Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, which of those offers the best performance, ride quality, stance, etc, and can fit an 18" rim without rubbing? also, are there any other better quality springs? offer your opinions! please and thank you :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got the prokit with 18x9.5 wheels. It's sits perfectly and the arch of the wheel well matches the curve of the tires. :cool:

IMO the sportlines are too low.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T4B said:
I've got the prokit with 18x9.5 wheels. It's sits perfectly and the arch of the wheel well matches the curve of the tires. :cool:

IMO the sportlines are too low.
thats what i was thinking. perfect, thanks! my rears are 9.5, so thats good to know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Iceman_19 said:
alright, which of those offers the best performance, ride quality, stance, etc, and can fit an 18" rim without rubbing? also, are there any other better quality springs? offer your opinions! please and thank you :)
Sportlines are fixed-rate spring that will give a more harsh ride than the progressive-rate Pro Kit (too much for my personal taste, but many others love them). Advertised drop of Sportlines is 2", vice 1.5 for Pro Kit (cc plates will likely be required with Sportlines).

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If you want it to be nice and low get the Sportlines with some nice shocks/struts but you will need Caster Camber plates for proper wheel alignment ... other than that it looks bad aZZ!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Don't get either if you want better traction. If your wanting a drop and better handling get the sportlines you will be dissappointed in the pro-kit. The sportlines aren not to much drop but our cars were not designed to be lowered for some reason.

Josh

·
Registered
998 Posts
MustangLife said:
Don't get either if you want better traction. If your wanting a drop and better handling get the sportlines you will be dissappointed in the pro-kit. The sportlines aren not to much drop but our cars were not designed to be lowered for some reason.

Josh
The sportlines drop the car TOO much and will actually be worse for your cars handling, even though they are stiffer and lower. It has to do with the angle of the front lower control arms with respect to the ground. If the control arms are angled upwards, as they are with lowered mustangs, the front roll center (the point about which the car pivots during body roll) drops below the ground, further away from the vehilce's center of gravity (CG).

The further the roll center is from the CG, the more body roll you get.

The short version: Low is bad.

BTW, I know this from experience. Long ago, before I had completed my engineering degree and learned the principles of vehicle dynamics, I put H&R Super Sports on my 98GT. My car is LOW, but my neighbors car with Eibach prokit rolls MUCH less. We both have Illuminas front and rear.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Jahan is right. And, to keep from having bumpsteer problems (and you will notice it constantly while driving after lowering your car), the lower you go the worse it gets - you'll need to get Steeda's or UPR's balljoint kits AND go through the insanely long process of setting them up.

I had the Sportlines for months and the ride was just way too bad for me. I've had lowered cars for over 11 years, and this was just too much. I'm sure it's partly because I'm getting older too (31). In fact, now I'm looking into the Bullitt kit to make it ride better than it does now.

PS: someone said that they're not designed to be lowered, but any car with with about 3 to 4 inches of total suspension travel ( I bet it's much closer to 3 inches stock than 4 inches) will ride like hell when it's lowered 2 inches.

I can't friggin stand the look of nonlowered, 4x4 Mustangs, but I REALLY miss the awesome ride of my stock height car now.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I put the pro kit on and have been happy with them.
By the way Chad compliments on you wed site, Nice job.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I can't compare the stock ride versus the pro-kit since the previous owner installed them. I can however suggest that you change the factory struts and shocks to maintain the best ride quality possible if changing to lowering springs. The previous owner did not change the struts and shocks on my car and it did have a harsh ride. I am not sure how many miles he had drove it like this. The right rear shock was completely blown when I took it off and replaced them with the Tokico Illuminas. With the Tokicos on all four corners the ride is firm, but I would not call it harsh by any means.

So to answer your question, I like the pro-kit but plan on changing your shocks and struts in the near future if you are worried about ride quality and handling and not just looks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts