Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some strange clunk loose sound when driving home from work and upon arriving at home i peeked underneath my 89 5.0 to see the bushing missing from the left side of the front stabilizer bar!

At least, I'm assuming this piece is called a bushing. The half circle type of cushion device that surrounds the front stabilizer at the left and right sides of the car.

Is this easy to replace? I have done some mild engine work but have never touched chassis/suspension stuff.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yup, its realtively easy. Just loosen the swaybar links and have at it. I replaced mine with polyurethane bushings.

Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sway bar diameter?

So i've been calling around and have heard a number of different sway bar diameters.....as for which one's mine who knows!

I've gone under and measured the circumference and derived the diameter to be around 1.37 or 1.38 inches.....

These are the following diameters i've heard from various auot parts stores....

7/8
1-1/8
1-3/16
1-1/4
1-1/3
1.3 (not necessarily the same as 1-1/3)
1-5/16

My closest match would be the 1-5/16ths

I'm wondering if anyone has insight into what the stock front sway bar diameter is for an '89 5.0 GT.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Swaybar is exactly 1.3"- same for all 87-93 including Cobra. I just replaced mine with Energy Suspension poly bushings from Autozone, less than $15. While you're at it you can get the end-link bushings for another $12, or do like I did and get the entire new heavier endlinks with bushings for $18. Much better than those old mushy rubber ones...:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
What are the part numbers on all the bushings you described?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts