Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finishing up a flex fuel sensor install for Holley HP.

My question is, does E85 require the same Air Fuel Ratio to make the same power as gasoline?

For example, if my ideal gasoline air fuel is say 11.5 under high boost, do you generally shoot for the same AF or does Ethanol need to be richer or leaner?
And yes, I'm just using gas scale for refrence. If you prefer Lambda, then let's say .75 is ideal on race fuel, is .75 ideal for E85 as well?
Sorry I just do not know ethanols characteristics . We run a richer AF with gas sometimes to "cool" the flame down, but not sure if e85 is tuned the same way being that Alcohol already has a cooling effect.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Last post here might help:

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last post here might help:

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Cool thanks.

Acording to that site, I guess everyone is just running gas AFRs

·
Registered
142 Posts
Holley has wideband O2 sensors that are made to work with E85. With said sensor you can tune the target AFR in the Holley to the proper E85 AFRs. Jump over to the Holley support site and research.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holley has wideband O2 sensors that are made to work with E85. With said sensor you can tune the target AFR in the Holley to the proper E85 AFRs. Jump over to the Holley support site and research.
Thank, ive been all over there. Not concerned with scaling to Lambda, im more at home with gas scale for now.

Was just looking for input from those that switched to ethanol, and if their tunes required much of a AFR change for power and idle. Lots of mixed opinions out there. Some "guru's" out there saying idle is best in the 12.5:1 AFR range and others saying Stoich 14.7:1 works better. (gas scale) IDK, ill have to see what works for my setup.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
All 02s will work with e85. The sensor does not know what fuel is being run.
I have been running e85 for the past 9-10ish years. My 02 displays gas a/f. I just do the conversion in my head. All combos are different in what a/f they will like. I personally ran my idle at 14:1, cruise at 14.7 and depending on boost I ran it down to 11:1 or even high 10s at 15psi. Never had any issues. Check plugs for timing. Just be careful with timing. You can run more timing than the engine needs and still not get detonation. E85 is very forgiving. My engine liked 18* timing at 15psi. I could run it up to 25 with no gain in power. The dyno will show you what it likes.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
All 02s will work with e85. The sensor does not know what fuel is being run.
I have been running e85 for the past 9-10ish years. My 02 displays gas a/f. I just do the conversion in my head. All combos are different in what a/f they will like. I personally ran my idle at 14:1, cruise at 14.7 and depending on boost I ran it down to 11:1 or even high 10s at 15psi. Never had any issues. Check plugs for timing. Just be careful with timing. You can run more timing than the engine needs and still not get detonation. E85 is very forgiving. My engine liked 18* timing at 15psi. I could run it up to 25 with no gain in power. The dyno will show you what it likes.
Good info bother! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just be careful with timing. You can run more timing than the engine needs and still not get detonation. E85 is very forgiving. My engine liked 18* timing at 15psi. I could run it up to 25 with no gain in power. The dyno will show you what it likes.
Really good advice! No need to put added pressure on the engine for little to no gain. I'll just treat it like C16 lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts