Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about E.T. gains on a turbo car going from full exhaust and air filter, to open downpipe and just a screen type filter, so basically no filter at all. I know a lot depends on what filter and mufflers you have, just looking for a general idea.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Watch out for screens. Very few screens have more than 50% opening window. Almost none are over 70% open. Be sure you actually look up the wire diameter and mesh size and calculate or find the open area. A five inch diameter screen with 3/16th grid size killed my turbo.

While not as bad as an air filter, a screen still need lots of surface area.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'm running a blower, but I've tried pulling my small air filter on the dyno and at the track, and only saw a few hp on the dyno and minimal difference at the track. A week and a half ago, I tried dropping my cat back completely at the track and saw from zero to 5.5 rwhp difference, depending on how the variables fell.

I've heard of people gaining a lot of power from doing both (or either); that wasn't the case for me.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info guys, I just remembered reading about someone who pulled the filter off, and ran a straight downpipe from the turbo and gained something like 80rwhp.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Those were the stories I was hearing too. That's why I tried both. Let us know what your results are!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I will try the no filter thing, I would hate to suck up a grasshopper and trash a turbo and an engine. I have built a bolt on open downpipe, I can leave my full exhaust in tact and have a dump right behind the front tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts