Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my EGR tube (that connects to the p-side header) on 94 Procharged GT. I have read some stuff on here where people are questioning if this effects drivability. I am experiencing problems at low RPM at cruising speeds. Can the removal of the ERG tube have anything to do with this ?

So far Im confused from reading other posts, if you have experience with this, please share with me. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
to correct the problems you are having, just plug both ends where the tube used to be by putting a penny in the end caps.
you will need to leave the EGR valve on and plugged in to keep from getting a check engine light. once you plug the ends there should be no ill effects other than when the car is cold.
all the EGR is for is putting hot gas back into the intake while the car has not warmed up.
also there are not any real performance gains to be had by removing this, but it sure makes it easier to work on the car :)

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I might add-since SN95s are notorious for pinging anyway, when you remove the EGR system without modifying the EEC via a chip, you are putting yourself more at risk for pinging. The EEC, at part throttle assumes that inert gas is part of the mixture, so it adds a ton of timing and pulls a bit a fuel to compensate. If the inert gas is not there, it's more likely to ping at part throttle settings. The EGR does not function at WOT either. Although some folks have taken it out without apparent problems.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both ends are capped off. I rescently had my engine rebuilt, this was done when the new engine was installed, because the tube was rusted and falling apart. With the new engine Im seeing this missing problem at low RPM's I have been trouble shooting this.. new plug wires, different plug gaps, new fuel filter, msd coil, still cant figure it out. I saw something on here about the lack of EGR tube possibly causing a driveability problem, and wondered...hmmm could this be contributing to my problem ? i.e. do I need to go buy a new EGR tube and put it back on my car ?

·
Registered
543 Posts
If I understand how the EGR works, and correct me if im wrong, it help the engine while cold, and helps emisions by re-burning already spent gases. this being the case i dont see how this could possibly cause a miss at all.

Eddie

·
Registered
476 Posts
Rednels said:
If I understand how the EGR works, and correct me if im wrong, it help the engine while cold, and helps emisions by re-burning already spent gases.
Eddie
Ok, I'll correct you! :D

EGR is used to dilute the fuel/air charge during normal driving and lower combustion temps. This reduces the production of nitrogen oxides (smog). It is typically shut OFF during warm up, idling, and WOT.

Disconnecting it on a ping-prone engine can definitely aggravate pinging, as it increases cylinder pressure in an operating regime that typically has advanced timing, ie: cruise to mild acceleration.

·
Registered
543 Posts
good explanation man...I stand corrected :)

but I still dont see how it could cause a miss??

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thanks guys for the explanations. Now, question is... could it cause a slight miss (just an occasional cut out) at cruising speeds. Low RPM's like cruising at 55 mph ?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I doubt the EGR removal would cause any sort of miss. I have seen some aftermarket ignitions causing light throttle stumbling. An Accel 300 I have will do this, and a Crane HI-6S will not. I suspect digital noise, but what do I know. This area of missing/stumbling coincides with a brief lean condition that goes away with a touch more load. The SN95 EEC is very bad about this, while switching to an A3M (with PIH) pretty much banished it.

I figure you have a hot ignition with the blower, so you might want to bypass it and see if the miss cleans up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts