Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting my 87 speed density Mustang to a carb setup which I have done before. However this is the first swap I will do where I would like to keep the A/C.

Is there any way to do this conversion and keep the A/C system?

If anyone has done this or knows how to do this please chime in.........

Thank you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Converting to a carb, shouldn't have any effect on your ac setup. I did it on my Son's truck, and didn't have to touch the ac system.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
at the passenger side firewall the computer harness plugs into the a/c canister, also at the a/c compressor I bleieve?

Yea I had a KB setup, then built a turbo carb setup and had to sell the car, which was no good.
I just picked up another 5.0 a few weeks ago..........

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
Separate the A/C wiring from the computer wiring. You also need to find the ignition wire in there anyways.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could anyone go into a little more depth on how to wire this. I have the computer harness all taken now. it plugs into the A/C system on the compressor and on the accumulator and that is it. Do they need to be rewired? Where do I wire them to?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Did mine on aa Grand Marquis so its a bit different. Have to look at the wiring color codes. There is a wire running to the ECM but it is only there to tell the ECM its on so it can control idle speed and shut off the AC when you floor it.
The real power portion of the wire runs to the AC plug at the clutch and comes from the prerssure switch on the evap canister. I will look in my book as soon as I have time. The color code changes after the wire from the pressure switch connects to the switch in the dash and back to the clutch. Sorry if this isnt too clear.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Do you have a black wire and a black/yellow wire at the A/C compressor clutch? Should be Ford keeps the same color coded wires most of the time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still have had no luck getting the a/c to work. Does anyone have any ideas how to wire the a/c when converting to carb??

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Black wire is a ground it can be grounded most anywhere. There should be a connector that has a black wire in it and a black and and yellow wire ..possibly a few others. you should just have to plug the wires from the A/C clutch into it or splice them into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts