Ford Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving the name blank for now because I want to see how this will get resolved but it is not looking well.

I wanted to post up and see what the community thinks.

I buy an short block from this builder and bring him all of the rest of my new parts, they very kindly agree to buy what else is needed and assemble the complete engine intake to oil pan for a great price which was great.

Communication before and during the build was amazing!

I pickup the engine, bring it home, install and break in and after parking it the next day I notice an oil leak the size of a silver dollar. Now, if this was a back yard build and some no name place, no surprise, but this is a well known place and a 12k engine should not leak a drop. So I contact the builder, starting to see communication is not that good, getting crickets and when I do get a reply it is excuses on why they can't answer the phone. The gist of the back and forth was I had to find the leak. So I dyed the oil and after pulling the trans and bell I traced it to either the rear main or pan gasket. Now, mind you, one man show here, I am just one guy so this is not an easy job but hey it is what it is.

Contact engine builder. He says pull the engine and bring it to me I will fix it. Whoa, I have to rent a truck and pull the engine and bring it to you? Finally I get him to agree to come and fix it at my house as he lives about 1 hour away. This was very cool of him and much appreciated. So I pull the engine, put it on a stand and he does the work and says give it a couple days and you are good to go.

Okay great! Put the engine back in, trans and all and great, now I can enjoy my car and get it tuned.

During this whole time I was planning a move, so now I do not live 1 hour away but I am wayyyy down south, 22 hours away from him now. I move, get my cars shipped and l park the mustang in the garage.

Sure enough, look under the mustang ( maybe about 30 miles since he replaced the pan gasket and rear main and there is the same leak, potentially the same since I have not pulled the trans to dye it again but there is a silver dollar of oil under the car.

Reach out to engine builder again, same crappy communication and pretty much I am told again, find the leak, there is no way it can be leaking there again. Okay well I didn't change anything else, nothing was done to the car so common sense would tell me it is coming from the same place. Again, he tells me, find the leak. I ask okay so I have to pull the trans and engine again? What then? As far as I can tell I am [email protected] outta luck and pretty much being told to go pound sand. Because okay, let's say it is not the oil pan or rear main again, no matter what is leaking it was not from something I did because they assembled the whole engine minus the valve covers but I know for a FACT they are not leaking.
What would you do, just curious because this has been a dream to have an engine built like this and finally finish my car and now to have to deal with this has been a nightmare that I know most likely won't get resolved, especially since I am living 22 hours away now.

Has anyone else built the engine of their dreams, spent a ton of money to have this or worse happen, what happened?

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,164 Posts
Every engine I have ever owned has ended up leaking or seeping oil from somewhere. Even stuff that is new from the factory in a new car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your pets and family. LOL. The part of the engine that is leaking of course!
haha!

Well I only have pics from the first time it was leaking. This time I have not had a chance to dye it yet let alone muster up the energy to pull the trans and bell housing again, which includes having to loosen the long tubes.....but it is coming down the same path it seems stopping and dropping from the bottom of the bell housing...

I just moved 1200 miles so it has not been front and center physically but it has been a mental disturbance...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Are you sure it’s not leaking from somewhere like a valve cover?

Did you use loctite when you put the flex plate or flywheel on?

Reactions: Bentley

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure it’s not leaking from somewhere like a valve cover?
10000% percent sure, I even had a local mechanic check that becuase that was my first concern. They checked and said no and then the first time I pulled the engine I personally confirmed that and since then the valve covers have not been touched or off.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
10000% percent sure, I even had a local mechanic check that becuase that was my first concern. They checked and said no and then the first time I pulled the engine I personally confirmed that and since then the valve covers have not been touched or off.
I edited in a second question. Did you use loctite when you put the flex plate or flywheel on?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing is that engine builder says there is NO way it can be leaking again from the oil pan gasket or rear main. But if that is all that was leaking the first time and then he fixed that and now nothing has changed, I mean I have really not even driven the car! I mean we are all human and make mistakes, I am sure there is a chance it could still be leaking from there and now the issue is it is all put back together and 1200 miles away......

Also, just the change in communicaiton and demenor from before they had my money to after there was an issue. 180 degrees..... :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I edited in a second question. Did you use loctite when you put the flex plate or flywheel on?
Well, great question! So, when it was leaking the first time engine builder pretty much blamed me and said it was BC I used loctite and not thread sealer. So I made sure to check this when I took the flywheel off. The bolts were bone dry! Only loctite in the threads. Now, to make sure this was not an issue I did as he said and when I cleaned and put back together I used thread sealer as he wanted me to. So unless this is leaking then I dunno.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Well, great question! So, when it was leaking the first time engine builder pretty much blamed me and said it was BC I used loctite and not thread sealer. So I made sure to check this when I took the flywheel off. The bolts were bone dry! Only loctite in the threads. Now, to make sure this was not an issue I did as he said and when I cleaned and put back together I used thread sealer as he wanted me to. So unless this is leaking then I dunno.
So the first time you put the flywheel on there was no loctite on them? if not, they will surely seep oil

Loctite will seal threads just fine, especially if you use the gel or the stick so idk why he wouldn’t want you using that on flywheel bolts.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the first time you put the flywheel on there was no loctite on them? if not, they will surely seep oil

Loctite will seal threads just fine, especially if you use the gel or the stick so idk why he wouldn’t want you using that on flywheel bolts.
oh nooo noo. The first time I put it togehter I used loctite and he said it was leaking there because I used loctite and not thread sealer. But with the loctite it was not leaking there. yea I agree with you. I have seen debates online whether to use loctite or thread sealer but in the end I have heard both work fine I just used thread sealer when I put it back together after he fixed it the first time so he could not use that against me again....

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
oh nooo noo. The first time I put it togehter I used loctite and he said it was leaking there because I used loctite and not thread sealer. But with the loctite it was not leaking there. yea I agree with you. I have seen debates online whether to use loctite or thread sealer but in the end I have heard both work fine I just used thread sealer when I put it back together after he fixed it the first time so he could not use that against me again....
Ok, I was confused because I read that you used loctite, but then said the threads were bone dry, but I get what you meant now.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,164 Posts
A drip on the floor is a leak. Have you traced where the drip is coming from on the engine? The picture wasn’t very telling to my eyes

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A drip on the floor is a leak. Have you traced where the drip is coming from on the engine? The picture wasn’t very telling to my eyes
Not sure what rear main was used the second or first time. Not had a chance to trace the second leak. The first time I dyed it it was near the back bottom of the oil pan and rear main. This time I have gone farther than what you see in the pics.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.