Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know this is the Windsor forum, and I've posted my M112 and Whipple builds on here in the past. Since the powers that be here on the Corral decided to not allow images hosted on private servers, now both of those monstrous threads are useless to anyone, and the hours of work I've put into them wasted. So I've moved my development projects over to youtube. I'm still Windsor based (Dart Iron Eagle Sportsman); 8.2 deck 365 ci. I've been working on a viable electric turbo, and I think we've succeeded. Of course, this was just the first test, and there's more to be had, but the results are pretty eye opening. I figured since I've been on here for so long, I'd very much like to share this project with you all. Feel free to ask any questions.

Oh, we start the video with a fairly epic burnout. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
you can just post the skinny ?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't it more of an electric supercharger?
Yes, you are 100% correct. But sadly, when looking at the metrics, "electric turbo" is search far more often than "electric supercharger."

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
isnt that as simple as adding a tag?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Can you post some closeups of the "turbo"? I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you post some closeups of the "turbo"? I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing.
I actually have a ton of videos on the build (kind of like my old threads here that had about 3,000 posts between the two and hundreds of thousands of views until all that got wasted). Here's the playlist:

But here's a good look at it, right at the beginning of this video:

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Impressive gains. what do you need to do for more boost? I might have missed it, based off s trim? Does electric need oil?

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
188 Posts
Impressive gains. what do you need to do for more boost? I might have missed it, based off s trim? Does electric need oil?
Centrifugal style blower. Needs RPM from the electric motor driving it for more boost and of course airflow. That’s my guess and assumption. Electric motors are almost instantaneous with RPM hence why he is getting 5 off the hit and maintaining it, the motor gets to the RPM quickly and stays there.I am also assuming it can be either self contained or line fed. It’s essentially just a centrifugal head unit driven by a motor instead of a belt.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, suprised me to be honest. There's still a lot to be done. I go over the data logs from both the car's ECU and the blower's ESC (electronic speed controller) and go into detail here:

But there's a TON more left in it. We didn't leave on "full boost" - it was still ramping up; and we didn't touch the electric motor's timing (yes, brushless motors do have timing, much like ICE engines); the batteries were a bit on the cool side, and of course, we spun the slicks like crazy at about 80 mph. And then there's adding timing to the engine itself... along with a bunch of other efficiency tricks. I think 9's are pretty easily achievable.

·
11,167 Posts
What is the cost?
For what people are charging for CAI these days, the delta cost is probably attractive.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol. And I've got a vid for that too:

That was at that time; but you can see a "parts list" of sorts in that video. Now I'm up to about 5 grand. But keep in mind - there's a lot of "development costs" in that number. It could probably be duplicated for a good bit less than that; but it's really dangerous as hell. I've had a few close calls - mostly fires and explosions.

Here's the aftermath of one of the fire/explosions:

And what I replaced it with (and what it cost):

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
245 Posts
Great job on the video. Impressive results and you’re just getting started. Very interesting for sure. Keep up the good work

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. The eye opening thing is that we're picking up about 140-150 hp from only 4.4 psi. The engine makes about 520 flywheel hp (we have a dyno video too - of course we do):

But that was a pretty early test with smaller impeller/motor/ESC and 1 set of batteries. We did get a good baseline N/A test. Since then I added a 100mm TB - thus the 520 fwhp.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
245 Posts
The car is designed to come alive with some boost. The increase in performance does not surprise me as much as you being able to maintain boost through the RPM range as you havewith some tiny batteries in a small wood box. Super cool for some homebrewed stuff! And I don’t mean homebrewed as a negative. Its said out of respect for what you have accomplished and tested.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
To bad it is on YouTube. I don't use companies that actively engage in Censorship. I know you put a lot of work into it, just disappointed that you chose YouTube. There are other video hosting sites, but I realize that they would not get the traffic you are looking for.

Reactions: tmoss and 65fasback

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
To bad it is on YouTube. I don't use companies that actively engage in Censorship. I know you put a lot of work into it, just disappointed that you chose YouTube. There are other video hosting sites, but I realize that they would not get the traffic you are looking for.
Hahahaha
private companies have a right to control the content on their site as you have a right to make a thread political for absolutely no reason. Hopefully this site starts to censor this nonsense.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Hahahaha
private companies have a right to control the content on their site as you have a right to make a thread political for absolutely no reason. Hopefully this site starts to censor this nonsense.
Yes. There is a fundamental misunderstanding of the First Amendment across the Country right now. The First Amendment only applies to protections of free speech from the Government. If you aren't the Government, you can limit or control whatever speech you want. You can also reap the risks and benefits of said speech. There are no protections from censorship from Google or Microsoft or Breibart or WaPo or any other private or publicly owned source. Rather than complain, "vote" by not supporting those hosts and move on being a part of it or not.

Now back to the very interesting electric boost talk....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Since the powers that be here on the Corral decided to not allow images hosted on private servers,
Really? All of my images from the past 3 years are hosted privately and are still up.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts