Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the deal. Hit something in the road on my home tonight and put a nice little hole in my oil pan. Obviously, it started to leak and before I knew it, there was some smoke. I shut the car off immediately. Besides having to pull the motor now to replace the oil pan, what are the chances that all the internals are okay and not damaged? In other words, did I burn up any rings, do I have to rebuild it, or did anything get really messed up? I am so furious right now, I can't even explain it. I don't know what to do anymore. Please help. Anyone. Everyone. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
527 Posts
well how fast did u shut it off.

u could allways just patch it in the car-- but thats stright ghetto

·
Registered
61 Posts
A friend of mine with a SBC had his oil changed at a gas station he always did business with. The kid at the gas station drained the old oil and changed the filter, but then he got distracted and forgot to put in new oil.
My friend drove more than 7 miles before the motor locked up.

I think you're probably OK.

The gas station owner put a new engine in for my friend, the kid joined the Army.

Ed

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
I would defintally check out the parts depending on how bad the pan is. How many miles did you drive before you realized it?

SVT

·
Registered
527 Posts
i worked at a shop, and they didnt put oil in an expedition and they drove ti around are little shop, and there were metal slivers in the oil.

5000 dollar **** up

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I lost oil pressure and that is when I shut the car off. I drove probably not even a mile after impact to when i shut it off. Is a compression check the best option to know whether something is wrong internally or not? I can't believe this man. Someone else mentioned checking the bearings. Any other tips, tricks, things to help me. Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I broke my oil pump drive shaft when I was racing one night. It happened at a good 6,000 RPM and I didn't notice that the oil pressure was gone. I heard the valve train though, it was really loud. A FEW MILES later I glanced down at the guages and there was no oil pressure. I shut it off and pulled it home. The next day I jacked up the engine and replaced the shaft, pump and that was that. It runs great with high oil pressure a year later.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i think u will be ok 2 i woul try to patch it 2 fill it up with oil and see what happen is all is good then u can put another oil pan i would not pull tyhe motor except as a last resort. nor would i want to pull it put a pan on it only tp find out it is screwed up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
if its small enough to weld a piece of patch metal on, how big is the risk of starting a fire with whats left in the pan? I'm asking this assuming the bottom of the car is cleaned well and the patching attempt is made with the motor in the car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There are some great epoxys out there that will hold up. I don't think he really needs to weld a patch. If he welds, then all the residual oil will become thick crud if it does not catch fire. If it is a small hole, then he can use a punch to push in some metal and make the hole round, tap it, and put a plug in it. Kinda like installing an oil return for a supercharger.

As a side note, I once ran my '87 Jimmy out of oil to the point that the lifters collapsed and the engine died due to no valve lift. Filled it with oil, let it sit overnight, put 40k more miles on it until my wife took out a fence and some mailboxes with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts