Ford Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
It is what it is, at then end of the day I know what is going to happen. I am going to chase the leak, pull it all apart and find where it is coming from and at that point engine builder will say well it can't be that because I already fixed that or whatever and judging from the communication I have gotten since the first leak and responsiveness it won't go well. Like I said, I am not sure what could happen, what should happen blah blah, I was just curious what other people think or have experienced.

Maybe the moral of the story is, when you pay someone to do something take some time and have a serious discussion about the things that "may" happen and how they would resolve them. What is their responsibility or what falls under the category of "not much we can do".

Like I said, when I shell out that much money for something I expect it to be perfect. Not much more I can say here so take it for what it is worth and question/set expectations before you commit to anything.....
I think you might be missing a point here. Hear me out, we are dealing with aftermarket performance parts here and no matter how expensive or how good they are things fail. You can have the best engine builder in the world build something and have the best parts on it and stuff still happens, things go wrong from time to time. When talking about performance engines its even more common, which is also a reason a lot of performance shops dont give long warranties (if any at all) for race stuff. As I said above, I have the same motor as you, and I have a procharger that pushes 21psi regularly, I pull my car in the garage after a night of cruising and usually a week later when I go to move it there will be a 1-2" circle of oil right under the bellhousing where yours is leaking. When I took it apart this winter it was the rear main without a doubt and I just thought, it is what it is, ive used the best parts I can and in my opinion a top builder in the world for SBF's. I have no doubt it has nothing to do with the build quality, but moreso that these fords just have a poor design at the rear main and theres only so much that can be done.

As for your deal, I feel the builder went out of their way to remedy it and if they drovr an hour each way, worked for free in your garage, thats pretty damn good customer service IMHO. You can go ahead, tear it apart again, waste your time and Id be willing to bet you have the same thing happen again, so then whos to blame? Does it then fall on Dart, moroso or??? I personally would run it, unless its physically smoking or coming out at a big rate. Mine doesnt leak idling or anything, it is only under boost.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Also, at the end of the day, **** happens people make mistakes.. This guy could have built 20k engines and it is always possible to have one issue, one bad one.... hell maybe the oil pan is bad, maybe he used two bad seals or gaskets...I dunno. I however think communication and resolution are two important factors, which in this case left a lot to be desired....You can build engines and be buddies with all the engines that came out good but this just showed me that in this case when things do not go well sometimes the business doesn't wanna be your buddy anymore...
Also why not just say the builder? So others can chime in if theyve had the same issues? Maybe that would help to know if its a common occurrence with the parts they use, etc

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I agree with you 100% but with one caveat.....

Virtually no miles, just broke in engine per builders instructions. I think your point applies more to if some time had passed, like a year went by and any number of passes at the strip and then i was pissed that something broke or started leaking....again this was pretty much from the get go....

Well, I have enough respect for this person to not say anything at least not now. The reason is like you said, he did a very nice deed to come and fix it the first time.

Like I keep saying, I am not sure exactly what to say, what to expect, it is a ****ty situation for the builder and myself. I do know one thing that if I was a business owner I would going above and beyond to communicate and try and help me work this out or just freaking say, no there is nothing i can or will do!!!

Before and during the build, amazing communication, AMAZING, as it should be. After the issue, pretty crappy. Excuses and days before getting an email response, this was from the first instance of the leak, not just the second time....

Even if they can and will do nothing, there is no excuse for such crappy communication.

So this is where I tie the story back to you and what you said. So if it is what it is then i feel the builder, the "expert" should caveat this up front. And then maybe I wouldn't be pouting like a little kid right now. As I said before, maybe it is the duty of the customer to ask and pry up front and but I still find it hard to believe that a leak like this is normal though, ESPECIALLY right away....

I do hear you though, we are dealing with old designs, this is not a 2022 engineered engine...but at the end of the day, any reputable shop or business should be able to return an email within 24-48 hours and not a week and then keep giving a run around either help me or just tell me to go pound sand, which i feel is what they are silently telling me to do lol.

I am sure I am not the only one here that dropped some good money on an engine, just curious to see if anyone else that has had an engine built had an issue like this.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,232 Posts
Seems like $11,500 of the $12,000 build is working perfectly. If it was me I would take it apart and see what, if anything, was done wrong. Then you have a case.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

Here is a topic from this site you might find helpful. May also make you feel less alone with this issue. If nothing else an affordable and simple solution.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think again everyone is missing my point, The engine was not even broken in and it was leaking oil......
trust me that it won’t make a lick of difference for his overall reputation and how he is viewed on the Internet by the vast majority.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

Here is a topic from this site you might find helpful. May also make you feel less alone with this issue. If nothing else an affordable and simple solution.
Cool thanks let me check it out.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Was a Teflon rear main seal used?
Lots of people install Teflon seals incorrectly. Teflon seals are installed 100% dry, you even have to clean the crank so there is no oil residue. If installed correctly they seal well.. mine has one and doesn't leak. Have you had bad experiences?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used a ford oem seal on my new build and it still leaks... these leak plain and simple
If you ask a guy that's owned the Era of ford's they all leak rear main.- just live with it man it's not the builders fault

·
Registered
611 Posts
I agree with you 100% but with one caveat.....

Virtually no miles, just broke in engine per builders instructions. I think your point applies more to if some time had passed, like a year went by and any number of passes at the strip and then i was pissed that something broke or started leaking....again this was pretty much from the get go....

Well, I have enough respect for this person to not say anything at least not now. The reason is like you said, he did a very nice deed to come and fix it the first time.

Like I keep saying, I am not sure exactly what to say, what to expect, it is a ****ty situation for the builder and myself. I do know one thing that if I was a business owner I would going above and beyond to communicate and try and help me work this out or just freaking say, no there is nothing i can or will do!!!

Before and during the build, amazing communication, AMAZING, as it should be. After the issue, pretty crappy. Excuses and days before getting an email response, this was from the first instance of the leak, not just the second time....

Even if they can and will do nothing, there is no excuse for such crappy communication.

So this is where I tie the story back to you and what you said. So if it is what it is then i feel the builder, the "expert" should caveat this up front. And then maybe I wouldn't be pouting like a little kid right now. As I said before, maybe it is the duty of the customer to ask and pry up front and but I still find it hard to believe that a leak like this is normal though, ESPECIALLY right away....

I do hear you though, we are dealing with old designs, this is not a 2022 engineered engine...but at the end of the day, any reputable shop or business should be able to return an email within 24-48 hours and not a week and then keep giving a run around either help me or just tell me to go pound sand, which i feel is what they are silently telling me to do lol.

I am sure I am not the only one here that dropped some good money on an engine, just curious to see if anyone else that has had an engine built had an issue like this.
I do hear you, maybe its just a simple misunderstanding why you werent informed. I know when I had mine built I called and talked to him, asked him a million questions and he answered them all. One question I had was "will I be forced to run a vac pump because I dont have room to", he responded telling me "its a boosted SBF, it would greatly make a difference running a vac pump, if you simply cant, I wouldnt lose sleep on it but dont freak out if you see a drip of oil after beating on it". Would he of come out and said that had I not asked? Probably not honestly.

Now on to your other point, the communication, I agree is terrible for you. Thats unacceptable. I too have had concerns after I got the engine that I just wanted to run by to make sure on some things. My builder has been excellent, weve talked on the phone for hours and he answers everything and more. I also have the luxury of being a couple hours away and I get to go directly to him with my motor to have done and pick up. But again, he always gets back to me within a day or two and will answer my phone calls when I call. Ive built cars most my life, Ive always built my own motors for drag racing, etc. this is the first motor I had professionally done for resale sake if I ever did sell my car, and I can honestly say I couldnt of had a better experience with my builder. It sucks when stuff like this happen because you do feel like youre between a rock and a hard place, Ive been there with other companies regarding bad parts. I had Jegs not too long ago sell me tires that were so far out of balance that the shop wouldnt balance them because one needed 13 ounces! I call Jegs and they said sorry we wont take them back theyve been installed....... you cant know they are that far out until you install them...... I havent used Jegs since. Screw em

·
USAF retired
9,724 Posts
I've used teflon seals on three engines and all three leaked, installed according to directions, even bought the seal installer. I've since used a regular seal, with a crank repair sleeve, even on new cranks, and it's sealed up good.

Reactions: Flyin Ryan

·
Registered
813 Posts
First of all, SBF engines or any engines don't leak oil just because "they all leak oil", that is nonsense. If they are leaking, there is a reason. No doubt that once you introduce aftermarket parts, blocks, pans, the chance of things leaking goes up. I have a 408W that is 5 years old and you could not find a trace of oil on the outside of it. On the other hand I assembled a 383 SBC stroker and it drips oil out the front of the pan.

Your engine leaks. Your builder came over and attempted to repair it. That is more than most people would even offer. It still leaks and he said take it out and he would fix it again, he is still standing by it. It is not his fault you moved across the country or wherever you did. Take him the engine and he will do it again. It is that simple. Not much more he can do or you can expect out of him. Now the way I read it is he assembled the engine and you installed it? That is why he is telling you to take the engine out of the car. I would think if he assembled and installed the engine into the car then he would be willing to do the pulling and repair.

Unless you are going to pull the engine and take it to him, you are expecting too much. It is that simple.

Your idea of taking it to a shop and having him split the bill? I would probably forget that.

Communication is probably bad because he thinks you are annoying him about a drip of oil and hope you will just leave him alone.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
if it is the rms, take it out again if it's really bothering you, put it in a stand, remove the oil pan, remove, the rear bearing cap, remove the old rms, install a repair sleeve, install a regular felpro seal, put some black silicone on the outer edge of the bearing cap, install the bearing and cap, torque to spec, install a blue fel pro oil pan gasket, tighten the bolts.

use permetex #2 on the flywheel bolts and torque to spec.

Thats if it is the rms leaking of course.

How are you venting this engine?

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
oh nooo noo. The first time I put it togehter I used loctite and he said it was leaking there because I used loctite and not thread sealer. But with the loctite it was not leaking there. yea I agree with you. I have seen debates online whether to use loctite or thread sealer but in the end I have heard both work fine I just used thread sealer when I put it back together after he fixed it the first time so he could not use that against me again....
I used loctite on mine. No leaks...yet.

I guess the question is whether or not you'll have to pull the trans/flywheel to take a look at the RMS and see if that's the cause of the leak. My bet is that it is.

Oil leaks drive me batshit crazy, so I can understand how you must feel. One of the motivating factors for my recent build was just to address all the leaks on the original 33-year old engine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Communication is probably bad because he thinks you are annoying him about a drip of oil and hope you will just leave him alone.
Like I said, drop 12k, get no reply to your emails and then let me know how you would feel. I have done a lot of business with many companies over the years and there are the ones that are your friends before you pay them and ehhhhh not so much after (whether or not things go bad) and then there are the ones that treat you well before during and after no matter what they make time.

Ask yourself this, if someone cannot tend to a "small" annoying issue like this, what would they do if there were something more serious going on with your engine??? Rod knock or small oil leak they should all be treated the same way.

41 - 60 of 236 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.