Ford Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Maybe I missed it; but what do you think would be a fair resolution to the oil leak issue? - As I have pointed out since I have moved this makes it a ****ty situation for myself and Jim.
Have you discussed this resolution with Woody? -- I have tried to talk to Jim and the response I got was just find the leak.
Have you called Woody after he posted in this thread? - I have not
The bottom line is and Jim and I can argue this back and forth but as I mentioned. Before and during the build, communication and emails were amazing. Calls and emails getting answered almost immediately. Once the leak was present I was getting excuses and having to follow up on emails after not hearing anything for days. So at this point I think I am just on my own and it is what it is. I am a big boy I can figure it out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
L

i never said it could be YOU. I said there could be an issue outside of assembly. Crack in weld on oil pan, crank issue, RMS issue. It could have nothing to do with assembly and everything with poor manufacturing. Stop acting like everyone is attacking you and grow up. Skin thinner than paper. Go on any other forum and you will get the same treatment, it’s your behavior that is triggering the treatment.
Your point on the parts is well taken, I see what you mean.

I am giving back what I am receiving so I will act approprietly. It is going to be a he said she said back and forth **** show so it is what it is. We are all just talking and you are pointing out what I am doing wrong and I am pointing out what you all are doing wrong.....

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
507 Posts
Your point on the parts is well taken, I see what you mean.

I am giving back what I am receiving so I will act approprietly. It is going to be a he said she said back and forth **** show so it is what it is. We are all just talking and you are pointing out what I am doing wrong and I am pointing out what you all are doing wrong.....
Everyone understands that the situation sucks but you need to find the issue before blaming. Find the leak and get back to people and they will help but if you get into a flame war that’s what you will get. Be reasonable. Ignore the asshats and focus on the issue at hand.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
If you'd like to get some feedback on the possible cause; post up more photos of the actual leak.
First; dry off the wet area on the engine.
Then; idle the engine up to operating temp.
Can you see where the oil is coming from? Pics?
Get back to us and we can move on to the next step.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Well I’m one of the asshats lol so I guess it’s okay. It is very frustrating and going back and forth brings out the worst in all of us as we all take it personally.
No worries either way. Yes I will drop the trans and look further just have to see if my job is moving me again or if I’m staying put. I will post back once I get farther.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
About the possible crack in oil pan comment; I actually had a small, small leak in one of the welds in my moroso 20511 pan from Jim. Obviously wasn’t his fault, but sometimes things like this just happen. Quick zap with a tig torch fixed that issue.

·
Banned
2,774 Posts
As stated very early in this thread and even said by the builder, “find the leak first”.
not sure what you expect without doing that first. I guess next time, pay to have it all put together AND broken in on an engine dyno.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Probably no one on this site offers more good, and free advice about SBF engines. Jim is one of the least offensive, non confrontational professionals that I personally have come across on this site. He has built two shortblocks for me, and the quality of the workmanship is beyond reproach. He has earned the respect of the membership on this site, so it is little wonder that this thread resembles a circus.

Nine pages in, it should have been obvious 7 or 8 pages ago that without doing the investigative work to locate this leak, the onus of the fallout is wholly in your court. That you would be calling out a builder for installing parts that he probably didn't even supply is ridiculous. You see things from the perspective that you've been victimized, that's not a fair assessment in my opinion. From the perspective of the builder, he has went above and beyond for the pittance he made installing parts you bought elsewhere. That is the perspective I would imagine most are responding from.

Jay

·
Registered
289 Posts
He came to your house
What more do you want

·
Registered
'87 20th Anniversary Cougar7.0 427W
5,479 Posts
engine builder FAIL - {insert name here}
Mistake #1. Inflammatory thread title with FAIL in all caps. An oil leak on a SBF is virtually inevitable. In my case I had a pinhole in the RTV on the china wall that had oil dripping off the bottom of my new pan. It wasn't easy as you might think to find & fix either.

I don't care for 90% of the reflexive attacks on you, but when I ordered a "10k" short-block (including custom cam & bottom end buttoned up and higher-end heads) for my build, the two reason's I went with someone other than Woody were 1) I wanted a builder that I could drive to in a worst case scenario if there was an actual issue with the engine & 2) I was impatient & didn't want to wait.

You have no idea how lucky you were to be within driving distance of one of the most reputable engine builders around. As noted above, not only is he a solid builder (who actually drove to your house FFS), he provides invaluable information here that only an engine builder who is well versed & confident in his craft would do. Most of the other vendor types try to unethically steer posters to their products or their favorite vendor when they comment. The fact that you came to this forum where you rarely post, knowing that we would likely guess who you were talking about is kind of small of you to be honest.

As far as finding and fixing your little oil leak - I could give a flying ****. You clearly want to blame someone who wouldn't make such a mistake for some failed or defective component that neither of you could have anticipated. Be an adult and try to think about this from Jim's perspective. Stop being defensive and move on to what's important. Expand your thinking and try to imagine what likely uncommon failure mode could cause the leak to be misdiagnosed or somehow occur in the same place twice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
About the possible crack in oil pan comment; I actually had a small, small leak in one of the welds in my moroso 20511 pan from Jim. Obviously wasn’t his fault, but sometimes things like this just happen. Quick zap with a tig torch fixed that issue.
How did you find the leak? Did it leak while sitting or only when running?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sorry if I work and have a job to tend to. Builder gave me a window that coincided with my job,do you have one????
Man it is so fun to respond back to these IDIOT posts!
Nope no job, Im posting from my box back in the alley off someones wifi. I was only able to afford my engine by collecting cans. The fact is when someone goes out of their way to come over when they have time, you should accommodate them. I would of went as far to take a half day off to get it figured out if it were that imperative you had him come over. But I guess Ill never understand that because you know what I do? I man the F up, take the engine out of my car and drive the 2+ hours to his house to have him fix it. Im sure he didnt charge you for gas, etc either for him to do that. So you can come up with whatever excuse you want at this point, the fact is we have a very different mentality and wont agree at this point about how you say inside while he came to your house, that is one of the most disrespectful things Ive heard in awhile. What anyone other builder would of done is make you take your own time, gas and money to rent a truck, bring the engine back to them in which they would do whatever repair needed, because its not their problem you dont have a truck, work during the times they are open, dont have time, live an hour away, etc etc. They are liable for the parts they installed on the engine or labor they did. Any REAL engine builder would of laughed in your face if you told them to come to your house on their time and fix it while you sit inside. LOL, its even hilarious typing out really.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whats the crankcase pressure like? Just curious if some backpressure is blowing past the rear main... But IMHO I understand you spent a bunch of money on a engine. You have a aftermarket pan, aftermarket block and most likely aftermarket crank... trying to make all these leak free like a OEM car is a challenge. I can be a bad weld or warp in the pan or a crank machined a hair two thin. add the fact you moved away from the engine builder. Im not sure what you would expect him todo.

I think we all would like to see the rear of engine without the trans to see the actuall source of the leak.
Is there a way to measure crankcase pressure? If so, how and what results would point to it being too much? Just curious as I’m chasing what I believe to be a RMS leak.

·
Registered
'87 20th Anniversary Cougar7.0 427W
5,479 Posts
Is there a way to measure crankcase pressure? If so, how and what results would point to it being too much? Just curious as I’m chasing what I believe to be a RMS leak.
Using a Holley HP, I repurposed the OEM MAP sensor to measure crankcase vacuum. I hooked a vacuum hose from the MAP sensor to the dipstick tube. Works good and allowed me to compare the performance of several different PCV valves to find which one worked best for my engine.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Oh and for the record, as Ive stated multiple times but Ill say it in all caps so you csn comprehend this time "I BOUGHT THE SAME EXACT MOTOR AS YOU SPENT THE SAME MONEY AND MY REAR MAIN DOES LEAK BECAUSE OF THE BOOST I RUN". Since you keep saying "when one of you spend 12k on a motor that leaks come talk to me". Ok what in the blue F*** do I win now? What do we talk about? Because you know what I did, dealt with it and chocked it up to what it was, no ones fault and a flaw that high boost doesnt do well with. So please tell me, whos being the little bi tch now? Whats your response now? Because that same engine builder you claimed didnt tell you any of this stuff when you bought it, told me everything I wanted to know, you know why? Because I asked the right questions and did my research and have grown up building cars. So wait, is it Jims fault now too you didnt happen to ask the right questions or should he of just spent 7 hours going over every detail thats ever happened in a small block ford build as to cover anything you might want to know about your $12k engine. That leads me to another point, you keep saying you spent 12k on a motor from him? How the F did you do that? I bought a complete long block with all the upgraded stuff, ARp 2000 bolts throughout, etc etc. and can go look at my receipt I know its right at 10k. Where this magical other 2k coming in Jim charged you? Because if hes only liable for the shortblock as he said, shouldnt you be accurate and say that the part hes liable for fixing is only $4500? Far cry from 12k, but its no surprise youre trying to get the shock factor and sympathy because of the hard earned money you put into it.

For the record since you mentioned before, I voted for Trump, couldnt stand Indy and have a bachelors and doctors degree. But what is true is I call people out when I see BS. And honestly I had no problem with your thread up to the point you said "real engine builder" and I found out that you sat inside while he came over. You can look back to confirm that if you like, I was more than cordial before that until I figured out you were just on a witch hunt while acting like you werent. You may not have said it was Jim but you insulted him several times in the thread and then we figured out who it was by his post. Thats when it hit the fan for you.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The bottom line is and Jim and I can argue this back and forth but as I mentioned. Before and during the build, communication and emails were amazing. Calls and emails getting answered almost immediately. Once the leak was present I was getting excuses and having to follow up on emails after not hearing anything for days. So at this point I think I am just on my own and it is what it is. I am a big boy I can figure it out.
Called many times, no answer. Best excuse I got was couldn't answer the phone washing machine was running, LOL. You guys think you have it all figured out, keep attacking me.
Lol I know i'd be pissed to but I personally wouldn't have approached the situation like you did. Creating a thread on a forum where you know the builder has been active for many years and pulls allot of business from to just stir up crap is pretty weak man. You knew what you were doing and knew it wouldn't solve anything. What you should have done was simply listen to the builder and find where the leak was. After that then hash out the options going forward depending the situation. This back and forth entitled posts after post make you sound like a real ahole and even if your not that is how your coming off.

Hopefully you take the time to put the car up in the air and figure out where the leak is coming from and start enjoying the thing

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
How did you find the leak? Did it leak while sitting or only when running?
I want to say it was after I filled it with oil before I even ran it. Was in the front sump area. Was a very small hole.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hahah sure sure I can deduce a lot from your post including your mental capacity which is quite low.

I stand by everything I said and I hate to say this but I can see what a complete bunch of brainless fools hang out here. I would also assume that the idiots like YOU who lash out at me are also the ones that want that idiot Indy to be unbanned.

Most of you fools have a great way of bending an manipulating what I said. Nothing backfired on as I said from the beginning this post was to just make people aware. I never mentioned any names and still stand by not doing that. And wtf do i need credibility here you make it sound like I lost something, oohhhhh no one at corral is going to be nice to me and listen to me lol yea let me go cry for a while.

For each person that attacked me here I am sure there is another not saying anything for fear of being treated how all you bullies came at me, you all must be JB supporters, the brainless majority.

Yes it was nice that Jim came over and replaced the rear main and oil pan gasket but you all are making it sound like he came over and pulled the engine/trans, replaced parts and put it back in. He spent 3 hours of his time which was great but I feel that when you buy a short block and then have them build a complete engine and it leaks immediately that is the least you could do for someone to try and maintain their reputation.

Maybe YOU all are not hearing what YOU want to hear and being little bitches about it. Like I said, drop 12k on a engine and have it perpetually leaking and then we can talk.
A few things here:
1) There is an old saying that if one person calls you a jackass, no big deal. If two people call you out, maybe there is something to it. If a bunch of people say you're being a jackass......
2) You leading in with calling the people disagreeing with you "low intelligence" and "brainless fools" is typical of people that have a bit of superiority complex, and make themselves feel better by trying to set themselves above those disagreeing with them. Those with superiority complexes usually are actually very insecure people and are over compensating for something.
3) If you don't feel you need credibility here at the Corral, why are you even still beating this drum? Why are you even bothering to debate with anyone here if you don't care?
4) Attacked and bullied? What are you, a 14 year old girl?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Nope no job, Im posting from my box back in the alley off someones wifi. I was only able to afford my engine by collecting cans. The fact is when someone goes out of their way to come over when they have time, you should accommodate them. I would of went as far to take a half day off to get it figured out if it were that imperative you had him come over. But I guess Ill never understand that because you know what I do? I man the F up, take the engine out of my car and drive the 2+ hours to his house to have him fix it. Im sure he didnt charge you for gas, etc either for him to do that. So you can come up with whatever excuse you want at this point, the fact is we have a very different mentality and wont agree at this point about how you say inside while he came to your house, that is one of the most disrespectful things Ive heard in awhile. What anyone other builder would of done is make you take your own time, gas and money to rent a truck, bring the engine back to them in which they would do whatever repair needed, because its not their problem you dont have a truck, work during the times they are open, dont have time, live an hour away, etc etc. They are liable for the parts they installed on the engine or labor they did. Any REAL engine builder would of laughed in your face if you told them to come to your house on their time and fix it while you sit inside. LOL, its even hilarious typing out really.
DUDE really are you retarded or just can't read. ENGINE BUILDER GAVE ME ONE TIME HE COULD COME OVER AND IT WAS DURING MY WORK HOURS WHEN I WAS WORKING SO I SHOULD GET FIRED FROM MY JOB SO I CAN BE CORDIAL AND SIT WITH HIM WHILE HE FIXES HIS ****UP???? MAN the retardation here doesn't stop!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
A few things here:
1) There is an old saying that if one person calls you a jackass, no big deal. If two people call you out, maybe there is something to it. If a bunch of people say you're being a jackass......
2) You leading in with calling the people disagreeing with you "low intelligence" and "brainless fools" is typical of people that have a bit of superiority complex, and make themselves feel better by trying to set themselves above those disagreeing with them. Those with superiority complexes usually are actually very insecure people and are over compensating for something.
3) If you don't feel you need credibility here at the Corral, why are you even still beating this drum? Why are you even bothering to debate with anyone here if you don't care?
4) Attacked and bullied? What are you, a 14 year old girl?
another retarded reply I do not even have words....next

161 - 180 of 236 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.