a std volume oil pump. Did you replace the oil pump drive shaft with a hardened unit? How many qts is the pan - std capacity? The knock may be pan interference. I wouldn't run it until I found the problem. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"pan interference" with what? .. the pump? or the Rods/counter weights?
I've actually JUST replaced the High volume pump with a new "Stock" one and am awaiting the arrival of the intake. I have to say I've gotten the removal/ installation of the pan DOWN PAT! ;) The shaft was replaced with a melling hd one.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The pan could hit something you didn't see. Just suggesting things. So you put a std replacement pump in it. Is it an internal sound - does it vary with rpms?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great suggestions.... and i appreciate ALL the help i can get.
The sound IS internal... at least as far as i could tell... It kinda sounded like it was upper end... THAT'S why i tore the intakes off previously... i was grabbing at straws... But it is there at idle and goes up and down with the rpm's. reminds me of a rod-knock.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The High Volume pump will suck the 5 quart stock pan dry. That could cause some knocking.

·
Registered
639 Posts
89LXCNVRT since you have done it a few times,:) did you lift the engine by the oil pan? If you did they you use the front of the oil pan or the back? I am in the middle of changing my oil pump and could use your input. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"BlackBeauty" .. I used a cherry picker to lift the engine.... made it SOOOO much easier. BUT once the engine was up high enough i just put a piece of scrap wood ( 2 X 4 scrap in this case) between the engine mount and frame, then let the engine back down on the wood. It kept it up high enough to work on the pump AND got the hoist legs out of my way as well.
By the way i FINALLY got the car back together WITH all the mods and the KNOCK is GONE.. WOO HOO... BUT now i have a TICK! ugh. I'm pretty sure the new 1.7 ratio rockers are hitting the cover on the passenger side. Going to "open it up" and take a look-see. Anyone have any advice on how to fix this?
Also if anyone has done a Cobra intake install..... Where did you put the vacum hose that goes to, what appears to be, the canister up by the radiater.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks I did it by lifting the engine by the oil pan. I just finished installing the 1.7 RRs and Cobra Intake along with other stuff. The Charcoal canister line goes to the front of the Cobra Intake, it used to be connected under the stock intake. Just remove the 3 screws holding the baffle in the valve cover, I did not have to grind anything off just removed the baffle and it had enough clearance. Good Luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ... I've been hesitant in driving it knowing they were hitting. Glad to hear you got yours together. Mine has been a REAL pain.... but it was worth it when i took it for the test drive. :)
Now i just need to figure out why the tach is cutting in and out... SMALL compared to the "Knock" though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts