Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know custom grinds are the way to go...but I really like the E303 despite the drivability probs it gives. But I already ordered the cam, JMS chip and the heads are on their way at the end of this month.

Basically I just want to see if anyone is running this combo. I did a search on it and nothing really showed up. From what i could see nobody is running the E303, AFR's and Ported Cobra intake. My car dynos 250rwhp right now, and from what ive seen, most people dont hit 300 rwhp. I dont see any reason why i shouldnt though. I would think Cam, Heads and a ported intake would give me 50 rwhp. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
52 Posts
E303 and AFRs

I was running the e-cam in my 94GT and never got it to idle very well. Even with the chip the ECM really needs more vacuum then the e-cam can give you. Look at the Steeda #18 or #19 cams for your setup. They designed it specifically for the 94/95 ECM. My JMS chip just couldn't help my motor so I stepped back to the stock cam for the mean time.

If your not already signed up, get on the SN95 Yahoo email group. There are a couple of us that have tried this cam and have been unsuccessful. The only guys I have seen with radical cams in these cars use a new ECM like the 93 Cobra or an aftermarket programmable one.

Keep me posted if you are successful using this cam. I'm on a quest to find a good combo using the stock ECM and JMS chip, so far to no avail.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I don't run AFRs but I do have the e-303. It seems that some tend to have lots of problems with this cam and others don't. I don't have any probems with this cam. Yeah you probably could get more power out of another cam but for the price the e-303 isn't a bad cam. As far as the JMS chip, I bought one from them for $305 and I have to say I should have just flushed the $305 down the toilet. At least I would have gotten some enjoyment from that. If you go there and get your car tuned on the dyno they probably are pretty good but if you got a mailorder chip good luck getting ANY customer service out of them if it doesn't work:mad: My car will not idle at all with the chip in place. Some people have lots of good things to say about JMS I do not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All I could tell that the off-the-shelf JMS chip does for you is modify the WOT mixture and raise the "fan-on" temp. My instructions didn't offer any more mods then this, so I could
only guess they didn't change much more.

NXGTS, you will probably never get the E-cam to idle with the stock ECM. I like the cam also but can't use it. My next try is the Steeda #19 for my blown motor.

·
Registered
916 Posts
95CobraofDeath, you might want to try Comp Cams Xtreme cams. I have heard great things about them. They also seem to make great power. Other than that, the Steeda 19 cam would be the best choice. Good Luck.

-Billy

·
Registered
705 Posts
A friend of mine had
shorty headers
explorer intake /65mm tb
73mm CL
pulleys
hpipe no cats
no smog pump
and dynoed 240rwhp

added afr165's with 1.6's and got 260rwhp
he did not change cams though....
hope this helps a little....

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Mean351, that's what I tried to say. With my stock ECM the car runs fine. Plug in the JMS chip and the car will not idle. It starts and then runs as long as you keep your foot in the gas. I bought the chip to get rid of the tip in retard that our ECMs are famous for. So now I've moved to the extender to do away with that since the chip didn't work.

Am I the only 94-95 running an e-303 without any problems?

:confused:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NXGTS said:

Am I the only 94-95 running an e-303 without any problems?

:confused:
:eek: Its lookin like it...Im gonna try it either way, I like the power that the cam can make. My buddies "mild" 347 made 350rwhp 380rwtq with cleaned up Windsor sr heads and the E303. Hopefully i can tweak it enough to get it to idle, and maybe i'll get lucky and get a good chip or sumthin:D , well see how it works

·
Registered
113 Posts
after a short "learning" curve for the stock ECM, mine has been running great for the past 15,000 miles.

It must be luck of the draw but mine makes great power, sounds mean at idle. Did I say sounds mean at idle? I guess I did.

I don't think I'd trade mine. I love it.

Al

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'm running the E-303 in my 94GT (Cobra clone). I put this car together backwards, it was a drag car now a street car. The block is a 90GT with the E-cam installed. After driveability problems appeared, i.e. high idle, stalling at stop signs, I was pulling my hair out. The last thing I tried worked. I installed
Ford's air adjusting plate at the air by-pass.
I called C&L and ordered their 76mm MAF kit and while talking with them the subject of my E-303 came up. They don't particuliarly like it in the 94-95 cars with the lobe separation (110 I think), but they did say that one of the mistakes made with our cars is using too large of injectors as our ECM at idle mixture is overly rich to begin with. With my combination of GT-40 heads, 65mmTB, 76mm MAF, and E-303 they suggested sticking with 19lb. injectors.
I found C&L to be very knowledgeable on the subject of our 94-95 cars with concrete dyno numbers to back up their theorys.
One other thing they said, using a cold air induction with a right angle into the fenderwell is not a good thing for our idle either. It forces air to one side of the MAF sensor and screws with the calibration. Just my II cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts