Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just discovered the DTM foxbody Mustangs. I don't know why I haven't seen these before, but I am really taken in by how they look and how they are built. The pictures just barely hint at some of the features.

It appears that the vents at the side and ahead of the wheel are for the carburetor to breathe..? Not sure if these would be better mounted to the front? (as shown in other pictures)

Webers with some sort of cowl induction. I also notice that there sems to be quite a bit of engine setback? Can't tell whether they are still using struts or not.

I really like the lines on these cars. The fender arches are clean and provide track width and the front lower chin is simple and yet solves the typical fender/front relationship concerning track width.

Here is a video link for some tantalizing build pictures

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at 1:15 and at 1:24 on the video link you can see a brief glimpse of the front spindles and some of the ducting. I would love to see more also.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I never particularly cared for the fender flare kits and such, but man, this has me second guessing those thoughts. Great looking cars.

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
damn, those have no become my dream fox bodies. I've always dreamed of constructing a front air dam like that. How would one go about making something like that? I'd for sure buy one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It seems that these cars were way ahead of their time. It's too bad that there are no suspension details. That front air dam is pretty inspiring. After all of this time there just doesn't seem to be any satisfactory front air dam solutions for fox mustangs. Everything gets bent mangled and stapled together and never really looks right. Here is a guy I found that built something that looks similar to the DTM air dam out of aluminum. I bet you could fab up something in sheet metal fairly easily.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah yes...thank-you. I'll have to dig deeper. Any way to get more info as far as attachment of the front air dam, etc. on this car?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ah yes...thank-you. I'll have to dig deeper. Any way to get more info as far as attachment of the front air dam, etc. on this car?
I think Jake said he could make more. The air dam went through several revisions. He posts on Corner Carvers too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
They also had a really unique Flat Crank set-up. Definately a lost art. Reminds me of the IMSA Mustang concept back in the day.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news!!

Pertti Heinonen emailed me from Finland. He owns one of the original Ruch DTM mustangs and has a number of pictures. I have requested suspension, motor and any bodywork pictures. Here's one that was just sent of the engine bay. I'll update as they become available. Enjoy!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Purely a lightning strike moment. Perrti must be here on the corral, because he saw the thread and messaged me that he couldn't post pictures. I'm anxious to see more also.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good news!!

Pertti Heinonen emailed me from Finland. He owns one of the original Ruch DTM mustangs and has a number of pictures. I have requested suspension, motor and any bodywork pictures. Here's one that was just sent of the engine bay. I'll update as they become available. Enjoy!
Woot! Woot! Many, many thanks.

I know I shall enjoy :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts