Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing my new flywheel (5-speed swap) and when I was pushing on the flywheel the whole crank moved towards the front of the car. I understand you should have a little endplay, but I think I have a little too much. I just put the 331 stroker engine in this past summer. I only have like 6500 miles on it. What could cause this. I just hope this isn't a huge deal. I can't afford to tear apart the whole engine. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could someone help me if possible. I would like to find this out as soon as I can.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Man if you can move the crank like you said i think your in deep S**T !!!:eek:

END PLAY is checked with a dial caliper and should be only a few thousands !!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That doesn't sound good. With my luck it would have to be bad.
This sucks. These are the things that make me want to sell my car. ARGH!!!!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Man dont sweat it, its just a machine. who put you motor together? I dont see how it could move as far as you said unless you have the wrong thrustbearing !! When i did my 347 it was so tight we had to sand it down to get even 5 thousands play or something like that i cant really remember what the specs are..

Hopefully someone else can add some sunlight to this post;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of my friends put it together. He has put a lot of engines together. He said all tolerances were to spec. I can't understand why it would be this way. He did say that it will feel like there is more endplay than there is. He was going to come over and take a look at it for me. Well, I guess if I have to pull the engine and put new bearings in it I will have to throw that stud girdle on that I have always wanted. That is one way to look on the bright side. HA HA.

Your right they are just machines, but after putting all that time and money into them once in a while they just piss you off.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
fast50 said:

Your right they are just machines, but after putting all that time and money into them once in a while they just piss you off.
I hear that, ive came very close on many occasions to just dropping a match and walking away:livid:

Good luck bro

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
94BLOWNCOBRA said:
I hear that, ive came very close on many occasions to just dropping a match and walking away:livid:
I can relate to that! I've felt the same way many, many times.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
94BLOWNCOBRA said:
END PLAY is checked with a dial caliper and should be only a few thousands !!!
That's true of the transmission input shaft (should be zero thousandths) but IMHO it is not uncommon to have significant endplay on a crankshaft, particularly with a manual-trans car where the clutch action loads and unloads it all the time. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's freak-out time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I hope you are right. I checked the book and the max is like .0012 in. for endplay. Mine is easily measured with a ruler or tape measure. I hope it is just a thrust bearing. The car runs fine. No bearing noise or anything. It pulls real hard and does everything a running car should. I don't know what to do. I really don't want to pull it, but I am afraid that the engine might go when I need it most. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
396 Posts
In my experience, the engine is usually very eager to tell you if it's unhappy, and you'll usually get some indicator before it fails altogether (depends on what fails, of course).

If it runs fine, makes no funny noises, and performs in every way as expected, then I think it's reasonably safe to assume that it really *is* okay. Just add this to your knowledge base -- "This much endplay turns out to be okay, at least for this motor".

Dave

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you think I will have anyh problem with it being a 5-speed and by me pressing the clutch it will put pressure on the plate and press on the flywheel. Wouldn't that make more pedal movement and make the clutch wear faster? I am new to the 5-speed thing. I was just thinking that if I press the flywheel by hand it moves towards the front of the car. If it doesn't move back then I should be fine, but if it moves back and forth like it does now, then I would have a problem with the clutch.
Any thoughts on this??????????

thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
Even if it had a *lot* of play, that wouldn't matter:

When you have the clutch pressed, you are pushing the throwout bearing against the pressure plate release fingers, in the direction of the flywheel. So the entire time it's released, you're applying pressure against the flywheel (and quite a lot of it -- it's amazing how much force a pressure plate has). So your engagement wouldn't be affected, even if you had an inch of play.

What I'm trying to say is, won't matter at all, you're fine. Just take a deep breath and drive the heck out of it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
a good rule of thumb is 0.007" to 0.010", of crankshaft endplay. You shouldn't be able to move it very easily with your hands. Its usually checked with a gauge and pushing the crankshaft end to end with a screwdriver or similar...

knoxville

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone else have any thoughts on the matter. Any input is going to help. It will probably come down to me rebuilding it again, or just putting in new bearings. I can't imagine that after like 8,500 miles I would have to machine the crank. I don't know. It just sucks.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If i were you i would let it just ride. Get a magnetic oil drain bolt and just see after a 1000 miles or so if its got "massive" debris on it.

I mean you would think the rod allignment would be a issue with that much travel. BTW whats your oil pressure look like ?

Dont feel to bad i just found out yesterday the crazy ticking noise while under boost was not a header gasket like i thought but "both" head gaskets:barf: Found out while under the car and antifreeze dripped down from the back of the engine. Both bottom sides of the heads are wet !!

These 94s are a ***** to tear down so im thinking of just doing a 331 now instead of just gaskets..

Good luck bro...

·
Registered
396 Posts
You seem pretty worried -- why not just let it be? If you hadn't swapped the tranny, you would never have felt this supposed endplay, and you'd be happily motoring along right now. Perhaps you felt something else move, and mistook it for the crank moving? If you are really worried, have a professional get under there and really check it out, you are probably not going to get the warm fuzzy feeling you need from posting on the Corral.

You sound worse than me, and I'm famous in my family for being the overly paranoid one when it comes to my car. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I have to be worried. The thing that started my whole mess was when I threw a ring gear bolt out the diff cover at the track, then my balancer went bad and then my crank broke in half. So I hear and see ever little thing that goes on in my car. That is the only reason I am worried. I just put a lot of money into my engine. Oh, by the way, my oil pressure is like 50 psi. Yes I have a real Autometer guage. One idea I had was that my block is an 87 block and the kit I ordered was for a 94. So maybe the thrust bearing is different. I checked at work (Advance Auto) and in 94 they changed the design of the thrust bearing. So maybe the 94 was thinner which would cause the end play.

Thanks again for the input.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts