Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired U.S. Air Force
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the Lincoln rotor/caliper with Ranger axle setup in the back of my car awhile back. I didn't get the E-brake cables from the Lincoln and the brackets were for a different cable than my stock stang cables. The brackets require a cable that has a twin eyelet fork at the end to connect to where the stock stang cables have a knob at the end that fits into a cup. I made some fittings and welded them to the cable as pictured below

I then took the Lincoln bracket and welded a rod through it so I could attach the cable end and install a cotter pin.
You can see the welded piece(don't laugh at my upside down gasless welding) on the cable and the rod is attaches to in the pic below.

Here is the finished product. Well, it still needs cleaned and powdercoated but I threw some quick paint on it for now.

I'm going to powdercoat or paint everyrhing. The brake pulls perfectly fine and locks the wheels fine on stands. When I get it on the ground and on a slant, I'll be able to adjust it some. I don't like having to pull the lever up more than three quarters of the way. It's close now so a little adjustment will do it. The rear parts have enough play to allow it too.
No new cables for me. Just about 3 hours and a welder and I have a parking brake again.

I did this because a buddy has the SVO cables and his came with a ball too rather than the fork like I need.
Just thought I'd share a possible idea with those in the same boat.
Later
Dave

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Damn it I cannot see the pics for somereason. Very interested in this.

Dave do you have the old black306 link or instructions on doing the ranger disc swap?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
lol @ broken corral now up with yourself.

·
Retired U.S. Air Force
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry, the pics are on my gallery on Corral. Not sure if I added them right. I did use Derek's site for the swap but the E-Brake wouldn't work for me.
http://svo73mm.cjb.net/ is his site. I'll try to play with the pics more to get them up.

Steve, I can't seem to get Corral to show my pics from their own gallery pages. I have a few saved if you want me to E-mail them to you.
Later
Dave

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Thanks Dave, send them my way if you could.:)

[email protected]

Isn't svo73mm Matt90GTs site?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
So dave that is brilliant if it works.

So those are the stock drum brake fox body mustang e brake cables you are using?

I may be going on a parts hunt here soon.:)

·
Retired U.S. Air Force
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, they're the stock cables that came on the car from the factory. They work fine but I just want to adjust them a little for my preference. I'll clean the welds up some more and paint or powdercoat it all. I just wanted functionality now.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it brilliant.
The eyelets on the cable were made in the most ghetto fashion you can think of. I replaced the door opener in my garage and had the bars that attach to the door left over. They're a good 3/16" thick. They were drilled already so I cut a section off, cut a groove in it for the cable end to attach to and welded it on. I then took the securing pins from the door opener and shortened them and welded them to the stock lincoln brackets. Then I ground the welds down for clearance. You can see how it looks above now. A bit sloppy but I'll clean it up soon. I've actuated it many times now and my crappy welds are holding fine.
I sent you the rest of the pics via E-mail.
Hope I can help you save some money.
Later
Dave

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Dave R said:

The eyelets on the cable were made in the most ghetto fashion you can think of. I replaced the door opener in my garage and had the bars that attach to the door left over. They're a good 3/16" thick. They were drilled already so I cut a section off, cut a groove in it for the cable end to attach to and welded it on. I then took the securing pins from the door opener and shortened them and welded them to the stock lincoln brackets.

lol dave that is the sign of a good fabricator right there. Improvise and having a good knowledge of what is in your surroundings that may be usable on a project.lol:lol:

Got the rest of the pics. Thank you.:cool:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Pretty good fabrication! I guess you used the ebrake cable brackets (I see them in the pics), but did you bend them to clear the LCA mounting points as the caliper slides on the rotor? I used the 86 SVO cables, which were the same as the stock ones just a bit longer. I cut the "U" shaped mounting part off the Lincoln cables and cut a slot in it to fit the new cables, then JB Welded it closed. I used all the stock parts on mine. Here is a pic of it all installed:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts