Ford Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I put my brand new engine in last year and same thing. I dont blame the engine building at all, these engines just do that with boost snd no vacuum pump. For me it was no big deal a quarter size oil drop every week or so. And it was coming from the exact same area (I too have the quicktime bellhousing and it dripped right from where yours is. Pretty sure mine was the rear main when I took it apart. My builder is currently refreshing engine anyway and is fixing that issue, but I have no doubt with the boost I run it will probably inevitably happen again. I need to get a vac pump at some point, I just have no room to put one is the problem.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oh and it is not a boost issue at least I do not think since I have vented valve covers to a catch can and there was 0 oil there.
You say its not a boost issue, is your car boosted? Because I can tell you right now I have a killer venting setup and it never catches any oil. Oil isnt the problem, I dont have a blow by issue that would cause yhere to be tons of oil in the catch can, but it will inevitably cause crank case pressure with higher boost, the issue is its going to find its way out where there is the least resistance, thats usually the rear main on these cars. Ive been thinking of a 24v vacuum pump that has a stand alone battery that I can flip on and off when I get on the car heavy or on track.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It is what it is, at then end of the day I know what is going to happen. I am going to chase the leak, pull it all apart and find where it is coming from and at that point engine builder will say well it can't be that because I already fixed that or whatever and judging from the communication I have gotten since the first leak and responsiveness it won't go well. Like I said, I am not sure what could happen, what should happen blah blah, I was just curious what other people think or have experienced.

Maybe the moral of the story is, when you pay someone to do something take some time and have a serious discussion about the things that "may" happen and how they would resolve them. What is their responsibility or what falls under the category of "not much we can do".

Like I said, when I shell out that much money for something I expect it to be perfect. Not much more I can say here so take it for what it is worth and question/set expectations before you commit to anything.....
I think you might be missing a point here. Hear me out, we are dealing with aftermarket performance parts here and no matter how expensive or how good they are things fail. You can have the best engine builder in the world build something and have the best parts on it and stuff still happens, things go wrong from time to time. When talking about performance engines its even more common, which is also a reason a lot of performance shops dont give long warranties (if any at all) for race stuff. As I said above, I have the same motor as you, and I have a procharger that pushes 21psi regularly, I pull my car in the garage after a night of cruising and usually a week later when I go to move it there will be a 1-2" circle of oil right under the bellhousing where yours is leaking. When I took it apart this winter it was the rear main without a doubt and I just thought, it is what it is, ive used the best parts I can and in my opinion a top builder in the world for SBF's. I have no doubt it has nothing to do with the build quality, but moreso that these fords just have a poor design at the rear main and theres only so much that can be done.

As for your deal, I feel the builder went out of their way to remedy it and if they drovr an hour each way, worked for free in your garage, thats pretty damn good customer service IMHO. You can go ahead, tear it apart again, waste your time and Id be willing to bet you have the same thing happen again, so then whos to blame? Does it then fall on Dart, moroso or??? I personally would run it, unless its physically smoking or coming out at a big rate. Mine doesnt leak idling or anything, it is only under boost.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Also, at the end of the day, **** happens people make mistakes.. This guy could have built 20k engines and it is always possible to have one issue, one bad one.... hell maybe the oil pan is bad, maybe he used two bad seals or gaskets...I dunno. I however think communication and resolution are two important factors, which in this case left a lot to be desired....You can build engines and be buddies with all the engines that came out good but this just showed me that in this case when things do not go well sometimes the business doesn't wanna be your buddy anymore...
Also why not just say the builder? So others can chime in if theyve had the same issues? Maybe that would help to know if its a common occurrence with the parts they use, etc

·
Registered
626 Posts
I agree with you 100% but with one caveat.....

Virtually no miles, just broke in engine per builders instructions. I think your point applies more to if some time had passed, like a year went by and any number of passes at the strip and then i was pissed that something broke or started leaking....again this was pretty much from the get go....

Well, I have enough respect for this person to not say anything at least not now. The reason is like you said, he did a very nice deed to come and fix it the first time.

Like I keep saying, I am not sure exactly what to say, what to expect, it is a ****ty situation for the builder and myself. I do know one thing that if I was a business owner I would going above and beyond to communicate and try and help me work this out or just freaking say, no there is nothing i can or will do!!!

Before and during the build, amazing communication, AMAZING, as it should be. After the issue, pretty crappy. Excuses and days before getting an email response, this was from the first instance of the leak, not just the second time....

Even if they can and will do nothing, there is no excuse for such crappy communication.

So this is where I tie the story back to you and what you said. So if it is what it is then i feel the builder, the "expert" should caveat this up front. And then maybe I wouldn't be pouting like a little kid right now. As I said before, maybe it is the duty of the customer to ask and pry up front and but I still find it hard to believe that a leak like this is normal though, ESPECIALLY right away....

I do hear you though, we are dealing with old designs, this is not a 2022 engineered engine...but at the end of the day, any reputable shop or business should be able to return an email within 24-48 hours and not a week and then keep giving a run around either help me or just tell me to go pound sand, which i feel is what they are silently telling me to do lol.

I am sure I am not the only one here that dropped some good money on an engine, just curious to see if anyone else that has had an engine built had an issue like this.
I do hear you, maybe its just a simple misunderstanding why you werent informed. I know when I had mine built I called and talked to him, asked him a million questions and he answered them all. One question I had was "will I be forced to run a vac pump because I dont have room to", he responded telling me "its a boosted SBF, it would greatly make a difference running a vac pump, if you simply cant, I wouldnt lose sleep on it but dont freak out if you see a drip of oil after beating on it". Would he of come out and said that had I not asked? Probably not honestly.

Now on to your other point, the communication, I agree is terrible for you. Thats unacceptable. I too have had concerns after I got the engine that I just wanted to run by to make sure on some things. My builder has been excellent, weve talked on the phone for hours and he answers everything and more. I also have the luxury of being a couple hours away and I get to go directly to him with my motor to have done and pick up. But again, he always gets back to me within a day or two and will answer my phone calls when I call. Ive built cars most my life, Ive always built my own motors for drag racing, etc. this is the first motor I had professionally done for resale sake if I ever did sell my car, and I can honestly say I couldnt of had a better experience with my builder. It sucks when stuff like this happen because you do feel like youre between a rock and a hard place, Ive been there with other companies regarding bad parts. I had Jegs not too long ago sell me tires that were so far out of balance that the shop wouldnt balance them because one needed 13 ounces! I call Jegs and they said sorry we wont take them back theyve been installed....... you cant know they are that far out until you install them...... I havent used Jegs since. Screw em

·
Registered
626 Posts
First of all, SBF engines or any engines don't leak oil just because "they all leak oil", that is nonsense. If they are leaking, there is a reason. No doubt that once you introduce aftermarket parts, blocks, pans, the chance of things leaking goes up. I have a 408W that is 5 years old and you could not find a trace of oil on the outside of it. On the other hand I assembled a 383 SBC stroker and it drips oil out the front of the pan.

Your engine leaks. Your builder came over and attempted to repair it. That is more than most people would even offer. It still leaks and he said take it out and he would fix it again, he is still standing by it. It is not his fault you moved across the country or wherever you did. Take him the engine and he will do it again. It is that simple. Not much more he can do or you can expect out of him. Now the way I read it is he assembled the engine and you installed it? That is why he is telling you to take the engine out of the car. I would think if he assembled and installed the engine into the car then he would be willing to do the pulling and repair.

Unless you are going to pull the engine and take it to him, you are expecting too much. It is that simple.

Your idea of taking it to a shop and having him split the bill? I would probably forget that.

Communication is probably bad because he thinks you are annoying him about a drip of oil and hope you will just leave him alone.
Are your motors boosted? Because if not youre comparing apples to *******s. These engines are notorious for leaking there with boost, its not a coincidence

·
Registered
626 Posts
Since there has been no response from Woody, I'm going out on a limb and say you bought this engine from FordStrokers. If so.....I need to go get my popcorn....lol.
Im going to go with the opposite and doubt it was him. I could be wrong but that doesnt sound like anything he would do. OP can you confirm to not drag his name through the mud?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Like I mentioned I am not going to say who built the engine but really this can be applied to anyone anywhere. Generailze this more, what should you expect when you pay X amount of dollars to have an engine built.....
Ill give you another hypothetical since youve thrown out many. You think people that spend $100,000 on a pat musi big block and go to the track and oil the track down from one reason or another do this or think hes not a professional engine builder? What about Proline, Ive seen their stuff have issues from various things as well. Now you can say its different, those are 2-3000hp engines pushing the limit. Sure they are, but there are also people every single day dealing with these issues on motors from great engine builders whether it be dirt track, drag racing, kart racing, etc etc etc. anything mechanical can and will at some point have issues. Should it happen right away? No in a perfect world it shouldnt, but it happens, it happens to the best of them. Youre not alone, and you wont be the last. The ones saying how they built this motor in the 80's thats boosted and doesnt leak a drop....... cool I guess, though I doubt it, they are in the severe minority. Crank case pressure happens in every boosted application, theres no way around it, and it also would be stupid to assume its not common on these motors. For every 1 that says theyve never had a leak in 76 years on this amazing boosted SBF, theres probably 1000 that have out of the rear main. Just search on this forum alone, I bet you find tons of threads with rear main leak. Thats your proof. For the record, my motor was brand new last year, and it was happening when I put my car on the dyno to get tuned. I had driven it maybe 100 miles. So I am in the same boat as you, Ive just taken it for what it is and drive the friggin thing.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I do not want to be a dick to anyone here and play games by not saying who built it but like I said I do not want to be a dick to who built it because they did help me the first time and I do have that much little bit of respect left for them, I am just not like that.

Even though I am "making a federal case" and blah blah and I still stand by everything I said.

I will admit at the end of the day there are many more things, far worse that could have happened or be happening so taking the severity of the situation, which is low I just don't feel it right to say who it was. Just trying to stay neutral and get people to question things a little before they just fork out money and just make sure expectations are set. That is all, and I wanted to see what all of you would have done if you were me. I do not need help to find the leak and fix it, I can do that. I was more trying to get opinions and raise awareness so someone in the future can avoid this :)
I’m assuming woody is busy.

Also, I can tell you it’s not woody. You can do a little digging and find out who it is in about 5 mins.
can you tell us it isnt? Lol look at the post right after yours

·
Registered
626 Posts
Now ai know why he wouldnt say who it is, because he knew the second it was mentioned the real story would come out. I figured that would be the case with the communication aspect. Im not going to sit here going back and forth anymore, but one thing does bother me a little. I can appreciate you not wanting to sling his name through the mud, but on the previous page you said "Im going to call REAL engine builders". Thats where I have a problem, because you claimed the whole time you werent here to talk bad about the builder and just wanted answers but then slurred him saying hes not a real engine builder. I guess whatever, end of the day you have your answers above, now he will send you whatever parts you need. For reference of what I mean.
Font Screenshot Rectangle Communication Device Electronic device

·
Registered
626 Posts
Getting an engine builder to swap gaskets etc in your driveway while you chill in the house is crazy... even crazier your on here bit ching about emails when you have his number
I thought the same thing, you invite a guy over to fix your engine and you sit in the house snd dont help out!? Thats just straight disrespect.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sorry if I work and have a job to tend to. Builder gave me a window that coincided with my job,do you have one????
Man it is so fun to respond back to these IDIOT posts!
Nope no job, Im posting from my box back in the alley off someones wifi. I was only able to afford my engine by collecting cans. The fact is when someone goes out of their way to come over when they have time, you should accommodate them. I would of went as far to take a half day off to get it figured out if it were that imperative you had him come over. But I guess Ill never understand that because you know what I do? I man the F up, take the engine out of my car and drive the 2+ hours to his house to have him fix it. Im sure he didnt charge you for gas, etc either for him to do that. So you can come up with whatever excuse you want at this point, the fact is we have a very different mentality and wont agree at this point about how you say inside while he came to your house, that is one of the most disrespectful things Ive heard in awhile. What anyone other builder would of done is make you take your own time, gas and money to rent a truck, bring the engine back to them in which they would do whatever repair needed, because its not their problem you dont have a truck, work during the times they are open, dont have time, live an hour away, etc etc. They are liable for the parts they installed on the engine or labor they did. Any REAL engine builder would of laughed in your face if you told them to come to your house on their time and fix it while you sit inside. LOL, its even hilarious typing out really.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oh and for the record, as Ive stated multiple times but Ill say it in all caps so you csn comprehend this time "I BOUGHT THE SAME EXACT MOTOR AS YOU SPENT THE SAME MONEY AND MY REAR MAIN DOES LEAK BECAUSE OF THE BOOST I RUN". Since you keep saying "when one of you spend 12k on a motor that leaks come talk to me". Ok what in the blue F*** do I win now? What do we talk about? Because you know what I did, dealt with it and chocked it up to what it was, no ones fault and a flaw that high boost doesnt do well with. So please tell me, whos being the little bi tch now? Whats your response now? Because that same engine builder you claimed didnt tell you any of this stuff when you bought it, told me everything I wanted to know, you know why? Because I asked the right questions and did my research and have grown up building cars. So wait, is it Jims fault now too you didnt happen to ask the right questions or should he of just spent 7 hours going over every detail thats ever happened in a small block ford build as to cover anything you might want to know about your $12k engine. That leads me to another point, you keep saying you spent 12k on a motor from him? How the F did you do that? I bought a complete long block with all the upgraded stuff, ARp 2000 bolts throughout, etc etc. and can go look at my receipt I know its right at 10k. Where this magical other 2k coming in Jim charged you? Because if hes only liable for the shortblock as he said, shouldnt you be accurate and say that the part hes liable for fixing is only $4500? Far cry from 12k, but its no surprise youre trying to get the shock factor and sympathy because of the hard earned money you put into it.

For the record since you mentioned before, I voted for Trump, couldnt stand Indy and have a bachelors and doctors degree. But what is true is I call people out when I see BS. And honestly I had no problem with your thread up to the point you said "real engine builder" and I found out that you sat inside while he came over. You can look back to confirm that if you like, I was more than cordial before that until I figured out you were just on a witch hunt while acting like you werent. You may not have said it was Jim but you insulted him several times in the thread and then we figured out who it was by his post. Thats when it hit the fan for you.

·
Registered
626 Posts
DUDE really are you retarded or just can't read. ENGINE BUILDER GAVE ME ONE TIME HE COULD COME OVER AND IT WAS DURING MY WORK HOURS WHEN I WAS WORKING SO I SHOULD GET FIRED FROM MY JOB SO I CAN BE CORDIAL AND SIT WITH HIM WHILE HE FIXES HIS ****UP???? MAN the retardation here doesn't stop!
No I think its you who cant read well, because if you could you would of saw where I said "I would of taken a half day off". I would of done whatever it took to accommodate him driving to my house and spending his time, gas, etc.
To help me. Tell your work you have an appointment you cant miss and will be out for a few hours. Youre working from home, dont act like you cant take off for a few hours to help, you just didnt want to. And that way had you of done that, you could see where the issue was, how he fixed it, inspected the parts he put in. Which inevitably may have stopped you from coming on here crying about how he screwed your engine up twice. You want to know how everyone on here knows your just a whiny little troll? Because you purposely failed to mention anything about what Jim did to remedy the situation in your OP. You made him out to be the bad guy and said he failed, never mentioned him coming to your house or doing anything to help. Just stayed how he wouldnt answer the phone or emails, etc etc. it wasnt til he got on we hear the true story. Funny how you left thise bits and pieces out, why? Because even YOU know it makes you look like a turd.

PS: Did I one time personally attack you until you started calling me or others retards, brainless, fools,the list goes on. Nope never called you a single thing. The worst I said was that sitting in side was disrespectful. You couldnt take that and started spouting off about we are Joe Biden supporters, retards, brainless fools, etc etc. Im mean, wow........ if you cant see your fault there I cant help you. And still every response you muster up out of that intelligent vocabulary of yours has retard in it. Im still waiting for your reply, you several times said "talk to me when you spend 12k and your engine leaks", here I am! What about your response to the fact you never paid Jim 12k for your motor, it was just a number thrown out like you gave him 12k as to get sympathy on the money you didnt give him. You paid him for a shortblock. What youre doing would be like saying there was a problem with your AFR heads and coming onhere saying "how would you feel if you paid a company 12k for heads that are messed up?" On top of this you keep reiterating to check on the builder before giving them money on how they would handle it......so wait coming to your house to fix isnt enough now? Do you really in your little world believe that Jim would of wasted his time to drive to your house, supply new parts, just to install them incorrectly so you have a leak again? Why in the F*** would he do that? Youre delusional.

·
Registered
626 Posts
WOW WOW YES this is great I can finally prove your retardation, man you guys keep drawing me out but it is fun....HERE IS A CUT AND PASTE FROM MY FIRST POST....

"Contact engine builder. He says pull the engine and bring it to me I will fix it. Whoa, I have to rent a truck and pull the engine and bring it to you? Finally I get him to agree to come and fix it at my house as he lives about 1 hour away. This was very cool of him and much appreciated. So I pull the engine, put it on a stand and he does the work and says give it a couple days and you are good to go."

This absolutly proves your retardation. who is the troll now, BYE BYE dumbass...
Yes you just left out the part where your disrespectful ass sat inside while he fixed your junk. That was the point. But there you go again, cant seem to get past a post without the word retard in it in some form. Lololol. But now all the capitals start making an appearance too in responses. Youre unstable, Im actually happy for Jim he doesnt have to deal with you anymore.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If Woody would've just spread this dudes butt cheeks and sucked a fart right out of his ass after he finished working at the dude's house, this thread would've never happened! It's all Woody's fault! His customer service just doesn't cut it anymore.
Wait, so are you saying at one point his customer service was so good he was performing the unscrupulous acts on customers? I must of bought my engine after he went down hill, I didnt get this treatment and even picked mine up at his house!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Alright I think weve all taken some good shots at this point. Lets all just let bubba87363GT go on his merry way and not figure out his oil leak. After all "he will get around to it at some point", even though it was do detrimental at the moment he had to make a post about it right now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.