Ford Mustang Forums banner

Durasparking but not starting

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  My84GT4vho 
#1 ·
Hey guy, I am still trying to get my t-top going. I have replace the blue grommet module and I do get the a spark from the coil via the coil wire through a spark plug (cylinder one's plug). but the engine will not bust off. and cyl 1 the motor is @ TDC. no back fire, just cranking. and yes there is fuel

#3 ·
sounds like the distributor is off to me as well. fuel, air, and spark at the right time is all it takes.

#5 ·
well like I said I get a spark through the coil wire to a ground. I have tried connecting the coil wire back to the dist. and with plug 1's wire trying the same test (an arc to a ground from the wire) but I dont get anything. I have tried 3 different caps and 2 different bugs but still nothing. the caps and bugs were all used but were cleaned. I shouldnt be off in timing well not enough to cause not to even bust off. all I am getting is just cranking.

#6 ·
so anything...sure could use the help

#7 ·
Check your plug wires, though I dought they would all fail at once. If you have confirmed spark from the coil but no spark at the plugs the only thing in the path is the plug wires and the cap and rotor itself. You said you tested the coil wire and its good. Make sure the rotor is contacting the center pin of the cap when secured in place. You have to troubleshoot it until you find where you're losing the spark at.

Also double check that distributor. Bring it up on #1 and make sure its pointing at #1 spark plug wire. It makes no sense if you have fuel, spark and air I would expect some sort of sputter of something even with the timimg totally wacked.

#8 ·
You may be overlooking the PIP in the distributor. When they go bad they work only when it wants to. Don't ground the neg side of the coil that need to go through the tach first. You should check the voltage at the pos side of the coil. You will find it much less then 12 volt. Find a key on only 12 volt source and use that to power the coil and it'll have a stronger spark. Also check for roasted wiring in the wiring harness for the distributor and sending units and AC. Bare wires in the harness can cause problems you don't want. To set the timing use the 10 btdc mark and static spark the #1 and tighten the distributor clamp down. This will get the timing set within a couple of degrees. Also make sure the center coil wire goes to the center of the dissy cap and not the #1 pole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.