Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking of going with an electric fan. Right now, I am leaning towards the ramcharger. http://www.ramchargers.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/Product_Search.d2w/report?prnbr=674003

I will need to rig up an overflow if I go with this. I like my engine nice and clean, so the last thing I want to do is have some overflow bottle hanging out in the open. Has anyone put an overflow bottle in the fender, or maybe under the radiator support in front of the battery?

Also, do you guys have a 130 alt?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I went with the Mark VIII fan and 130 amp alternator. I paid about $165 when everything was said and done. Also the mark VIII fans flows somewhere around 4300 cfms.

·
Registered
651 Posts
oh yeah and as for the overflow i mounted it right to the fan shroud. another option i an aluminum overflow you can get from summit for $50.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My electric fan isn't one of the bigger ones and I was able to fit the stock overflow right next to it. I'm no perfectionist, so I have it zip tied to the radiator, holds pretty well.

And as for a 130amp alt....I think it's almost neccesary, but I also have pullies. Even before the fan, at night with the lights on and the pullies, my lights would dim. Before the 3g alt, at night with the lights+fan on I sometimes had to keep the revs up a little cuz I didn't like how low my batt gauge was going. Since the 3g alt, with the fan+lights on, the batt gauge dips to about half, maybe a little under. So I say it's pretty neccesary.

Matt:blam:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I used the overflow bottle from a 4 cyl car. Not the nicest looking but works. I do not have P/S but I do run an AC eliminator pulley on that side of the motor and have no clearance problems.

Ryan

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

That's my $15 summit catch bottle.

I don't really like where it is so i'm gonna relocate it inside the fender out of site. Mght be a ***** to check it, but i haven't had to yet

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am using a Black Magic fan kit. It gives you a bracket to mount the original over-flow to but I thought that looked terrible. I bought a black Summit catch can but have it set up as a recovery tank. On the end of the tank without the open/close valve the tank has a small vent hole. So I have a hose running from the radiator to the bottom of the catch can and leave the valve open all the time. This allows coolant to enter the can and later be drawn back into the radiator. There is also a nipple at the top of the can that I capped off with the appropriate rubber plug and hose clamp.

I would not install ANY type of electric fan on a '93 and older Mustang without upgrading to the 130 amp alternator. I have measured the amperage draw from my Black Magic while it is running and it pulls approximately 15 amps and almost twice that on start-up. Now, add headlights, HVAC and stereo equipment...

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
As you know Kev, I use the ramcharger fan in my setup:

I am using the stock overflow hidden in the fender, you can see it in this picture:

Ian

·
Registered
784 Posts
Pretty cool trick IAN, too bad you really cant get to it to put coolant in.

I cut away the bottle mount from the stock shroud and mounted it next to the Black Magic fan. Actually looks pretty good and obviously works like stock.

The pics of the bottle mounted to the MK VIII fan look really sweet.

Here's one

I don't have any pics of my setup to post :(

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
B-RAY said:
Dang, that thing is ugly!
Also, isn't that just a "catch can" not a recovery tank?
does the coolant have any way of being pulled back into the radiator?
and how would you add coolant or check the level in the tank?
Yeah it's ugly...why i plan on putting it in the fender soon

It WAS a catch bottle, but if you put the bottom fitting on top (which it is if you look at the pic) and put the top one on the bottom, it makes it a recirculating bottle. I just pull the top fitting out (little oil makes it easy) to add fluid. You can see through the bottle to see where the level is.

But yes i agree...ugly bottle...into fender it goes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts