Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to dyno tune my car, My friend has a ricer place who will do it for like 60 bux, but i don't know if they can tune it so good. Now a mustang place I know of will do it and tune it for 150.00 for an hour. But I dont want to go in there and see lets say 295 and then 1 hour later see 295 again.. I want to see a little bit of diffrence for 150.00 . What did you guys see as a diff. when you went. THANKS

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Definitely go to a place that is familiar with Mustangs....they might "do" Mustangs but make sure they actually "know" Mustangs.
Out here it's $125hr....but if that place is good with Mustangs it's worth $150. Plus it should only take about an hour if your car is in descent tune. Skip the ricer place, they may spend half the time asking you where stuff is on your car (fp regulator, etc). have fun!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just got mine done last week! It was $100 for the first hour, $150 each additional hour! They got mine done is lees then 2 hours. I gained 22rwhp from them tuning it! DEFINTLY worth it!

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
NOS89GT

NOS89GT said:
Just got mine done last week! It was $100 for the first hour, $150 each additional hour! They got mine done is lees then 2 hours. I gained 22rwhp from them tuning it! DEFINTLY worth it!
Did you go to Paul's Automotive?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Place close to here is $100/hr for as many pulls as you want. You can tune yourself or they can. It was $25 for a/f reading too. So $125 for the hour I gained 16rwhp but the car is still running too lean (maf meter i think).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah I went to Pauls! It was kinda cool getting to watch it being done and how the tuning is done! Its a really good shop I was impressed with it!!!:joy: :joy:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Want to dyno tune my car, My friend has a ricer place who will do it for like 60 bux, but i don't know if they can tune it so good. Now a mustang place I know of will do it and tune it for 150.00 for an hour. But I dont want to go in there and see lets say 295 and then 1 hour later see 295 again.. I want to see a little bit of diffrence for 150.00 . What did you guys see as a diff. when you went. THANKS
Where do you plan on taking it may I ask? I used to live in the area and know of a shop that I would NOT reccomend.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
NPS89GT
Who did the dyno? Was it Mike?
I plan on taking my car over there soon. I buddy of mine works there in the evenings part time. He did the short block in my sig.
It is a nice place. How many pulls did you get for in the first hour for $100?
What all did they do to tune it up?

·
Registered
877 Posts
150 is worth it if they are using a knock meter to sense detonation and an o2 sensor to tell how rich or lean you are. most of cheaper shops will only offer pull and tell you what you have and then to try and tune without either of these is a joke. are you going to have them burn a chip for you or do you have a pms or something? i like pauls also, he built my engine and when i get my car back together i will take it there.mike is a great person there who knows his ****. some have flamed paul for being too pricey, but he's no damn walmart his specialy is stangs and i recommend him highly. wldtang,what is your buddy's name and what does he do at nights,besides building your shortblock

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
His name is Tim RoveKamp.
He just works there part time. Mainly when he feels like it. I agree with you on Pauls. He is a little pricey but he does nothing other than Fords and mainly mustangs. They do know their **** there. One of the editors in the race pages has his car there. He did an article on Mikes car in the feb issue of 5.0 ( I think). Good people.
When do you plan to take your car there? did steve do your engine?
I am still trying to get the bugs worked out of mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah Mikes the one that did mine! I thought he was good! He answered all my Q's and BS about stangs! I would recomend Pauls to anyone! I know I wont go anywhere else now!:D :D I got about 2-3 pulls in the first hour, I think i done 5-6 total within the 2 hours!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
NOS89GT said:
Did they burn a chip for you too, or is that just from their adjustments in fuel pressure, timing, etc???

I just got my combo running, and I know I would benifit from some tuning. A guy I know in Columbus had his Cobra there for work. TFS ported heads, extrude honed stock intake and exhaust and they got 297 RWHP. Not too shabby!

I Paul's down in Cincy?? I am in Toledo, so that is a bit of a trip for me.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jw33 said:

Where do you plan on taking it may I ask? I used to live in the area and know of a shop that I would NOT reccomend.
Its mustang specialties, And the I don't know if they have a knock sensor, HERE IS THE THING, I will be getting a blower soon and they burn custom chips for like 600 I am thinking on not even wasting my time till I get the blower on. Its 150.00/hr And I would not even think about wasting any more then an hour. I will see...

·
Registered
31 Posts
if it's anytime soon...wait till the blower is on.
put big injectors in it and go overkill on the fuel system so that they'll have some measure of tunability to work with. i've seen 50++rwhp from no tune to a good dyno/wideband tune on a blower car

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah they burnt me a chip also, in the end I got 267.1RWHP & 294.9RWT with the MODS listed in my sig, he said I loose 22-26% through the drivetrain sinces its an auto But atleast I got around 325-336 ponys at the flywheel with N/A, I imigine I'd see close to 400 on the 125 shot, didnt try that yet! I'm going back to see what #'s I'll get on the juice!:evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
NOS89GT said:
Yeah they burnt me a chip also, in the end I got 267.1RWHP & 294.9RWT with the MODS listed in my sig, he said I loose 22-26% through the drivetrain sinces its an auto But atleast I got around 325-336 ponys at the flywheel with N/A
What was the baseline they started at? Do you know what you were going in?

How much do they charge to burn the chip?

I am hoping to be in the same range you are with my mods.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
My startingRWHP was 245.3, they got it up to what its is now with tuning! I was impressed! I alredy had a chip, your best bet is to find a used one on the net, I giot my off the corral classifieds, new there like $280! The chip burn was with my dyno time, the raised the rev limit and took off for the smog crap and EGR! I end up paying like $254 with tax for 2 hours worth of tuning! Also the hooked up a wideband O2 sensor!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Joe, I went to New England Dyno is worcester(sp?).
www.nedyno.com
the owner Dean is a nice guy and they have someone there who knows how to tune mustangs, not the day I was there. They do burn custom chips too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.