Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In between 1600 and 3000 rpm the engine is misfiring, it starts sputtering and has a rough time getting through that range. I have checked the fuel pressure and combustion on each cylinder, got new spark plugs for it because i thought that could be it.

Any ideas on what it could be?

it is a stock bottom 302, Track Heat Trickflow top end kit, MSD Ignition (18 degree timing) but i tried to raise and lower timing down to 10 and up to 20 but still nothing. NGK Spark plugs for the trickflow heads, EGR Delete, smog pump Delete, A/C Delete. 24 LB venom injectors, 190 LPH BBK fuel pump, BBK Adj. fuel pressure regulator.

If any more information is needed please let me know.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
In between 1600 and 3000 rpm the engine is misfiring, it starts sputtering and has a rough time getting through that range. I have checked the fuel pressure and combustion on each cylinder, got new spark plugs for it because i thought that could be it.

Any ideas on what it could be?

it is a stock bottom 302, Track Heat Trickflow top end kit, MSD Ignition (18 degree timing) but i tried to raise and lower timing down to 10 and up to 20 but still nothing. NGK Spark plugs for the trickflow heads, EGR Delete, smog pump Delete, A/C Delete. 24 LB venom injectors, 190 LPH BBK fuel pump, BBK Adj. fuel pressure regulator.

If any more information is needed please let me know.
Wheres that msd box mounted? I had my under hood and it would overheat and the car ran like ####. Moved it under passenger seat and no more problems. Try unplugging it and going back to the factory ignition.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
173 Posts
Probably a dumb thought, but you cold try a spark plug tester on each cylinder and rev the motor up by hand till it misses and watch the spark in the tester. See if you can find a cylinder that it cuts out in, or even from the coil. Not sure if that would help, might help narrow it down.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Put your stocker back in and reset timing again with SPOUT out and see what happens.

More importantly though, what codes are you getting?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the computer isnt giving me any codes at all, I will try to test the spark plugs, they are new though and the old ones did the same thing.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Is it not giving ANY codes whatsoever, or is it at least giving the "all clear" code, which I think is 11?

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
You should talk to your tuner and confirm with him that that should be the case (not being able to pull any codes). If you should be able to pull codes, and the EEC has power to it and power to the diagnostic "port", you could have a fried EEC. Since you've been through two already, it sounds possible, but there must be a short or more likely a bad ground that is killing those things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts