Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just dynoed my car and it made 307 rwhp at 5600 rpm and 306 torque.the motor is 10.5 to 1 306 with afr 165s,tea ported rpm intake,70 mm throttle body,extreme energy cam with 224/232 @.050 and 555/564 lift,1 3/4 bbk long tubes,dr gas x pipe,ultra flow ss catback. this was with a custom tuned chip. i think the motor should be making peak power around 6000-6200.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
That's a little low. Did you mess with timing and fuel pressure at all? When I dynoed my last motor (similar setup to yours) it made 308 on the first pull. After 5 pulls I had it up to 321.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
766 Posts
I would say there is more there with tuning. I made the power in the sig with the parts in the sig. Cam specs for me are: duration @.05, 218/222, lift: .5344,.528 on a 109*ls. I have the stock 74k bottom end. 302/w 9.0 compression w/58cc afr's.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
How was the a/f ratio? How did the graph look in the upper rpm's, clean or jittery? I dont see any fuel system mods, do you have a good pump & injectors?

Quick ?, how is the sound of your car with those dynomax ultra flo's?? Loud, but not too loud or very quiet? I wanna quiet mine down cause my 2ch flows are too loud, but I dont want it to be a quiet mouse.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
DId you weld on new collectors for the 3" setup or? Those bbk's come with a 2 1/4" hole before opening them up. What was the tune? A/F ratios?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dyno

the cars a/f was 12.9.the fuel system has 30lbs injectors and a 190 intank pump.went to the track last night .best run was 12.20 at 110.5 with a 1.69 60ft. does anyone know if retarding the cam would raise the powerband? and would that increase peak horsepower?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
12.9 a/f at wot is too rich. You want it at 13.2-13.5 a/f @ wot. You have more than 110 trap speeds in the car. I would guess 112. How was the fp and timing?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Grn92: The fuel psi and timing are controlled through the chip. They say for a street car A/F ratio should be roughly 12.8-13.0 and a full point less if charged or nitroused.

What was your torque? Did Byron tune it? I have an appointment for him to tune mine this saturday. For some reason I think his dyno reads LOW. My buddy dynoed his 347 and it made 380RWHP/383 TQ on his dyno at Mustang Ranch and ran 119.8 MPH at the track!!! The tech calculators on here say he's making 466 HP (flywheel) for his weight/trap speeds. That tells me he's making closer to 395-400 RWHP. That's why dyno's don't mean much to me. It's all about the trap speed vs. weight. That'll tell ya if you're making power or not. The guy that did my cam will tell you to retard your cam. If I'm correct that cam installed dot to dot will give you a 108 intake centerline and he'd recommend at least 112 (straight up per LSA) if not a little more. That'd give more top end and with the long runner efi intake it wouldn't lose much if ANY low end. My car has a lot of low end and pulls hard up top as well. I'll have the dyno #'s next sat and track times maybe that night. As long as I get it tuned right, the trap speeds are all that's really gonna matter to me.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Could you post your graph? What does the car weigh?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dyno

the thing that i dont understand is why the torque is so low.the 12.20 pass was with a 1st to 2nd shift at 5200,so i think it has some more in it.i also think it should get 1.58-1.62 60 ft range.i am gonna put a air bag in it and go to the track and see if that helps

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Did TEA hog the ever living hell out of your RPM intake or keep it very mild in size since your using SMALL 165cc AFR's? Very important. Velocity = hp/tq.

Otherwise I don't see any glaring problems. On the BBK LT's you should have cut off the 2.25" ball flange and welded on a 3" ball flange to take full advantage of your 3" exhaust. But thats about it IMHO. Air fuel ~ 13.0 is fine NA.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dyno

the rpm was ported to a 1262 gasket.it was set up for my friends 347.the ports are way bigger than the ones on the heads.i had to gasket match the heads to the lower.i think i am going to have ed at flowtech set me up with some afr 185s and a custom cam.i would like to get 350+rwhp.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ball flange

i did weld on a 3 inch ball flange

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
weight

the car by it self weighhs 2900 and with me in it weighs 3120

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Well I think that heavily ported RPM lower is the problem since your using 165cc AFR's. Even if you port matched the head entrance it still necks down to a small bowl and 1.90 valve. Plus was the RPM upper ported like the lower - cause its pretty small out of the box. My experiences tell me that this is your main problem. The 165cc AFR's work so well because they've got small ports/runners and need a similarly sized intake runner to make good power. But now you've opened them up to 1262 Gaskets and killed the velocity. Similarly the RPM intake really isn't a good candidate for a Fel Pro 1262 sized cross section head because there really isn't enough material in the upper to match that.

IMHO you should have installed the 165cc AFR's out of the box and RPM intake either out of the box or lightly cleaned up. I think that would have put you ~ 330-340rwhp.

Where to go from here? Find a buyer for your 1262 matched 165cc AFR's and heavily Ported RPM. Then call Ed Curtis for some lightly ported 165cc AFR's or 185cc AFR's (out of the box) and a lightly ported RPM intake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts