Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting sick and tired of this damn thing scraping. I've decided to take it off altogether, as long as its not gonna hurt my straight line performance. I'm not concerned with cornering right now, and I'm not gonna be taking turns at 90 MPH. So, I was just checking to see if any of you have done this, or if you know if it will help/hurt straight line performance??? Thanks! BTW... here's why I'm sick of the damn thing!!! :D

See!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
That can NOT be you stock rear swaybar? If it is,it's the wrong part, or it's very poorly installed. I ended up removing my rear swaybar after it snapped in two. It feels like the back end of the car tries to carry the entire car, to flip it over at every turn without a rear swaybar installed. I didn't realize how much they did, until mine broke and I drove without one for several weeks. I don't know about straight line performance, but I would suspect it would hurt hard launching the car as one rear wheel will lift off the line reducing traction. The added benefit of some 20 lbs lighter won't make that up.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The sway bar should tuck up behind the rear axle housing. It should hang "low" but not as low as your sway bar is hanging. I would get the part # off that sway bar and see if it is the correct Part # for your year/model mustang.

FWIW, the car will handle fine in town and even at speed. I have been driving my 96 cobra without a swaybar since I bought it. I slapped on the swaybar off of my buddy's 90 LX 5.0 for an autoX event and it made the rear end VERY squirrely(sp?). It would cause the rear end to fish-tail very easily. The car actually feels somewhat balanced without the rear swaybar. However, I think my 60ft times are slightly worse due to the lack of the rear sway bar. All depends on what you are trying to do with your car.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Dude that swaybar is messed up...definately not supposed to be that low.

Mines been off for over a year since it broke, and i haven't bothered to replace it yet. Only thing I've noticed is a little more body roll over the rear tires, and the car twists all weird when I jack up one side or the other.

I'd go see why that thing is hanging down so low before you go take it off...maybe it broke and you didnt know it.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,
YES, this IS the STOCK swaybar, and NO, it is NOT broken. :D

Like I said, I have the Kenny Brown TracKit axle brackets, and the Kenny Brown lower control arms. These brackets relocated the mounting point of the control arms to the axle. That is only PART of the reason why the swar bar hangs so low. The other reason, is the mounting point of the swaybar to the lower control arms. The mounting point is on the underneat side of the control arms, and with the TracKit brackets helping to add to lowering the rear suspesion, this is why the bar hangs so low. I'm suprised it hasn't broken yet, as I have bottomed it out WAY too many times to remember.

Anyways, when I go to remove it, I'll check to see if it is possible to turn the bar upside down, so that it won't scrape near as much. If it won't, then I'll go swaybar-less for a while, until I'm able to afford paying $3xx for a Maximum Motorsports drag rear swaybar, as long as it'll work with my Kenny Brown lowers.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
You can try turning it upside down, but if it is anything like my 2 mustangs, then it will only go on one way. The other way has the sway bar touching the ground.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I have not had the rear bar on my 96 cobra for about four months now and have done a couple autocrosses and been to the drag strip several times. One of these days, I will put the new one I have back on, but it really isn't that bad without it. I seem to have a little more "hop" from the rear at the track, but my 60fts are basically the same with or without (on the same 275/40/17 street tires) On the road it is noticeable at first, but once you get used to it predictable. In a really tight autocross, it seems like it might even be better without the bar. The rear rolls more, but seems less prone to snapping around and causing a spin. I say take it off and try it.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
blue88mustang said:
You can try turning it upside down, but if it is anything like my 2 mustangs, then it will only go on one way. The other way has the sway bar touching the ground.
Well, look at the bar now. I mean, its probably 3 inches off the ground, max. If I turn it the other way, all of the dips in it will be pointing up towards the underneat side of the car. I just don't know if it will mount that way or not. Hopefully it will, but I'm gonna wait for a warmer day before I try anything. :D

tnturbo... Sounds good man. I had it off once before, but not for very long. Didn't really notice much of a difference then, but I didn't drive it real hard either. Guess I'll just wait and see. :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
yes you will kill straight line performance. Expect to lose a tenth in the sixty foot, worse if you are running sticky tires. The rear sway bar is what ties the lower control arms and allows one to counter act the other in rotational twist, I would contact Kenny Brown and ask if they make one that tucks up into the body better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have the same setup...kenny brown trackit plus and LCAs. Mine does not sit that low. Which springs are you running? Ill go look at mine later but i cant believe that mine hangs that low. Are you running the panhard bar or just the relocation brackets?

·
Registered
84 Posts
ok, i checked my rear bar. from the rear, the only part that is visible is the 2 down ward turns on each side right as it comes off of the LCA. the rest of the bar is tucked up behind the differential housing. I have never hit it on anything. now, more poor cats...thats another story.

IMO, your LCA's are wrong. that is the only way i can explain the difference. I would call kenny brown and have those changed out. you do have the sway bar attached to all 4 holes (2 each side) right?

·
Registered
684 Posts
2 options:

Get yourself some real control arms back there. Forget the Kenny Brown Trackit, blah, blah, and get something from UPR, HPM, Metco, etc. Then you can have a great control arm that will allow proper placement of your sway bar.

Second option if you must keep your Kenny Brown stuff is to put on some dumps, Ditch the stock rear swaybar, and get an Anti-Roll bar from either UPR, TRZ, or Wolfe.

Later, Jason

Whatever you do, that mess aint right back there and you need to fix it.:D

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drew00GTsc... I am running stock V6 springs in the rear. I have no panhard bar, just the relocation brackets. As far as the LCA's, they are the fixed ones, not adjustables, I don't know if that makes any difference. And yes, they are held on in all 4 holes. Like I said, maybe I can flip it around the other way??? BTW... the part # on my part list was for the '99+ car. Surely I couldn't convince them to replace the stuff with new, seeing how they didn't install it. :confused:

Jason... I know that the Kenny Brown stuff may not be the BEST in the world, but I really don't see how the quality of their LCA's could be that much worse than any other brand, as they are all closely the same. BTW... I've cut a 1.82 60' on this rear setup, on only 4 tries with drag radials, ever. You still think its that bad??? 60' foots don't say so to me. :confused:

/me hates my sway bar now

·
Registered
684 Posts
I was just being sarcastic about the control arms. I am sure their function is just fine but the fact that your sway bar is hanging so low leads me to believe that they fugged up the location of the bracket holes on them, thus funky looking sway bar.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I left my swaybar off when I installed my shocks/springs/LCA's.
Couldn't tell a lot of difference, other than the car launches like a bat out of hell now! (not sure if the removal of the swaybar has anything to do with that).

My friend has dragged 5.0's a long time and he always removed his rear swaybar.

Now how about removing my front swaybar when I install my struts/springs??
What's that gonna do for me?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jmeiers said:
I was just being sarcastic about the control arms. I am sure their function is just fine but the fact that your sway bar is hanging so low leads me to believe that they fugged up the location of the bracket holes on them, thus funky looking sway bar.
Jason, thats cool man. I realized the sarcasm, but didn't know if you really hated Kenny Brown that bad or not!!! :D Anyways, I have just sent them an email, with the pic in this thread, asking for help, or if they can accomodate me in any way. I'm hoping I get some help, one way or another, although I look for them to do nothing about it, as they didn't install the parts. Anyways, yeah, you figure they would have gave them a different mounting point, but hell, who knows. Its just something I've gotta put up with for now. :(

Black1998GT... Removing the FRONT sway bar will allow for better weight transfer to the rear wheels, from the front of the car.

·
Registered
550 Posts
96_Stang_99 said:

Black1998GT... Removing the FRONT sway bar will allow for better weight transfer to the rear wheels, from the front of the car.
Okay so I should jerk that bugger off whenever I install my front suspension?? Any downsides to not having the front swaybar?
And the added benefits to removing it are obviously saving weight, and better weight transfer, correct?

·
Registered
221 Posts
My swaybar broke a week ago, I took it off for now while my Steeda one comes in. Now when I take off from a complete stop the whole car will twist ,which cant be good for your car, and one tire gets plenty of traction and the other starts to spin a little bit.

And it killed my track times by about 1-2 tenths in the eigth mile, I cant wait to get mine back on.

As for it hanging so low I would try to flip it upside down if it fits that way. It should work the same.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Black1998GT said:

Okay so I should jerk that bugger off whenever I install my front suspension?? Any downsides to not having the front swaybar?
And the added benefits to removing it are obviously saving weight, and better weight transfer, correct?
downsides=not being able to take turns fast, you will want to take this off at the track.

you are correct about the benifits.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.