Ford Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Old timer
6,728 Posts
Sorry if I completely miss the mark with this question, and I'm wasting your time. But, would a cam from an 8th gen f150 work or should I try to find a 5.0 Explorer. I live in the Rust Belt, so Fox Mustangs and MK VIIs are pretty rare here let alone any good condition ones. Trucks and SUV's are pretty much going to be my main sources for parts.
First, stop listening to the usual troll farm dwellers who comment on half read posts. :LOL:

Look, the flat tappet camshaft requires new lifters, right? So, $185-$200 for that antique baseball bat, about $100-$125 for a good set of lifters, then roughly $75-$100 for hardened push rods. Maybe even some valve springs to boot but that's moot since you should replace them with any new camshaft.

Now, just ask around and I bet there's a bunch of people on here with left over parts. Stock E7 heads, a good used HO camshaft and some stock lifters. Maybe even some straight unmolested push rods that they'll throw in. What could that possibly cost you? Maybe $100 total? People throw that stuff away!

Buy a quality timing set, install the stock HO roller cam in at about a 111° ICL and enjoy the free power a roller provides over a flat tappet anything. Low cost too!

Maybe you might be able to grab one of those magical FMS "B" cams for a song and a dance and add some "noise" to the engine. :LOL:

As for an intake, I've seen used older Edelbrock Performer manifolds for under $100 on Farsebook and other such stupid places. Not the greatest intake but much better than the Ford piece.

Again... THINK and RESEARCH what's out there instead of being fixated on using obsolete parts.

Come on in, the water is just fine!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
First, stop listening to the usual troll farm dwellers who comment on half read posts. :LOL:

Look, the flat tappet camshaft requires new lifters, right? So, $185-$200 for that antique baseball bat, about $100-$125 for a good set of lifters, then roughly $75-$100 for hardened push rods. Maybe even some valve springs to boot but that's moot since you should replace them with any new camshaft....

My only problem is that my local market is kind of ****. No one seems to sell much beyond maybe a B-F cam. And, those who do charge as much as it would cost for one of those. I completely see what you mean with the Flat Tappets, the cost vs returns wouldn't be worth it. What vehicles all would have the HO cam?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

Look, the flat tappet camshaft requires new lifters, right? So, $185-$200 for that antique baseball bat, about $100-$125 for a good set of lifters, then roughly $75-$100 for hardened push rods. Maybe even some valve springs to boot but that's moot since you should replace them with any new camshaft.

Now, just ask around and I bet there's a bunch of people on here with left over parts. Stock E7 heads, a good used HO camshaft and some stock lifters. Maybe even some straight unmolested push rods that they'll throw in. What could that possibly cost you? Maybe $100 total? People throw that stuff away!

Buy a quality timing set, install the stock HO roller cam in at about a 111° ICL and enjoy the free power a roller provides over a flat tappet anything. Low cost too!

Maybe you might be able to grab one of those magical FMS "B" cams for a song and a dance and add some "noise" to the engine. :LOL:

As for an intake, I've seen used older Edelbrock Performer manifolds for under $100 on Farsebook and other such stupid places. Not the greatest intake but much better than the Ford piece.

Again... THINK and RESEARCH what's out there instead of being fixated on using obsolete parts.

i can confirm his price on used edelbrock performer intake.. have one and willing to help you out... but be careful whos koolaid you drink.. when ed speaks listen.. because it's like giving you money! when i speak.. take it with a grain of salt.. i'm a moron..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sorry if I was stepping on any toes. I just don't have much room for error. I'm giving myself a working budget of $1,500. But that is for a Rear Brakes, Carb, Heads/ new valvetrain, Fuel Cell/Fuel Supporting Accessories, Headers, and Distributer/Spark Plug Wires. It is a tight squeeze, and unfortunately that means I'm probably not allowed to mess up buying anything.

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
Go on Farce Book and join the local group St Louis Mustangs and look in the "buy & sell". If you don't find something, put up a list for ISO (in search of) with your wish list. It has 2,400 members and I bet a lot of them have something you are looking for. I live in the STL metro area.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yeah cuz used "STOCK" 5.0 parts are so expensive... :ROFLMAO::LOL:
You were recommending used E7’s!? I thought you were being facetious based on your usual. Back in the day you’d bash people for buying off the shelf TFS stuff, so I assumed you weren’t serious about the used HO stuff. @VoodooWarlord @Ed Curtis is a business owner so he uses the forums for free solicitation so no worries. “If it’s not his product it’s crap.”

·
Old timer
6,728 Posts
You were recommending used E7’s!? I thought you were being facetious based on your usual. Back in the day you’d bash people for buying off the shelf TFS stuff, so I assumed you weren’t serious about the used HO stuff. @VoodooWarlord @Ed Curtis is a business owner so he uses the forums for free solicitation so no worries. “If it’s not his product it’s crap.”
As I mentioned VooDoo...

Ignore the troll farm dwellers.... 😂

Here is the chief clown of the farm with the usual stupidity... 🤡

His BFF should be here any second. 🏳️‍🌈

Reactions: 65fasback

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
As I mentioned VooDoo...

Ignore the troll farm dwellers.... 😂

Here is the chief clown of the farm with the usual stupidity... 🤡

His BFF should be here any second. 🏳️‍🌈

Come one Ed you’re the king troll. Sitting around waiting to sell something that’s what you’re here for. They should charge your azz rent. I thought Rhode Island was more tolerable of the gays?

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
499 Posts

Dizzy gear as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mods:

98' Explorer Motor, 170k miles on it. Heads have never been pulled.
Stock Mustang cam, installed straight up. 1.7 Crane RR's
Explorer lower intake, ported by me. GT40 Tubular upper w/70mm Accufab
Stock air box w/K&N
FRPP Shorties, O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster Catback
Underdrive pullies w/electric fan
30lb injectors and 190lph Fuel pump
Total timing is 28.5 degrees at WOT.

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 Ford Mustang GT with a 1989 GT 5.0
59 Posts
P head flow the most followed by regular gt40 then e7 heads. P heads can be a pain to get headers. Regular headers can work but they are a pain to change plugs and you may have issues burning up plug wires. 3bar gt40 heads have none if those problems but they are getting hard to find. I would try to find gt40 just because i don't want to deal with the problems of P heads.
i have a set of long tubes would they be a issue with the gt40p heads?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
i have a set of long tubes would they be a issue with the gt40p heads?
Most likely, yes. The plug angle typically causes then to be pointed directly at the header tubes but you wouldn't know for sure without testing.

·
Registered
1988 Ford Mustang GT with a 1989 GT 5.0
59 Posts
Most likely, yes. The plug angle typically causes then to be pointed directly at the header tubes but you wouldn't know for sure without testing.
would there be any reason to use the p heads over the normal gt40s the only diffrence is plugs and compression right.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have a 94 Mustang GT and 95 Cobra cam sitting on my shelf, I’d be willing to send one your way if you cover shipping.
see there ya go.. more parts on the CHEAP... i know i have an intake... also i have one of the msd dizzys thats 'ready to run without box' or have a duraspark setup i'm pretty sure.. so for less than 4 to 500 bucks you can achieve your goals with parts ppl have laying around.

·
Old timer
6,728 Posts
Come one Ed you’re the king troll. Sitting around waiting to sell something that’s what you’re here for. They should charge your azz rent. I thought Rhode Island was more tolerable of the gays?
Proving once again you have zero influence on anything in the real world. :LOL:

Your envy takes priority over reality.

Now go back to your basement troll.

• Haha
Reactions: VoodooWarlord

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i almost forgot Ed was from RI... nice place... visited at 17y/o... had a full ride to Brown and turned it down because it was so far away from home and i was scared chitless...

between football and academic scholarships i would have made money going there.. but alas i made the wrong decision because i was a small town guy that had never traveled... kick myself everyday... i did get to play football and had a great college experience.. but i always wonder how a Brown diploma would have changed things...

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.