Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just got back from the dyno shop where I dyno tuned our test car. The only mods over the last session are:

- 2lb lower pulley added
- Kooks/JDM 1-5/8" longtubes w/2.5" collectors and JDM H-pipe w/cats
- 50lb injectors (in preparation for nitrous)
- BR7EF spark plugs gapped at .033 (to cure massive spark blowout)

Here is the comparison between last time and this time (all numbers are SAE corrected):

Code:
RPM    Last HP     New HP    DeltaHP    Last TQ    New TQ     DeltaTQ
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2500   217.5       227.3     +9.8       456.9      477.5      +20.6
3000   271.3       293.8     +22.5      475.0      514.4      +39.4
[b]3300   302.6       327.5     +24.9      481.7      521.3      +39.6[/b]
4000   360.9       384.9     +24.0      473.9      505.3      +31.4
4500   401.7       424.4     +22.7      468.8      495.1      +26.3
5000   438.7       465.8     +27.1      460.9      489.3      +28.4
5500   464.9       482.4     +17.5      443.9      460.7      +16.8
6000   475.3       482.1     +6.8       416.0      422.0      +6.0
6500   451.4       477.9     +26.5      364.7      386.2      +21.5
1. Previous peak numbers: 475.3rwhp/481.9rwtq SAE 0.98
New peak numbers: 485.3rwhp/521.3rwtq SAE 0.97

2. The longtubes and addition of 2lb lower pulley added 10.0rwhp/39.4rwtq at peak but added excellent gains throughout the entire RPM range!

3. Switching from NGK TR-6 plugs gapped at 0.039 to NGK BR7EF plugs gapped at 0.033 fixed the bad spark blowout we had at 13psi.

4. Used the MAFterburner to handle the 39lb/hr to 50lb/hr injector calibration. Used the Afterburner-eFPC to retune the new combination to get roughly the same air/fuel ratio as previous session.

You can see the dyno graph here: http://modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=476

Thoughts, comments, etc.?

MJ

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
When do you want me to start on your live axle?

1. Do you think you could have gotten by with the TR-6s at 0.033" or did you have to have the colder (7) plug as well?

2. Why did you get the spike at 6500 so high compared to the 6000 rpm delta hp and torque? You fell of bad last time, this time it held all the way. Maybe the headers? If so, that is a major gain that you don't see on an itty bittie NA 99/01 engine.

3. Did you have the eFPC active as well?

That looks good to me. You are determined to outrun me aren't you!!

Joe

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Big gains all over the rpm span. I would have liked to see what gains were made with the addition of the headers only. Was the header installation difficult? Cost?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe Lynch said:
When do you want me to start on your live axle?

When does the track open? :)

1. Do you think you could have gotten by with the TR-6s at 0.033" or did you have to have the colder (7) plug as well?

I think that I could've gotten by with the TR-6's gapped down at .033. However, when I spray I'm going to want the colder plugs to stave off detonation.

2. Why did you get the spike at 6500 so high compared to the 6000 rpm delta hp and torque? You fell of bad last time, this time it held all the way. Maybe the headers? If so, that is a major gain that you don't see on an itty bittie NA 99/01 engine.

There was an anomaly at the end of the graphs. On one there was a peak and on the other a valley. This was the reason that the hp gain dropped only to 6hp in the middle of almost a 15-20hp increase. The gain was substantial and IMO was due solely to the headers.

3. Did you have the eFPC active as well?

Yes, the eFPC was used to dial in the fuel curve. The MAFterburner was used to compensate for running 50lb/hr injectors. Together these two products worked better than I'd hoped. It's almost that the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts." :D

That looks good to me. You are determined to outrun me aren't you!!

Joe
Hope so, got any pointers on where I might find a built live axle cheap?

MJ

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JohnnyReb said:
Big gains all over the rpm span. I would have liked to see what gains were made with the addition of the headers only. Was the header installation difficult? Cost?
My feelings are that the pulley change was good for about 15-20rwtq. Boost before the pulley change was around 13-13.5psi and dropped to around 10psi at redline. Now it's 15psi and it holds much better to around 13.5-14psi at redline.

Installation was not that bad, took about 7 hours taking my time and doing other projects along the way. The reason for this is the individual primaries and slip-fit collectors. The quality of the Kooks are freakin' awesome!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stedda said:
Gotta love that torque! :eek:
Wait until I unleash the 100hp dry shot! Now that'll be torque! :eek:

MJ

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rev Happy said:
How is the quality of the KOOKS' H Pipe? Any sound clips with the headers and H?

Thanks...
The H-pipe is JDM and the quality is ....... mixed. On the down side, they don't advertise that you have to weld the cats to the h-pipe or that with some modification, you can clamp them BUT they don't provide clamps with the kit. On the upside, the cats are polished SS Cartek (Magnaflow) units and the quality of them is excellent. I would give the unit a 5 out of 10. The Kooks headers are a 10 out of 10.

MJ

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The Kooks headers are a 10 out of 10.

Damn, I can't wait till I get these headers... Regarding the H-pipe, I'm going with an O/R, so welding of the cats is not going to be a problem...:p I'll either go with SHM, JDM, or BBK depending on which one mates up with the KOOKS the best...

Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Mark...I know you're still sorting it out, and these preliminary numbers don't really reflect where you may wind up, and the 03's are a little different breed. But on a centrifugal car, the extra 2 lbs boost would probably be worth more gain than that. It's still hard to tell what the headers do. Although we all agree they ought to be worth something.

Good luck with your quest for more power, and with the development of your tuning products. How easily you were able to adjust for the injectors, drivability problems that come with that, and other changes is what impresses me. HP don't mean much to me. Everyone's got that. You can't use it on the street anyway. But not everyone has a nice driving powerful car. That's the difference with your tuning. MHO

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Man, that midrange increase is NICE! Those headers really improved things across the board. I can only hope to see similar midrange increases in mine when I go from the JBA shorties to the Hooker LT's.

Good luck!

Derek

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ralph Greene said:
Mark...I know you're still sorting it out, and these preliminary numbers don't really reflect where you may wind up, and the 03's are a little different breed. But on a centrifugal car, the extra 2 lbs boost would probably be worth more gain than that. It's still hard to tell what the headers do. Although we all agree they ought to be worth something.

Good luck with your quest for more power, and with the development of your tuning products. How easily you were able to adjust for the injectors, drivability problems that come with that, and other changes is what impresses me. HP don't mean much to me. Everyone's got that. You can't use it on the street anyway. But not everyone has a nice driving powerful car. That's the difference with your tuning. MHO
Hi Ralph,

The system as it stands now (my car) is big-time flow limited. The Eaton is consuming a ton of power and generating a lot of heat. That is the reason why the HP has stopped increasing on the top end. I'm very happy with the headers although without removing the 2lb pulley, I have no idea what contribution they made. There are others who are making similar mods and should be dyno testing soon for those interested.

As far as the tuning products, it's soooo nice to be able to go to the dyno, make a few mouse clicks, and get the car set up the way I want it. With all of the mods that I have, the driveability is as good as stock (well except for the tires baking off at low throttle settings. With over 475 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels at 2500rpm this thing is quite the handful to drive.) The cool thing is, I develop these products for me first and I will not settle with regards to quality and performance.

Thanks for the kind words,

MJ

·
Registered
179 Posts
Did a search here for info on NOS... couldn't find what I was looking for. Do any of you have NOS on a vortec blown 01 cobra? I am running seven pounds of boost and am trying to figure out if I should increase boost, or add some Nitrous. Engine is stock so I really wanna hear what you all suggest in terms of preventing me from shedding parts.

Thanks for the advice, I need it. :evil:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mark,

I know the numbers are SAE corrected, but the what was the temperature last time you dyno'd?

We all know how cold it has been in MA lately, and I'm just wondering how that may have (if at all) skewed the numbers.

I do love that torque curve!

-Paul

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Bright Blue Cobra said:
Mark,

I know the numbers are SAE corrected, but the what was the temperature last time you dyno'd?

We all know how cold it has been in MA lately, and I'm just wondering how that may have (if at all) skewed the numbers.

I do love that torque curve!

-Paul
"Intake air temp" as reported by the Dynojet setup was 64F, CF=0.97.

The car was dynoed in a heated shop. It was probably 20F outside of the shop.

BTW, the uncorrected numbers were: 499.5rwhp/538.6rwtq.
STD Corrected: 509.59rwhp/549.50rwtq
SAE Corrected: 486.55rwhp/524.66rwtq

Taken from my run as viewed on the Dynojet RunViewer.

MJ

MJ

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Mark,

intake temps on the Eaton can be greatly reduced through the use of small 50-shot! :D

Just an FYI. Congrats on the great products, and the even better results!

joe

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
J.Monaghen said:
Mark,

intake temps on the Eaton can be greatly reduced through the use of small 50-shot! :D

Just an FYI. Congrats on the great products, and the even better results!

joe
Hey Joe,

Thanks for the kind words. My car is currently wired/plumbed for a 50-shot with a 100hp "chaser". Zone-5 is developing a two-stage computerized dry nitrous controller for the returnless cars and my '03 is the first guinea pig! All I have to do is stuff the circuit board and write the software and I should have this done within a month. Happy day!

Mark

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
mjchip said:
Hey Joe,

Zone-5 is developing a two-stage computerized dry nitrous controller for the returnless cars

Mark
Mark, awesome numbers! adding nitrous... thats gonna be a fun ride. Where do I send the check for the above? I am running a dry setup and would love to give that a try ;) (Going on the dyno April 12!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts