Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my works parking lot at about 2:45 AM...and well my car was making this awful screeching noise whenever the clutch was in or when I was stopped at a light....

Theres no lack of performance, powers all there...theres no noise when I've got my foot on the pedal...

And half way home the clutch became reallly really loose....compared to normal that is...

Also this sound sounds like it is coming from the passanger side up near the firewall...

it's like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerreeeeeek....sorry, but you get the idea....

I'm thinking of waking up early and taking it to the dealership in the morning cuz i have like 250 miles left on my warrenty....

But I could use some help diganosing the problem

Thanks

Anthony

·
Registered
13 Posts
Could be the throw out bearing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
noise

It is the throw out bearing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this something that would be covered by the warrenty I have?

I bought the car a month ago from this Lincoln/Mercury dealership and they gave me a 4 month/3000 mile warrenty....

Is this usually covered in fords warrenty's?

If not, how long, and how much does it take to fix this problem? :confused:

Thanks

Anthony

·
Registered
68 Posts
If it is the T/O bearing, it is likely not covered under warranty, but it never hurts to check. It shouldn't cost too much to get it done, but I would upgrade to an aftermarket clutch while they are in there. The stockers don't hold up too well.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I agree, it IS the TOB. Mine did the same thing.
I got a Timkin bearing from AutoZone.It was $20. Problem is that it costs like $250 to install.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what my warrenty says...

"Transmission"

Transmission case and all internal parts including torque converter and transfer case, including internal parts, seals and gaskets and the governor assembly.

Now does the throw out bearing fall into that??

Anthony

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's an update

I spoke with my service advisor about 10 mins ago, she said that I need not only a throw out bearing, also a pivot bearing (??) and a whole new clutch with a resurfacing of the flywheel...

She said about 50 percent would be covered under warrenty...
But she wanted to check for sure so she'd call me in the morning...

I happened to mention that I've only owned the car for a month and that one of the key selling points for me when I bought it was that the salesman said it was a brand new clutch...

I'm a little upset:mad:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It might have a new clutch in it. The stock TOB will do that if it's not adjusted properly. After they fix it, I recommend that you get a UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster (keep the stock cable). Then keep it adjusted so that you have 1/4-1/2" slack at the top of the pedal.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If it's your throwout bearing, you should swap your rear end gears. Replacing the throwout bearing adds little to the cost of a gear swap. In fact, I'd recommend to just about anyone who gets a gear swap to replace the throwout bearing as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had that exact same thing happen. I had the used car warranty as well. In my case, as long as the clutch wasn't making any noise when you bought it (and you bought it anyway) then they should cover it. They did in fact cover it in my case. Since the bearing was bad, not technically the rest of the clutch, I had to pay for the disk and pressure plate and pilot bearing. parts only. The labor is the same to install only the t/o bearing so I thought that was fair. Just remember you have rights. Stand strong and go as high as you need to in the chain of command.

...and by the way, the throw out bearing and rear end gears have nothing whatsoever to do with each other and aren't related to each other in any way shape or form. To add a gear swap to that project would cost exactly what a gear swap alone would cost at any other time. $400-$500 total including parts. Not sure what the deal is there.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The blind leading the blind

BlackOnBlackCobra96 said:
If it's your throwout bearing, you should swap your rear end gears. Replacing the throwout bearing adds little to the cost of a gear swap. In fact, I'd recommend to just about anyone who gets a gear swap to replace the throwout bearing as preventative maintenance.
.....which brings me to my next point...DON'T SMOKE CRACK!!!

Dude, whoever told you that the throwout bearing was an easy fix during a gear swap should be beaten, tar & feathered, and left in a dark prison cell with a guy named Bubba who hasn't seen a woman in 20 years.

The throwout bearing rides the tranny's input bearing retainer insided your bellhousing. When you push in your clutch pedal, it's the throwout bearing that is pulled against the teeth of the pressure plate and removes pressure from the clutch disc. This is what "disengages" your transmission when you push the clutch pedal.

The TOB is easily replaced during a clutch or tranny swap. Any disassembly or removal of the rearend would have no effect on the TOB whatsoever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts