Ford Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
I put my brand new engine in last year and same thing. I dont blame the engine building at all, these engines just do that with boost snd no vacuum pump. For me it was no big deal a quarter size oil drop every week or so. And it was coming from the exact same area (I too have the quicktime bellhousing and it dripped right from where yours is. Pretty sure mine was the rear main when I took it apart. My builder is currently refreshing engine anyway and is fixing that issue, but I have no doubt with the boost I run it will probably inevitably happen again. I need to get a vac pump at some point, I just have no room to put one is the problem.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
you have to do a better job on the pics and the dye. put it on ramps or lift one side at a time. i had the smallest crack in a pan at the top so when i parked it at an incline it would leak. i just put epoxy over the crack and that fixed it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I agree but you are missing the point I am trying to determine how much onus is on the engine builder here or is it normal for something like this to happen and then have an engine builder just say well you just have to find the leak. Or.......???

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
What are you wanting? Engine builder to drive down, pull the motor, rebuild it?

it seems like you are asking for a lot when you have not determined where the leak is. Any chance it is rear intake or PCV valve?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What are you wanting? Engine builder to drive down, pull the motor, rebuild it?

it seems like you are asking for a lot when you have not determined where the leak is. Any chance it is rear intake or PCV valve?
Did I say that? No...

Is it asking a lot when you pay 12k for an engine to have it not leaking? Ask yourself that?

I do not know what the engine builder should do that is the whole purpose of this post to try and get an idea. Honestly, I would expect a little more than, find the leak and then wash my hands of the customer. I don't know, maybe hey you do not live near me, take it to a mechanic let's get an estimate, maybe split the cost to fix it SINCE I WAS NOT ABLE TO??? That would be a good option maybe. When you go drop 12k on a engine and it leak right away, let me know what you would do and how you would feel. I work hard for my money and if I had known I would be dealing with this I would have just built the damn engine myself.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think you need to find the leak and I think he would fix it if you found it. I have chased a PCV leak before.

what parts did you supply?
Maybe I am just a little bitter because like I said I am a one man show and pulling engine/trans etc is not the easiest but also like I said, suspect how the communication went down hill once I presented the leak.

Anyway, pretty much everything and it was all new, anything else that was needed they bought and I paid them back for. I had a complete engine top to bottom, just put on accesories/headers/upper intake and pretty much was ready to go.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
And I want to point something else out, you know the cost to have them assemble it all was not a lot, I think it was 500 which really was not bad to have them build the complete engine as opposed to just the short block. So it is not like I am also asking for a full refund or something. Again I have never had this happen before and TBH paying the extra money to have an engine builder build the complete engine was not worth it in hindsight. I could have saved that money and done it myself and furthermore if you cannot assemble an engine that doesn't leak, how can I trust what you did on the inside......another valid point IMO.....

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
No engine builder is going to pay to remove/ install engine when he was not involved or paid to do it. I think it was nice of him to drive to your house to fix it (try) there. No one around my house would do that for sure.

It's to bad that you still have the leak. Again actually where is the leak coming from.

What brand oil pan is that?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Is it common for professional engine builders to build engines that leak????

Really I may sound like a dick but this is a well known engine builder supposedly, I would expect better....and when you shell out some serious coin you expect more, at least I would.

Again, I may sound like a total dick but I will default back to this, spend as much as I did for an engine, have to pull it once, have him fix it, put it all back in and have it happen again....all within the window of about 50 miles...

Moroso pan, 7qt.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I am generalizing the number a little but around 12k top to bottom including all parts and labor. 363 stroker , complete engine top to bottom.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It is what it is, at then end of the day I know what is going to happen. I am going to chase the leak, pull it all apart and find where it is coming from and at that point engine builder will say well it can't be that because I already fixed that or whatever and judging from the communication I have gotten since the first leak and responsiveness it won't go well. Like I said, I am not sure what could happen, what should happen blah blah, I was just curious what other people think or have experienced.

Maybe the moral of the story is, when you pay someone to do something take some time and have a serious discussion about the things that "may" happen and how they would resolve them. What is their responsibility or what falls under the category of "not much we can do".

Like I said, when I shell out that much money for something I expect it to be perfect. Not much more I can say here so take it for what it is worth and question/set expectations before you commit to anything.....

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh and it is not a boost issue at least I do not think since I have vented valve covers to a catch can and there was 0 oil there.
You say its not a boost issue, is your car boosted? Because I can tell you right now I have a killer venting setup and it never catches any oil. Oil isnt the problem, I dont have a blow by issue that would cause yhere to be tons of oil in the catch can, but it will inevitably cause crank case pressure with higher boost, the issue is its going to find its way out where there is the least resistance, thats usually the rear main on these cars. Ive been thinking of a 24v vacuum pump that has a stand alone battery that I can flip on and off when I get on the car heavy or on track.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
You say its not a boost issue, is your car boosted? Because I cant tell you right now I have a killer venting setup and it never catches any oil. Oil isnt the problem, I dont have a blow by issue that would cause yhere to be tons of oil in the catch can, but it will inevitably cause crank case pressure with higher boost, the issue is its going to find its way out where there is the least resistance, thats usually the rear main on these cars. Ive been thinking of a 24v vacuum pump that has a stand alone battery that I can flip on and off when I get on the car heavy or on track.
Not many miles on the engine, pretty much just broken in, never gave it much pedal to even build boost. I would agree with you but not so early, maybe after a few passes, but I dunno...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Also, at the end of the day, **** happens people make mistakes.. This guy could have built 20k engines and it is always possible to have one issue, one bad one.... hell maybe the oil pan is bad, maybe he used two bad seals or gaskets...I dunno. I however think communication and resolution are two important factors, which in this case left a lot to be desired....You can build engines and be buddies with all the engines that came out good but this just showed me that in this case when things do not go well sometimes the business doesn't wanna be your buddy anymore...

21 - 40 of 236 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.