Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to build 351 stroker as a mostly strip / limited street motor, how much more would it cost (ballpark figure) to do it EFI vs. going with a Carb.? Obviously I could get a really nice Demon carb for around 500 bucks and a well-ported intake for under 1000. What else would I need?

·
Registered
63 Posts
on my 351w/428 cu.in. i ran a race demon. it was the $1000 one.and it worked well for me plus a carb looks better than efi.

what does the 97 run?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See sig above for ET and MPH...this was at slippery track when the temp. was around 38 degrees. Best 60-ft I pulled all night was a 2.38...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'd be pretty confident saying that if you were to run a carb setup vs an EFI that performed the same, you'd be spending a lot more on EFI. The carb intake shouldn't be anywhere near $1000, the carb will probably end up costing more.

If your carb costs $500 and your intake costs $350, thats only $850 total. EFI intakes are at least $500 for both pieces, then add about $200 for injectors, $150ish for the throttle body, more for the mass air meter, and so on...

I think a lot of people running EFI strokers use spyder intakes anyway (carb intakes converted for EFI)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
paul351w:

Ahhh...ok. I was looking at the Mighty Demon 850cfm carb new for 499 and thinking it was basically an upgraded holley 4150. I was also thinking that the Race Demon was the upgraded Dominator. I see now that I had it all wrong.

Would I be able to drive the car on the street with the Race Demon? Or is it too much of an all-out-race piece to do that?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I went carbed on my windsor build up. EFI wasn't ever really a consideration.

I'm lead to belive the Dominator style carbs have very poor street manners and are normally reserved for all out strip set-up. Some do drive them though.

On mine I pretty much have the biggest Holley double pumper you can get, a 1000cfm HP series, and I do drive mine on the street. It idles well and drives great now. Fuel economy has something to be desired though but it was expected. It's overkill on mine but will be a nice foundation for the futrue growth...and it will get faster.

I could have got a Demon cheaper but reading about some hassles others have had tuning them I decided to stick with the Holley. It was just over $600 at the time I bought mine.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TC89LX said:
I could have got a Demon cheaper but reading about some hassles others have had tuning them I decided to stick with the Holley. It was just over $600 at the time I bought mine.
Really? I was under the impression that the Demons were pretty much the best thing going...

·
Registered
245 Posts
I know a couple of people who are having problems with the demons on the street. They are having problems with idling and such. Anyone else??

·
Registered
221 Posts
you are going to find people that like the holleys and people that like the bg demon carbs. If you are interested I have a 825cfm mighty demon that is new and in the box. I only had it on my car for 5 minutes to find out that my problem was ignition related not carb related. I paid $500 but I will let it go for $400. good luck

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
OnceBitten said:
Really? I was under the impression that the Demons were pretty much the best thing going...
They're a pretty carb for sure but I've read numerous posts, from various sources, where they are set-up at near dangerous lean conditions out of the box, hesistation and stumbling issues at part throttle and a few other minor things. Nothing that can't be fixed but it wasn't something I wanted to play with as a beginner with carbs.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know this thread got off the EFI vs Carb topic but I just thought I'd toss in my .02 cents.

I like both for different reasons. I'm just now getting into really understanding the how and what of EFI, but I've determined that for my needs an EFI system is benneficial.

I've found out that with a carbed vehicle you have a more tipsy(sp) scale in regards to fuel economy and performance. I'm not saying that you can't get both from it, it's just more difficult to get both at the same time. I like the carb setup for

#1 price, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to purchase and upgrade a carbed engine.

#2 ease of tuning, you don't need a bunch of electronics gadges or a tweecer kit to make the car run it's best.

#3 it looks cleaner, IMHO, unless you hide all the wires on an EFI system it looks messy.

Now, I also like EFI for quite a few different reasons,

#1 It seems quite a bit easier to gain both fuel economy and performance from an EFI car, you have better management of fuel.

#2 If something in the engine isn't running quite right all the sensors and crap that clutter the engine bay with wires can give you some really good info.

#3 It's electronial (duh) and being a computer science and electronical engineer major I'm always going to have a very special place in my heart for electronics.

I know someone is probably going to say I'm wrong in some area, if I am (I don't doubt it), don't come across like an @ss, I take critism very well...

Ok, that's probably a little more then .02 cents, your total comes to a buck 45, will you be paying cash, check, or credit?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts