• Keep my mechanical flex fan?

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I switch my mechanical flex fan over to an electric fan? Will I see any cooling problems? HP gains?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Electrics are worth a solid 5-10 hp. You won't have cooling problems if you use a good fan (Mark VIII or SN95). You will need to upgrade to a 3G alternator.

Stay away from the POS Black Magic.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You'll be fine. Do you use A/C? You live in a mild enough climate and have a n/a car. Set your idle as low as possible. I set my idle at 700 or so. (Once the car had a high idle problem and it refused idle any lower that 1200rpm and the car over heated in traffic. This was with the stock fan.) I have a n/a car, don't use a/c, live in the mid-west and have no problems. I do have a large radiator. I use the Black Magic fan. I had it on for two years without any trouble. I was making 305rwhp at the time. The swap was good for 1 tenth/ 1 mph at the track. This was with a short belt. The p/s pump sucks up more power than the factory fan.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Ramchargers electric fan on my car and it really Sucks(air that is)! doesnt keep it as cool as the mechanical fan but it stays around the m in normal on the guage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone have any idea how much cfm the stock flex fan pulls?

·
Registered
729 Posts
A mechanical CLUTCH fan or FLEX fan? Big difference. If it's a flex fan get rid of it. They eat more hp to spin. Do a search in this forum for flex fan and you'll find quite a few posts covering the hp losses from a flex fan.

·
Registered
312 Posts
the blades on a flex fan straighten out as the fan speed increases.

Everyone says they waste more HP then the clutch fan, but I don't see how it's possible. I had a flex fan on my last car and I didn't notice any difference in hp after swapping it in for the the clutch fan, the only thing I noticed was that the flex fan was alot lighter.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Think about it MPA......what makes the blades flatten out? It's the air pushing against them. The faster you spin it the more resistance against the fan and they flatten out. It eats hp to sping that fan against that wall of air.

A clutch fan, when not at it's thermal "on" point simply slips a bit. Elec fan obviously only creates an additional current load and can be switched off completely. Car Craft did a nice dyno test on fans last year or the year b4. Elec fan won, HD thermal clutch next.....flex was a ways down the list.

·
Registered
312 Posts
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I never realized why they straighten out. Now it all makes sense :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn...That makes sense. I never thought of it that way. Do you have a link or any info on that dyno test? Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK, let me refraise this. Does anyone know what kind of CFM the stock plastic clutch fan move?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would think centrifical force makes the blades of a flex fan straighten out, not the air pushing against them?

Even if it was the air pushing against them, once thier straight, there is no more air pushing against them. they are supposed to use less power, not more. Makes sense to me. Once they are straight, there is no "air wall", where a non flexible blade will have that drag of biting the air at any speed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mach 1,
Centrifugal force wants to make the fan blades fly out from the center of the water pump shaft. Just FYI.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah, I guess your right. Im not a fan of flex fans, but I know a couple supposedly knowledgable people running them, and the theory is no power loss at high rpm. Even if they arent "pulling" air at high RPM, I guess there is a drag of the air pushing the blades straight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts