Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 coop is supposedly has a stroker kit in it I had a machine shop verify it was a 347 it has a dead spot where it chugs and almost bucks like a horse between 3400 and 4100 RPM, come 4200 it instantly clears up and seems very healthy, also my oil and entire car stinks of gasoline, vacuum lines all boogered up, I can’t find a way to properly put system back together, thoughts? Directions?? Thank you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Need way more info on other mods to the vehicle. If a 347 stroker, I would expect many other mods. Is there a tune on it? Injector size? MAF size? Throttle body size? Intake you are using? Exhaust mods?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need way more info on other mods to the vehicle. If a 347 stroker, I would expect many other mods. Is there a tune on it? Injector size? MAF size? Throttle body size? Intake you are using? Exhaust mods?
1968 5.0 block
Trick flow intake
24 lb. injectors
Throttle body- How can I tell? It’s a BBK??
MAF- what is that?? How can I tell size?
Looks like 2 mufflers, cats gone, has O2 sensors
Thank you!!

·
Registered
23,907 Posts
what ECM are you using?

·
Registered
100 Posts
MAF - Mass Air Flow sensor, located in the inlet tube between the air filter and throttle body. All Foxbody's '89-93 had Mass Air based fuel management. Some do convert back to Speed Density type with some aftermarket ECM's. It should be near the passenger side shock tower with 4 or 5 wires going into it in a flat configuration. Mass air calibration needs to match your injectors or it will not run right.

Throttle body - measure the diameter of the tube part where the throttle blade is, or if it is off the car, measure the discharge side. The inlet of the throttle body will be tapered slightly so if you measure the inlet end your measurement will be larger than actual. BBK TB should have the dimension etched on one of the flat main surfaces (usually the top).

Since you have 24 lbs injectors, you should have some kind of calibration or tune in it. Either a MAF calibrated for 24lbs injectors or a chip/tune in the ECU to accommodate them. Given the choice of intake and that it is a stroker, I would also suspect you have an aftermarket cam as well.

If the car is still factory style distributor, I would check the TFI module mounted on it. They can go bad and give a dead spot in ignition when hot or gone bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
then how will it work without a stock engine?
I see now, I apologize- I’ll get the size of the MAF and pics of the ECM. I’ll take pics of the ECU and, how do I check the TFI? Replace it? ... I’m on the same page with you now. It’s not a stroker, I just worked on a 347 I have. Confused. Dang it man. I’m with ya now though.

·
Registered
23,907 Posts
not sure what size of maf info will do?

·
Registered
100 Posts
not sure what size of maf info will do?
So Indy... are you really stupid or just being ignorant?

I assume Indy, at this moment you have no idea what MAF (if any) is on the OP's car.

Without having a pic, measurement or detailed description we all here (who are trying to be helpful) have no clue whether it could be affecting the problem.

So, finding out what MAF the OP is running can tell us if he has a calibrated MAF for 24lb injectors or not. If he does, I would bet the computer is still stock and untouched. Then maybe a tune can help him. If it is still the OEM MAF, maybe there is tune, maybe not. But now we can start to point him in a direction. Maybe he has a speed density system set up with OEM computer or aftermarket system. The OP getting pics and info on those things help us all.

So Indy... I ask again, are you being ignorant or just plain stupid?

·
Registered
23,907 Posts
No I don’t , I’m going to go outside and get those pictures now I worked late last night.

if the maf is not stock, it will be useless info, unless you have the model and serial number with the exact 'calibration'

·
Registered
23,907 Posts

All you need to know, is that I am plain stupid.........so run along.......or just read, and pay attention, and maybe learn...its solely up to you.

Reactions: thadude

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So Indy... are you really stupid or just being ignorant?

I assume Indy, at this moment you have no idea what MAF (if any) is on the OP's car.

Without having a pic, measurement or detailed description we all here (who are trying to be helpful) have no clue whether it could be affecting the problem.

So, finding out what MAF the OP is running can tell us if he has a calibrated MAF for 24lb injectors or not. If he does, I would bet the computer is still stock and untouched. Then maybe a tune can help him. If it is still the OEM MAF, maybe there is tune, maybe not. But now we can start to point him in a direction. Maybe he has a speed density system set up with OEM computer or aftermarket system. The OP getting pics and info on those things help us all.

E00CB004-1D17-4147-B111-B1B453256EF8.jpeg

·
Registered
23,907 Posts
the MAF is the MOST, MOST important sensor

do you think guessing or internet opinions of what the maf is, is prudent?

it doesn't really matter, its a trickery maf, should not be used, END OF story

buy a stock one, as well as the stock cold air intake

then enjoy

if you need a bigger maf, then you need a TUNER or TUNING DEVICE.

make sense?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
the MAF is the MOST, MOST important sensor

do you think guessing or internet opinions of what the maf is, is prudent?

it doesn't really matter, its a trickery maf, should not be used, END OF story

buy a stock one, as well as the stock cold air intake

then enjoy

if you need a bigger maf, then you need a TUNER or TUNING DEVICE.

make sense?
Pro m is a trickery maf? LoL. Op needs to determine what size injectors he has.

Your telling him to put a stock maf back in which is calibrated for 19lb injectors. If he's not running stock injectors that won't work!

Again, solid advice!

The pro m maf when calibrated for the correct injectors work just fine. This is nothing new. Some of us have been doing this for 20+ years.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,907 Posts
Hey Tips

just a little tidbit, that the rest of the population seems to grasp

FORD DOES NOT CALIBRATE MAFS TO INJECTORS.

the stock maf is NOT calibrated to 19lb injectors........

Now, sit back and digest that, before spouting gibberish

I know, you can figure it out, given enough time

1 - 20 of 24 Posts