Ford Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'87 20th Anniversary Cougar7.0 427W
5,444 Posts
So that’s who I figured put together the engine.
I have a decent memory and remember a post where woody said something about getting the 408 stuff and assembling it within the past month or two. I'd search but I'm too lazy.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I have a not so decent memory, so I couldn’t tell you. I got curious and went through a few old posts and saw that, and thought that’s who put the block together. Of course, I was wrong…
That's OK, I was wrong also. Words were correct, but for a different poster it seems.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
engine builder FAIL - {insert name here}
Mistake #1. Inflammatory thread title with FAIL in all caps. An oil leak on a SBF is virtually inevitable. In my case I had a pinhole in the RTV on the china wall that had oil dripping off the bottom of my new pan. It wasn't easy as you might think to find & fix either.

I don't care for 90% of the reflexive attacks on you, but when I ordered a "10k" short-block (including custom cam & bottom end buttoned up and higher-end heads) for my build, the two reason's I went with someone other than Woody were 1) I wanted a builder that I could drive to in a worst case scenario if there was an actual issue with the engine & 2) I was impatient & didn't want to wait.

You have no idea how lucky you were to be within driving distance of one of the most reputable engine builders around. As noted above, not only is he a solid builder (who actually drove to your house FFS), he provides invaluable information here that only an engine builder who is well versed & confident in his craft would do. Most of the other vendor types try to unethically steer posters to their products or their favorite vendor when they comment. The fact that you came to this forum where you rarely post, knowing that we would likely guess who you were talking about is kind of small of you to be honest.

As far as finding and fixing your little oil leak - I could give a flying ****. You clearly want to blame someone who wouldn't make such a mistake for some failed or defective component that neither of you could have anticipated. Be an adult and try to think about this from Jim's perspective. Stop being defensive and move on to what's important. Expand your thinking and try to imagine what likely uncommon failure mode could cause the leak to be misdiagnosed or somehow occur in the same place twice.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Is there a way to measure crankcase pressure? If so, how and what results would point to it being too much? Just curious as I’m chasing what I believe to be a RMS leak.
Using a Holley HP, I repurposed the OEM MAP sensor to measure crankcase vacuum. I hooked a vacuum hose from the MAP sensor to the dipstick tube. Works good and allowed me to compare the performance of several different PCV valves to find which one worked best for my engine.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
you are the philosopher
Is that the best you could do for someone who attempted to provide a fair response?

Lame.

As you said above - you're just trolling us now. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Flash photography Font Movie Darkness News

Reactions: venomv8
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.