Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Edelbrock 6037 heads and matching Performer Intake on my 93 LX. I swapped the intake vacuum hardware and lines from the previous GT-40 intake. After installing the heads and intakes there is a whistle (vacuum leak??) that appears to be inside the center of the upper intake manifold section. I removed the upper intake and replace the injector o-rings and made sure nothing was sticking out into the main air passage to cause any whistle. All the vacuum lines were replaced with new hoses, pcv valve, oil-separator and the reccommended gaskets. I have put about 400 miles on this combo and the leak appears to be getting worse as the cruise-control is now starting to lag on up grades. I have taken off the upper-intake section three times to try and find the leak but have had no success. Spraying carb cleaner and/or brake cleaner does not seem to help find the problem because the idle does not change. Anybody had similar problems installing the Edelbrock (or any other aftermarket al. heads/intakes for that matter) heads and intakes???? I am running a Lunati 51014 cam, 70mm TB, K&N filter, built auto, 373's.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi, this may sound funny, but my freind Jeff had the same problem. After he switched intakes, he had a vacuum cap on the port coming off the stand tube on the stock valve covers. It was whistling, and took forever to find. He put a hose clamp on the cap, and that took care of the problem. Maybe you'll get lucky and this will help you.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Are you running a bbk/edelbrock TB? If so, that may be the cause. I have read a few posts on here and other sites saying that those tb's wistle for some reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I am running the BBK/Edelbrock 70mm TB & EGR Plate. The vacuum signal went up, quite noticeably, and I had to reduce the opening for the PCV valve due to sucking oil into the top intake plenum chamber. I am using the stock vacuum pipe assembly and cut the end off because it was sticking way into the main intake air channel and looked like a whistle. This did not help and it appears to whistle louder as the engine heats up to operating temperature. I am going to try using the stethoscope and see if I can pinpoint closer where the whistle is coming from as it really seems to be in the center of the upper intake; so the TB could possibly be the culprit. I wonder if Edelbrock/BBK has any information on whistling TB's?? Thank you for your reply and I will keep working on the problem and post updates.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The BBK/edelbrock TB's are known for this whistle. Sounds
like this is your problem. It's worse if you have a CAI.
I run a stock airbox with the silencer removed and a
K&N and it's not as loud as when I had a CAI.

Also - the oil in a performer intake is quite normal -
they all do it from what i've read (mine does too).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts