Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am going to be putting in a E303 cam, w/ TW heads and a Performer and or RPM intake. The car is naturally aspirated.

The car does have a 3.73 gear; however, I am still deciding whether to keep the AOD auto transmission or swap in a 5 spd.

Until I do address the transmission, will the car drive okay with the stock convertor, E303, heads, intake, etc., under normal driving conditions or will it be so slow that driving it on the streets may be considered difficult?

I appreciate your time...

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Its going to really suck... It may even hurt your performance from the research Ive done... Personally Im building my car backwards... Im swapping in a new 8.8 with gear , etc and my whole suspension is done... Next I will be building my AOD... Id call someone like www.converter.com or www.edgeracingconverters.com and have them build me a custom converter if I was you.... The car is going to be a dog with the "E" cam as it wont get into the powerband right away with the stock converter... Also , if your AOD doesnt already have one , you should invest in a www.baumannengineering.com or www.lentechautomatics.com shift kit or complete valvebody. :)

PS.... Dont forget your nice size trans cooler ,or that AOD will be toast in no time...

Ooops , didnt see that you may swap to a 5 spd , but personally Id either build the AOD or swap to a C4 , depending on how much you drive the car...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I figure I might as well throw in my 2 cents. Driveability is always a personal opinion but as you can see in my sig. I have 4.10 gears and a factory T5 in mine but driving around town trying not to suck too much gas I routinely start out in 2nd gear. I usually only use first to get out in traffic and if I am doing a little racing. I don't have any experience with one w/AOD but I would think it would be fine for daily driving although I would think that red89notch is right about it maybe hurting all out performance.

·
Registered
300 Posts
So...I got wondering and had to go look it up. The PAW Catalog that I have says that the E303 cam Makes it's peak torque at 2,500 rpm and that it is emission legal w/5 spd and "works good with auto transmission". Hope that helps.

Aaron

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses.

I agree w/ the suspension/trans build first but I have already inherited/acquired many of the engine components, so...

It will not be raced or romped on hard even after the engine is dyno tuned and trans is replaced/modified. Looking for longevity out of this build.

What I am picking up is the car will drive around.

To narrow down, will the car be able to keep up w/ traffic when taking off at a stop light or will I be holding up the driver behind me until the rpms reach around 2500?

Thanks again.

Dave

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had almost your EXACT same setup in mine but I also had ported gt-40 heads and a ported cobra intake. Car drove sort of fine but idle was a little bit rough. I then installed an MSD 6AL...that helped the rought idle a little bit. It was a REAL DOG down low even with my 3.73 and a shift kit once it got up to 2500rpm it wanted to burn the tires up. Basically the car wouldn't move until it got above 2500 rpm. After I put on my precision industries converter 2800-3000 it screamed off the line. Much better acceleration. I totally suggest getting one. Are you about to get one?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the Baumann AOD valve body shift kit plus pressure regulator boost valve built into my trans (see lower sig). I don't have the 303 cam but what I have is close to its specs, I believe. The car is NA w/10.5 compression and 3.73 gears. I think driveability is pretty good and as long as I keep it in drive, not OD around town (under 40mph), I don't see much "stumbling". If I could do it again (and I might) I would probably go with a T5. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I do stick w/ an Auto trans setup, it will be w/ a 2500 + stall.

The car will not be tested until it is dynoed and complete (trans, suspension, etc). I just so happen to have many engine components already.

Thanks for the heads up on the MSD. I was planning on putting that in.

Like I said the car is for the weekends and my concern is not being able to keep up w/ traffic when I start off from the light w/ the stock convertor. The trans will be addressed, just probably at the end of this if not the fall. I just want to be able to tool around and cruise w/ it until then.

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am installing a new AOD from Select Performance with a 2800 stall from the same company. Then I'm going to go with a Trick Flow Level 1 cam.

To answer your question, when FMS sells their crate engines, they sell two versions, one being the B-303 for manual, and E-303 meant for use in automatic cars, so I think you won't be that bad.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yes , but even in Summit it used to say with the "E" cam to use @ least a 2500 stall converter with a 3.55 or steaper gear... Id recommend checking into either www.converter.com or www.edgeracingconverters.com They make 2 great converters for the AOD and theyll match a converter to your gear , motor and what your plans are... :) Its driveable with the stock AOD , but you wont get the full affect until you get a matched converter or swap to 5 spd.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
with the tfs#1 and 3.55 gears with a stock convertor wouldn't footbrake past 1300, the car had 2.3x 60 fts running 14.0s @ 100 mph. and i couldn't use od until 50 mph. car would light the 225/55/16 general rubber up @ 20 mph.

with a trans specialties convertor(not same convertor in car now),Pa valvebody(not in car since im trying to sell it) modifed the turbocoupe rear quad shock bracket by drilling a hole 2" lower than the stock one, and southside lowers with a 15x8x26 slick ran a 13.01 @ 106 with a 1.7 60'.

I think an aod car the first mod should be the gears and convertor.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
keep the auto! only swap to a t-5 if your awesome at driving it and dont mind going through the swap. a built auto is TOUGH to beat and much easier on parts then a t-5. i'd recomend atleast a 3000 stall or even higher if its an AODE since lockup is conrolled by the EEC. keep the stock cam till you get a converter in there. its key to match converter and cam. get them both in and matched and you'll have a nice smle on your face!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
with a stock converter it will suck like mentioned before. I did the E-cam with a 2800 PI and it was good but still won't come off the line at the track(that is key on the street it is different)with a 5 speed car at 5000. I later swaped to a 5-speed. I also added GT40X heads and a trickflow street heat intake at the same time as the E-303 and 1.7's

·
Registered
923 Posts
I had my E-303 added when I first had my H/C/I added to my 90 AOD hatch. I still had the 2.73's and it was a total dog down low. When I went to 4.10 gears I could burn the tires up from a stand still with no converter. I added a 2400 non lockup unit which helped low end even more, but looking back I would have gone with at least a 2800 non lockup unit. To answer your question, you should still get around OK without a converter, just don't try to race anyone down low.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Does any company make a affordable (Below $300) 2K-2500 Stall convertor for a AODe?

If so, can you please post there contact info. Next month I am dropping in a built N/A 302 with heads & intake, Stock cam with 1.7s into my 95 aode car. I want a car with a good low-mid range. Car is gonna be kept below 6000 RPMs.

Thanks...

·
Registered
923 Posts
The B&M for Ford motorsports 2400 non lockup stall cost me $299, but that was a few years ago. No input shaft change required.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would like to get a 2-2500 stall that still locks up. my car is a daily driver and 4.10s already sucks the gears.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Outlaw-- stock aode convertors can stall til 2000 on the footbrake. i would get a 3200 aode convertor

1 - 20 of 23 Posts