Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dynomax/Mac cat back

Does anyone else run a catback with Dynomax mufflers and Mac tailpipes?
I've had mine on for about 6 years and just in the last year or so, the chrome part of the pipes look like [email protected]#$! They are all rusting with no end in sight. Has anyone elses done this?

Also, how have you gotten your pipes to stay in place using the stock rubber pipe hangers? Mine move around and then the passenger side pipe bangs something fierce when I corner hard in a left hand turn. Any ideas?

What type/brand of chrome tailpipes for an LX would everyone suggest? I don't want Mac again!

Thanks, Matty

·
Registered
905 Posts
Re: Dynomax/Mac cat back

Matty said:
Does anyone else run a catback with Dynomax mufflers and Mac tailpipes?
I've had mine on for about 6 years and just in the last year or so, the chrome part of the pipes look like [email protected]#$! They are all rusting with no end in sight. Has anyone elses done this?

Also, how have you gotten your pipes to stay in place using the stock rubber pipe hangers? Mine move around and then the passenger side pipe bangs something fierce when I corner hard in a left hand turn. Any ideas?

What type/brand of chrome tailpipes for an LX would everyone suggest? I don't want Mac again!

Thanks, Matty
The key phrase in that sentence is, "I've had mine on for about 6 years"... Chrome isnt gonna stay perfect over a 6 year period. If you ask me, thats a damn good bit of time for tailpipes to stay nice. Trash 'em, get new ones. I'd reccomend MAC, but you dont want 'em.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I didn't expect them to be perfect, but I'd didn't think that they would go bad the way they have.

I think that the biggest reason for my opposition to Mac is the fit. Did yours fit well after install? Do they have to be adjusted a lot?

Thanks for the response.
Matty

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Ok, let me explain to you the bottom line about tailpipes, and fitment issues. Properly fitting tailpipes (read: STOCK fitting), is one of my personal pet peeves. I have owned Flowmaster, MAC, and Dynomax tailpipes. Let me tell you, the MAC and Flowmaster fit like s h i t (Flowmaster a little better)!! The MAC ones were so bad, they stuck in waaay too much (too close to the gas tank). Dynomax aluminized tailpipes fit identical to stock, and will last longer and be shinier than the MACs. Chrome tailpipes don't look good on a Mustang, aluminized looks proper. Get the dynomax pipes...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I Agree with the last reply. Dynomax fits same as stock. I believe Walker makes the stock exhaust so they know the exact dimensions. I had the Dynomax 2 1/2" pipes on my '90 LX for 6 years and the chrome looks great!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. Where did you get your pipes? Am I able to buy just the pipes? I checked their web site, but it gave me local shops that have them. But the local shop I haven't had the best of luck with, so I would rather not use them. Anywhere mail order?

Thanks again.

Matty

·
Registered
139 Posts
Dynomax does sell just the pipes. Look up the part # on dynomax.com and then go to Summit's site and look them up... just put WLK- in front of the part #.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great! Thanks again! The Corral is awesome!

Matty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts