Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The starter in my 92 lx took a crap. So I got a remanufactured one from Auto Zone. I figured that all the starters from 86-93 are the same thing, so I just asked for one for a 92. The one the guy gave me is different first of all it is much smaller, second where the starter wire connects. On the old one the wire was bolted onto the starter selenoid and there were no other connection fittings at all, on the new one there are two studs, and also a small tab for a small connection to slide on, so I just hooked my wire to the one stud, and connected the small wire (which was always just hanging there) to the tab. All the starter did was click. So I put the starter wire on the other tab, then the starter spun, but it didn't turn over my motor. So I don't know are there different starter relays for different year cars. Were the starters changed through the years? I mean my car used to be a 4 cyl. and was converted to a 5.0, so it could have easily had a pre 92 starter in it, I just figured that 86-93 were the same. Any help with why this dumb thing doesn't work would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
What you have ia the so called mini starter. They were installed from some point in 92 and continued through the 93 year. I am not sure if they are used on the 94-95 5.0L stangs.

Anyway if you want to use it then heres what you need to do.

You will need to move the HOT wire going to the stud on the starter to the POS side of the solinoid. Its a simple matter of moving the wire at the solinoid to the battery side. You then will need to make a new wire that goes from the switched side of the solinoid or to the same side your starter wire was. This wire will run to the tab on the "new" solinoid. Thats all there is to updating your starter.

Allen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts