Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what exactly do you all have to do, to not run a EGR spacer? i see places that have the EGR spacer delete throttle linkage plate...but what do you do with the two hoses that go to it?

when ppl talk about deleting the EGR is that what they mean is the EGR spacer or is there a bunch more stuff to the EGR??

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
You will have to bypass the smog pump so that the EGR is non functional. Do a search for Smog pump and you should turn up some good info on deleting it and the hoses with it.

For the EGR, if you just get a delete plate, you may have to use a 1/2" spacer on the intake to clear the heater core hardpipes on the manifold.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
Smog pump (air pump) and EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) are two differnt systems. The smog pump is used to push air (oxygene) into the exhaust system either into the head, or at the cat to ignite undburnt hydrocarbons. The smog pump aids the catalytic converter in reducing HC emissions, as well as reducing CO.

The EGR valve reduces HC output by filling a portion of the combustion chamber with an inert gas (exhaust) during low power demand periods like highway cruiseing. This reduced intake charge reduces total HC produced, as well as lowers combustion chamber temperatures and pressures. The result is the EGR also reduces NOx output.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iv already bypassed the smog pump, and the intake im looken at running requires a 1 inch spacer

i did notice on the back side of the EGR there are two holes where you can see something bolts onto it..what goes there?(looked at stock egr spacer thats in the basement)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The EGR bolts to the EGR spacer and then the EVP bolts to the EGR valve.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What's the difference if you have it or not? I think there's a feed back module on the EGR for the computer, and at WOT the EGR is supposed to close anyway.
I've blocked off EGR valves with carburated engines because it makes them easier for me to jet and set. On engines that have the EGR in the spacer, I plug the exaust crossover passages in the heads, and fill the spacer with epoxy. I use a flat surface with a sheet of sandpaper, and cartridge rolls to clean it up.
You got me wondering though, tomarrow I'm going to check it out on an engine I have in storage, it's an '89.
Let me know if there's a gain in power by doing this.
Later.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
soooo if i dont wanna run a EGR spacer what exactly do i have to do??

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Well the easiest way I have seen is buy the Ron Morris kit:

$70.

Add about a 1/2" intake spacer, 30-50 bucks.

Then plug any vacuum lines you have remaining.

If you want to go farther to clean up the engine bay, you can remove the pipes from the heads to the cats. Plus the back of the heads with a bolt or pipe plug. Remove the vacuum selenoids on the rear passenger fenderwell and plug the vacuum lines. Then if you really want to clean up the engine bay, remove the smog pump, all lines and plug the vacuum hoses there. Run a short belt to compensate or get an eliminator kit to use the stocker.

Now this may not allow your car to pass any smog inspections! You also if you remove the smog pump will get a scan code of 44 and 94, but not a check engine light.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where can i buy one of those ron morris kits?

iv already bypassed the smog pump..just never removed it..and i dont have cats

main reason i want to delete the EGR spacer is cause im building a 408 and will most likely run a large throttle body...they dont make egr spacers for the large throttle bodys(90mm) or so

·
Registered
82 Posts
egr delete

I was thinking about doing this next summer when I get rid of my smog pump, and I have some questions.

Can't I just get the egr valve simulator (ron morris), minus the extra stuff there, get a plate to cover the hole where the egr valve attaches (UPR $10), and then an accufab 3/8" cable bracket spacer?

I didn't see anywhere on the ron morris site what size that is and if that plate accomodates the throttle linkage? Also I don't see the plate there to close off where the egr connects, like the upr part. Anyway, just tryin to figure out what all I'd need, and it seems to me what I listed would be it, I don't know what that plate is in the ron morris 'kit'? Is that assuming you keep the egr spacer?

One more question, where can I get something to plug the holes in the heads? I'll need to find something when I delete the smog.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the plate goes between the throttle body and upper intake and allows you to mount your throttle linkage...your throttle linkage bolts to the egr spacer so if you take it out you need some where to bolt it to

·
Registered
249 Posts
here is how i am removing my egr valve and spacer for my car. i am using the car for bracket racing and don't need the valve or heat that goes with it. on the stock intake with stock tb all you have to do is remove the spacer and valve assymbly. i am going to make a plate similar to the ron morris kit out of some 1/8 inch steel. the throttle cable bracket bolts to the plate just like the egr spacer. no need to change where it bolts because it moves the tb and cable the same. you have to use shorter studs or bolts to get the tb tight also. i am planning on keeping the egr valve, evr and evp all hooked up inside the car so as not to set a code.

by the way the smog pump doesn't have anything to do with the egr system. they are two independent systems both serving to help with emissions compliance. the smog pump actually pumps air through the heads on the exhaust side or directly into the exhaust system where as the egr uses exhaust gases and diverts them directly into the intake tract. you DO NOT have to remove the smog pump if you take the egr valve off. if you are going to keep cats on the exhaust i would suggest keeping the smog stuff on the car as it helps to keep the cats cool and happy along with helping with emissions. you can still remove the egr stuff if you want or vice versa.

hth to clear things up some.

erich

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the info. I know the smog and egr are independent, I just said I was thinking of doing them at the same time. I have an off road H, so I'm getting rid of my smog for sure (and ac also). I have been reading about getting rid of the egr quite a bit, and I decided to keep it since it's just a street car, but it's useful knowledge for the future. Thanks again!

·
Registered
155 Posts
What's it going to do for ya?

What's the difference with an EGR to none, more power ? better running ? i don't get what the benefits are.

Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
deleted mine completely due to room constraints in the engine bay,made a custom throttle bracket and keep the egr sensor plugged in,seems to work ok.......

·
Registered
249 Posts
v8power5

the reason i am removing mine is because i am going to use the car for drag racing only. i am going to block off the egr passages at the heads so as to not let any HOT exhaust gas up into the intake. this way it helps to keep the intake cooler. it also helps to clean up the engine compartment some. i would suggest if you are going to use the vehicle for much street duty at all to leave the egr hooked up. you can run into some really bad driveability problems if it isn't functioning properly while driving on the street. it doesn't cause any of these problems on the drag strip because the egr only functions under cruise and some part throttle situations which don't happen when making a pass.

hth
erich

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also blocked mine at the heads as I made a set of gaskets slightly thinner to match the ports better,
HOnestly ,if I could of physically fit mine in the car with spacer fitted I would have left it on,
from what I have read on here its got no negative impact except heating up the intake,

which by the way is still as hot as the bottom end anyways.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts