Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dyno yesterday (again). I didn't bother running a new set of base numbers. My car was 262/284 RWHP/TQ when stock. Then I ran numbers without the pre-cat filter and got 265/285. Then I ran an Xcalibrator 93 octane tune from Alternative Auto (with pre-cat filter removed) and got 274/298. Then I added the JLT CAI with their Xcalibrator tune (plus 2 degrees of timing) and got 286/302. That's a gain of 24 RWHP and 18 ft/lbs. torque from bone stock, plus the benefit of much better throttle response. I did add Flowmaster American Thunder Axle Backs which are reflected in the 286/302 numbers but I didn't install them with any gain expectations (looks/sound only) and I doubt they contributed to any power increases. FWIW - I went to the dyno with a buddy that has a 4.6L Cobra (4V heads, twin O/H cams), underdrive pulleys, longtubes, Bassani cat-backs, timing adjuster and CAI. He was getting about 285/285 (which seems low to me).

·
Registered
329 Posts
jlt and tune

i hope that the jlt gives more power than that,and mabey you have more in your tune but, liddio is a very good tuner from what i have read over the years because if thats all you gain from the jlt kit i am going to cancell my order and get the steeda insted, they have cars with more than 30-39 rwhp to most cars they have put the jlt kit on.someone who has gained alot from the jlt kit please give some input before i make the wrong move. :confused:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Not every car responds the same to the same mods, its as simple as that...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping for more with the addition of the CAI. But I only gained 12 RWHP and 14 RWTQ with the initial tune from Alternative Auto (stock air intake without the pre-cat filter) and he (Lidio) was getting 20/20 gains in some cases. Also Lidio worked with me (great customer support after the sale) to tweak his original tune but it didn't really make any difference. So there is no doubt every car is different and gains of 35/35 are IMO not typical. My minimum goal in adding the CAI was to break 285/300 so I guess I'm okay with the results, though an unexpected surprise of higher gains would have been nice. Take my advice (from my experience) -don't set your hopes too high and you won't be disappointed. Later this summer I may get the Xcal 2 and/or a custom tune just to see if it makes any difference. I've done all I can do with the free Xtreme Personal Tune software. The next mod is a blower after the warranty is expired. I see a lot of guys spending hundreds here and there and making small gains (vs. dollars spent) when compared to the gains you get for the cost of a blower/exhaust system. Again just my opinion. I hope this helps those of you considering the CAI/tune mod!

·
Registered
66 Posts
tksuther, is your car an auto or stick, your sig says 5 speed but then they all are. The gains reported by autos are lower than the stick cars. Also are your results really correct. you stated you did not run the baseline on the same day. For accurate results the baseline must be done on the same day (minimum) as conditions can change even in a few hours that will skew the results. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One thought...

I have read that Ford has altered the tune for these cars from the original release. I think that early production cars are seeing a bigger increase because the original tune was not quite as agressive as the current factory tunes....

Warning, I am not 100% sure of the above info, I saw it in a couple of side notes in a couple of different mags....

P.S. I saw one car get 27hp with just a custom tune and the precat removed. It took about an hour on the dyno.....

·
Registered
637 Posts
286/302. That's awesome numbers man. i would be happy with that in a car with mufflers/intake/ and a tune. By the way, where did you get that flowmaster axle back and how does it sound?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Satin Silver 05 said:
tksuther, is your car an auto or stick, your sig says 5 speed but then they all are. The gains reported by autos are lower than the stick cars. Also are your results really correct. you stated you did not run the baseline on the same day. For accurate results the baseline must be done on the same day (minimum) as conditions can change even in a few hours that will skew the results. Just some food for thought.
Thanks Satin. I have a stick and my base line was almost identical the last 2 runs so I didn't bother this time since I wanted dyno time to tweak the JLT tune.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brandon_J29 said:
286/302. That's awesome numbers man. i would be happy with that in a car with mufflers/intake/ and a tune. By the way, where did you get that flowmaster axle back and how does it sound?
Thanks for the feedback. I really like the flows - mainly got them for looks (black body and SS tips) so for me the sound was a bonus. Only a little drone at about 1500 RPM in 4th but I don't drive in 4th at 1500 so it's not a problem for me. I got them at 21st Century Exhaust in Florida for $240. Check bigyellow.com for their phone number - sorry don't have it handy. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got 13 RWHP gain from the SCT tune alone and a few weeks later I added the JLT CAI which added 23 RWHP over just the tune.Total for these mods 36 RWHP from a baseline of 259 to give me 295 RWHP.
My car is an Auto and was built in November. It has about 3600 miles on it now. I have taken it to the track once with just the tune and ran a best 1/4 mile of 13.84 at 99.86 MPH. I can't wait to see what it will do now.

Steve

·
Registered
216 Posts
john panizo said:
because if thats all you gain from the jlt kit i am going to cancell my order and get the steeda insted,
It would be a smart move. Don't forget that Steeda is getting those # down in HOT & Humid South Florida. The cars with there CAI and your other mods get consistantly get close to 300 rwhp....in Florida

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Long Stroke said:
Don't forget that Steeda is getting those # down in HOT & Humid South Florida.
...and if they weren't using corrected numbers that would actually make a difference......

·
Registered
433 Posts
Its just a CAI !! You guys act is if you should gain a ton of hp from such a simple mod. I think some of you need to come back down to reality....

·
Registered
969 Posts
Perhaps the manufacturer should stop advertising the gains if no one actually see's them other than them?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chuck89gt5.0 said:
Its just a CAI !! You guys act is if you should gain a ton of hp from such a simple mod. I think some of you need to come back down to reality....
Chuck - I totally agree, it's just a CAI. The main improvement came from the tune. I work for an engine manufacturer and a couple guys in engineering took a guess at the gains I would get with a tune only (my 2nd trip to the dyno). They knew numbers like 20/20, 25/30, etc. were being claimed. They guessed in the range of 8 to 10. And they weren't too far off. Just FWIW.

·
Registered
183 Posts
CobraNet said:
Perhaps the manufacturer should stop advertising the gains if no one actually see's them other than them?
Read up a few posts. sc67stang got 36 rwhp from the JLT and a tune.
Right on target!

As someone else said, you can not gauge a gain or lose with differant day dynos. The base line and final need to be done the same day same time. And, yes, all cars are different. I did get the gains I saw on 4 differant test cars, but I do explain to people, you should expect 28-35 rwhp, depending on the car, gas, mods, weather and so on. It all plays a part.

So we need to look at the thread starters final #'s to get a idea of if it's working or not.
286/302 are good #'s for his mods...

BTW, the dyno graph on Steeds web site is 45 days apart for there base line and final #'s :rolleyes: There claiming 28rwhp.

tksuther: Glad your happy and like your JLT :)
Jay

·
Registered
183 Posts
jetlaggedGT said:
A 05GT with just JLT and SCT tune dynoed at 292rwhp...

But they had to add a LOT of fuel because the JLT made it so lean.
This is not a bad thing.
292 with a JLT and a tune, that's fantastic!! :joy:

CobraNet: What would his base line #'s have been? I will guess about 255-260 with the intake cat and 265-270rwhp without(that's above avarage) So what's the gain here? :cool:
So there's 2 other cars in one thread. hmmm

All CAI's make the car lean on the 05. There much differant then the past cars.

More air + more fuel = More power.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts