Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( :( :( :( :(

306, 10:5.1 CR, Stage 3 Edelbrock aluminum, ported Cobra intake, full offroad exhaust, ProM 75mm, 24lb, 70mm, u/d crank pulley, etc.

298.6 rwhp @5750rpm 323.2 rwtq @4500rpm

:( :( :( :( :(

This car used to pull alot harder. The pull was constant until 5300rpm. At 5300-5800rpm, it would just all of the sudden pull noticably harder right before the shift (like I had, lol, VTEC). Now that pull is gone. Tuned up everything with autolite 3924s gapped at .050 - .052

Help?

What would a Vortec A-Trim do for me (w/o changing the 24lb, and I've got 155lp/h already)? Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What are the specs on your cam? Also, what type of headers? How big of exhaust?

With the powerband you're describing, it sounds almost like you have the car setup to pull up high. If so, swap that Cobra intake for a Holley and I'd bet you get at LEAST 10-20 rwhp.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Give more info. Cam, fuel pressure, timing and so on.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Personally, the edelbrock performer or maybe rpm would be much better than the holley, holley is too much for his heads and cubes. Remember, a full ported 6037 (what edelbrock head is it?) will only do about 250-260 cfm MAX, which is still under a box stock tfs and farther under a 185 afr and about the same to a box stock afr 165. Your torque numbers look pretty good.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I made 290/320 this week with my 6037's (stage 1), TFS street (out of box), and Crane 2031 cam (on a 112 IC). I have LTs and so forth for exhaust.

Ended up up with 18* and around 35psi for my tune. The car is still a touch rich (12.4) and wants more timing. I use 24lbs injectors.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is the info that I got from the guy whom I bought it from.

Wolverine 1087 cam put in straightup.
2.5:1
.510 int
.534 exh

(from their website: 289*/299* - 222*/232* - .510"/.534")

1.7 rockers

202 intake valve
160 exh valve

heads
53cc combust chamber x cc = 55cc total

bbk 1 5/8" longtubes
heads are probably the 6037s

FUEL PRESSURE was at 38 and he lowered it to 37. Timing at 15*. I put in a USED custom Superchip that I bought from someone with similar mods on his 306. The fuel map was kept the same as Ford stock.

Air/fuel = 17.5

btw, I don't know what most of this means :D Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sounds like you have the Performer RPM heads. Kind of odd the heads have been milled, you have 2.02 valves and your lift is at about .542 on the intake with 1.7s. I would think the pistons and vlaves would touch. Oh, well. The numbers dont sound all that bad. Did you tune the car on the dyno? Change timing and fuel pressure? I gained about 13 HP and 14 TQ from my first run with simple tuning.

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
Hey:

I don't really like those 75mm Meters. They are flaky out of the box, and it usually gets worse over time. Did the dyno have an a/f meter? How did that look?

I usually gapped my plugs at .35 for naturally aspirated.

What's your fuel pressure at? What kind of regulator?

Steve

·
Registered
753 Posts
I usually gapped my plugs at .35 for naturally aspirated
Really? Thats sounds more like power adder gap. I keep mine at .054. I believe stock is .050

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
93hatch said:
Sounds like you have the Performer RPM heads. Kind of odd the heads have been milled, you have 2.02 valves and your lift is at about .542 on the intake with 1.7s. I would think the pistons and vlaves would touch.
He said they were flycut pistons. And yeah, the guy running the dyno did play with different timing setting and fuel pressure. The worse timing setting was 282.2/307.0 hp/tq @10* I think. I put in an MSD timing adjuster to make it easier for him so i got a total of 5 pulls.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Your AF was 17.5!!!!!!!!!! Are you sure it was 17.5? That is so F-ing lean it aint funny! Change that before you go WOT again.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LXguy said:
Hey:

I don't really like those 75mm Meters. They are flaky out of the box, and it usually gets worse over time. Did the dyno have an a/f meter? How did that look?

I usually gapped my plugs at .35 for naturally aspirated.

What's your fuel pressure at? What kind of regulator?

Steve

I have a C&L 76mm kit for 24lb also. A couple of shops, one being LaRocca, said that they don't like that C&L so I went with the ProM 75. But ouch, I'd hate to spend another $125 to get it dyno tuned again. I thought .35 gap was for power adders. Fuel pressure is at 37psi. I don't know what kind of regulator but it's an adjustable one, with steel braided fuel lines and a fuel pressure gauge (Phantom, I think).

And they hooked it up to wideband O2 sensors.

Btw, real nice guys at Heffner's Performance in Glenn Burnie, MD. First time I used them.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
that a/f ratio of 17.5 is not good. You need about 13:1 on an n/a car such as yours. MORE FUEL! You very well could need up to 45psi vac off (hose not connected to fpr). That maf probably costs you a few hp.....cl 76 would be a good upgrade. You will help yourself by opening up the header entrances by cleaning up the welding mess with a dremel or similar tool. WHats the rest of the exhaust? Try running WITHOUT that superchip? I wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
93hatch said:
Your AF was 17.5!!!!!!!!!! Are you sure it was 17.5? That is so F-ing lean it aint funny! Change that before you go WOT again.
How do I do that? On the fuel pressure regulator? Can you give me some instructions?

On the first pull, fuel pressure was at 38psi. Then he said it was running kind of rich and lowered it to 37psi. But all five of the dyno pulls says:

Max AIR/FUEL=17.5

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
845 Posts
dude, you're running way too lean, starving the motor of fuel..I mean, I don't understand why "he" thought it was running rich:confused: also, I would drop the gap to .040

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Ha ha ha, nevermind. It looks like its tuned pretty well, your a/f is fine at around 13.4:1 or so. Remember, a box stock edel/cobra intake setup is rarely over 280, so you aren't doing too bad. Cam swap might help you.....did you get flow numbers on the heads?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
N2O88 said:
Ha ha ha, nevermind. It looks like its tuned pretty well, your a/f is fine at around 13.4:1 or so.
Doh! Send me to "reading charts 101" please. LOL. Man, I really scared myself there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A ported Cobra can support more that 300 rwhp. I'd be a little suspicious of the cam myself. Ported heads, ported manifold, high compression...it just doesnt quite add up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pedronius said:
[B10:5.1 CR
[/B]
Here's your reason! You have an effective compression ratio of 2.05!!!

;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts