Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My back brakes have been dragging after applying the handbrake since I redid them a couple weeks ago, so I tore into them AGAIN :mad: to try to find the problem, and the problem is the cables don't move freely anymore. If you pull the handle up, the release springs at the ends of the cables aren't strong enough to pull the cable back out and it causes the brakes to drag. I lubed all the points I could find but I think it's in the sheathed part of the cable.

I'm surprised I haven't come across this more often. This car was a 4-season rustbelt daily driver for a long time but it hasn't seen salt and barely any rain for 3 years now so surely there are worse ones out there.

Anyone have similar experiences, comments? Seems like replacing them is kind of a PITA.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I replaced the E-brake cables on my 90. Not hard at all. Use a 1/2" box wrench to compress the cable at its connection to the backing plate. Same goes for where they connect to the floor pan. Replacement cables are affordable at the local auto parts store. I bet you will have them replaced in under an hour. Tom

·
Registered
746 Posts
Like Tom is saying, the brake cables are fairly easy to replace. Usually the toughest part is getting them out of the bracket where they connect at the drum. The body clips push in then slide out. By yourself, you can do them in an hour...tops.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the drivers side out of the backing plate without too much effort when I was trying to get a better look at the assembly, it's the part where they connect up in the driveshaft tunnel that looks like a PITA. How are they held in that equalizer bracket? Just a slotted hole like a clutch cable? Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
What are you doing! Haven't you had enough with the drums to just say F it and convert to disc yet MFE?

hehe, just had to rub it in.

Your only way to save them would be to go to a motor cycle shop and buy a cable lube kit. About $20 and it comes with this adapter you put on the end of the cable and then squirt the fluid through that. It forces the fluid down the cable. Works really well. I have used it on all my bike, throttle cables on the cars and trucks. Worth a shot, but $20 into what could be new cables also. I have bikes so I have all that on hand already.

·
15,477 Posts
I bought a pair a couple years ago because mine were sticking as well. They seemed like a PITA to replace though so I didn't do it. THey weren't cheap from what I remember.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know...$30 for cables is $30 I could spend on the ones for DISCS...but not yet :mad:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Once you unhook them from the armature in the drum, you can pull the cable forward and slide them out of the front equalizer bracket. They should slip right out....

·
Registered
428 Posts
LOL! Get'em Matt!

/me pokes Fraser...Yea!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts