Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a 93 4.0 Ford Explorer, I know it's not a Mustang but should be same principle to the thing. It won't idle on it's own without holding down the gas and it filled the cylinders up with gas to the point we had to pull the plugs to let it out to even get the thing to spin over. When it's running it's pushing raw gas out the tailpipe? Any ideas?
thanks
Mark

P.S. there are no KOEO codes and it won't run long enough to get KOER codes.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Regulator diaphragm is more then likely ruptureed. Pull the vauum line off and turn the key on. I bet it will shoot fuel out. If not, could be something weird like an injector that is being held on (Control wire shorted to ground), but really doubtful. I've seen the regulator on many a Ford. Will shoot up and hit the hood--LOL! GOod luck.

VIPERBLUELX said:
A friend has a 93 4.0 Ford Explorer, I know it's not a Mustang but should be same principle to the thing. It won't idle on it's own without holding down the gas and it filled the cylinders up with gas to the point we had to pull the plugs to let it out to even get the thing to spin over. When it's running it's pushing raw gas out the tailpipe? Any ideas?
thanks
Mark

P.S. there are no KOEO codes and it won't run long enough to get KOER codes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ditto on the fuel press regulator. Friend of mine had a 351 in a pickup, parked with the nose facing down a somewhat steep driveway. Fuel was pouring out the intake. I pulled the vac line to the regulator and he hit the key.......fuel everywhere. I'm sure if the truck was on level ground the cylinders would have been getting all the fuel just like yours.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Yep, I also say fuel press regulator.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Check one thing first....check fuel pressure, you should be around 40 psi (if memory serves). If to high (@50-60 psi) should be regulator. Another thing it could be is the computer (injector drivers), I think your system runs 2 drivers one for cyl 1,3,5 and the other for 2,4,6.
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts