Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A shop near me wants to be able to engine dyno EFI Fords and was asking me what it would take. I have access to the engine harness off a '90 5.0 and as far as I know thats about all it would take, plus a computer and providing 12v to the relay/s that power the computer. Thats assuming the motor brought in would have injectors and all sensors in place, so the harness would just drop on them. Would it be that simple? The shop says they've got the fuel pump already, and hooking up fuel lines would just depend on what type of rails the motor's owner has installed. Am I missing anything? Any tips/advice/suggestions???

Thanks!

·
Registered
665 Posts
TurboX2, I live in the Twin Cities as well and have had no luck finding anyone who knows anything about dyno-tuning EFI Fords. I'll have a new 347 finished soon, and I sure hate to have to drive 100's of miles to find a dyno with an experienced tuner. I'd like to get a custom chip burned during dyno tuning.

Please pass along any suggestions you have for this area, or anywhere within 200-300 miles of which you're aware.

For the new engine dyno setup, often a customer's headers won't fit on the setup. The shop should have both shorty and long tube headers, ideally in 1-1/2, 1-5/8, 1-3/4 (and 1-7/8 if they anticipate any big strokers) with the O2 bungs welded in.

Dual, wide band 02 sensors are just about mandatory to really dial in the EFI.

The computer harness/mounting should be where the customer can plug in their own computer or computer/chip combo.

Provisions should be made for recording fuel pressure during the runs so that the same conditions can be duplicated in the car after tuning.

Should have a couple performance exhaust systems handy with X or H pipes...one with and one without high-flow cats, to simulate the application being tested.

Good, aftermarket CD ignition with adjustable rev limiter, for those that have disabled the factory rev limiter in their computer.

Hope this new shop's efforts are successful!

Steve A.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts