Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of anyone who's done this before? I'd like to get a junk yard head and see if it would be possible...any comments other then "Why would you like to do something stupid like that?"

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Don't you think if it was a good idea, some one in the Pro 5.0 class, or others would have tried it by now?:confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
ima agree with StangLX on this one... it is done with your rangers and lil nissans... but this is for cleaner exhaust... it really wont help that much... youd have to have either a dual coil set up or something really funky with the ignition... NEVERTHELESS youd have to drill and tap a second set of plug holes in the heads which is down right we tah ded cause youd have to find a spot in the heads and what not... so basically id have to say NO

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, let me clarify. The reason I asked about duel spark plugs is not to actually use an additional plug in there but an Impco H2 Injector. It's a lot easier to ask you guys about a second spark plug hole then to go into explaining what an Impco H2 Injector is. So if you want to know do a search on google.com. Or wait for my web page on the topic....it'll have a lot of usefull info on H2 as a fuel.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Hydrogen? Why not just use a diesel engine for that.

Or inject the hydrogen into the intake

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
paul351w said:
Hydrogen? Why not just use a diesel engine for that.

Or inject the hydrogen into the intake
Because I want to experiment with the potential that hydrogen offers in an ICE. I don't have a lot of money and diesel engines are hard to come by at the junk yard. Plus I'd like the challenge of converting a SBF to hydrogen.

In regards to injecting hydrogen into the intake. That's feasable and has been done on many occasions, however, because the point at which H2 burns is much lower then standard gasoline the chances of detanation and/or intake back fire is greatly increased. Direct injection into the combustion chamber has a much lower chance of detanation due to the fact that the injector will pluse just after the intake valve has closed and then be ignited almost immediatly.

I've done extensive research in this area already, their are many difference between the way an ICE would run on gasoline as opposed to H2. I know this is a very involved task but I have all the skills necessary to accomplish it.

I don't know the specifics on the internals of a SBF head so that's why I asked if anyone knew of someone who engineered one for duel spark plugs. I'll probably end up drilling and taping my own holes, then possibly rerouting the cooling passeges if they interfear, the heat at which such an engine would run is greatly less then that of a gasoline engine due to the much lower BTU's.

Again, if anyone has any info regarding what I have mentioned please respond, I do not mind answering questions regarding my design mainly because I'm not doing this to sell it, just for my own, we tod did purposes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
StangLX302 said:
Don't you think if it was a good idea, some one in the Pro 5.0 class, or others would have tried it by now?:confused:
Not to be rude but are you trying to say that all the good ideas have already been done? Then why do they still race in that class if their's nothing else they can accomplish? I understand that when you posted this you were unaware of my actual intentions, but I want you to realize that just because no one has ever done something like this doesn't mean it woan't work.

Their are lots of things that can greatly be improved upon, and our use of fossile fuels is highly number one. I know the immediate HP potential isn't there just yet, but it wasn't there when the switch was made from carburators to EFI, development and research is what's required to make this work.

Their are quite a few companies developing H2 fuel cells currently to help increase the milage of H2 powered vehicles. Their are also companies experimenting with different engine design for numerous alternative fuels, but I have yet to find anyone developing H2 technology for the power freaks like us. I personaly don't want to live in a world where lack of current knowledge would require an H2 powered Mustang producing 140HP. I may not really be doing much right now, but consider the possiblity if I can equip a 5.0L to produce 300+ ponies while running on a by-product of electroliscis.

Somebody has to do it...I'm one of thoes somebodies...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
check out blue thunder heads.....the offer bungs for injectors

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's called a hemi head and Mopar did it in the 60's
It's currently what sits on top Merlin motors and the other Top Fuelers

More properly it's a hemispherical head

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I've kept my mouth shut so far because I can't remember specifics like the date and any names associated, but I do remember that there was an article about the 460 not too long before it was to be replaced by the V10.

The gist of the article was that Ford's contention that the 460 was being replaced due to emissions considerations was B.S. The article went on to explain a little about how one proponent of the 460 had installed dual plugs and got a considerable power increase and a reduction in emissions at the same time. The idea was that Ford should spend money on fixing the 460 with advanced engineering rather than use the less powerful V10. Memory says this article was in a National Dragster but it hardly seems like an article for them, but hey, its a lead.

Just off the top of my head it would seem that if you wanted to do this it would be a fairly simple matter of drilling through to the combustion chamber and using a threaded sleeve to seal any coolant pasage. The real trick will be to find a spot that you can place this without interfering with valvetrain components. I'm thinking Oldsmobile engines (real Oldsmobiles, not Chevy engines in Oolds cars) have a cylinder head that has the exhaust face recessed a bit fom the lower part of the head and a very narrow valvetrain area. Might be something to look into. OTOH the last Olds engine was the 307 back in '87. Could be a little difficult to find one cheap anymore.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
The 460 works because there is a Cresant shaped (hemi) head cast for the 460. The splayed valves allow the spark plug (plugs) to be placed in the center of the combustion chamber.

Problem with the 5.0 (302) head is there is no room/access. THe exhaust port is in the way for another angle on the combustion chamber from the side. The valves are too centrally located to come down through the valve cover. Not to mention the rockers are in the way. THere isnt enough room to really develop a BOX offset rocker pattern to enable you access to the area that I can tell.

A deisle would be the ideal prof of concept engine until you could get someone intrested in casting a "hemi" head for the small block V8.

Either that or do a Chrysler project, and use the mini hemi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts