Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm calling on the good folks here to help me help my parents. My 82 year old dad has a 1998 F150 that has always been maintained inside and out with 157k miles. He had an intermittent CE light. He took to the Ford dealer and they pulled P1747. They replaced the trans wiring harness which required dropping the pan. The issue is they charged him $1389 in labor alone! I am very familiar with this simple procedure and would like the help of someone who access to Ford/Mitchell/Alldata to tell me what the book hours are

As a side note, 500 miles later the light is back on (no surprise, but ill save that for another conversation)

·
Registered
24,111 Posts
ask another dealer what their book hours are

ford has there own book hours for repair

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugggg,, I missed the obvious to call another dealer. Probably due to my being blown on the labor amount for this simple RR. Thx.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called two different Ford dealers and they will not give me a quote on labor hours without seeing the truck. Does anyone here have book hours for the trans wiring harness replacement?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have a tough time believing a trans wiring harness just took a **** all of a sudden.

·
Registered
24,111 Posts
I called two different Ford dealers and they will not give me a quote on labor hours without seeing the truck. Does anyone here have book hours for the trans wiring harness replacement?
that is understandabl, the age of the vehicle could mean alterations, or use of aftermarket parts could be involved

·
Registered
24,111 Posts
I have a tough time believing a trans wiring harness just took a **** all of a sudden.
its as simple as the connector leaking and causing shorts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
its as simple as the connector leaking and causing shorts
I guess I didn’t really think the trans fluid would made much of a conductor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It wasn't bad. The code fired off again even with the new harness. Dad took it back to the dealer and they are saying the pressure control solenoid is sticking/bad. I have read probably 50 threads on this code and resolution and the majority of the time it is NOT the harness. This is why I am bent on the $1300 charge in labor for the harness replacement that did not provide resolution. Of course no refund or even applying that charge for the next round of repairs. I wish they lived closer to me so I can get my hands on it. Anyway, apologies for the long read. I guess it is what it is and I should just accept that this is the way of Service Writers.

·
Registered
24,111 Posts
It wasn't bad. The code fired off again even with the new harness. Dad took it back to the dealer and they are saying the pressure control solenoid is sticking/bad. I have read probably 50 threads on this code and resolution and the majority of the time it is NOT the harness. This is why I am bent on the $1300 charge in labor for the harness replacement that did not provide resolution. Of course no refund or even applying that charge for the next round of repairs. I wish they lived closer to me so I can get my hands on it. Anyway, apologies for the long read. I guess it is what it is and I should just accept that this is the way of Service Writers.

it is entirely possible to have a failure of another component in the same area, especially a solenoid

its always hard to say, how much to replace replace while in there, before you know it, you just rebuild the whole thing

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it is entirely possible to have a failure of another component in the same area, especially a solenoid

its always hard to say, how much to replace replace while in there, before you know it, you just rebuild the whole thing
Agreed on the first point. However, what they should have done was actually test the harness to determine if it was the root cause. Basic ohm testing would have told them what they needed to know (that harness was not root cause). Of course that would never happen in the real world as most all techs replace the part that is named in the code description without performing diagnosis 🤦‍♂️. Anyway, thx Indy for the convo and input

·
Registered
24,111 Posts
I dont buy that the root cause was the solenoid.

there is no valid ohm test for a harness.

I am sure the DTC was cleared, taken for a road test, and no CEL or DTC returned

the fact that it returned weeks later, proves that.

I know its easy to blame the last person that touches it. it aint that easy

what is the new DTC?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont buy that the root cause was the solenoid.

there is no valid ohm test for a harness.

I am sure the DTC was cleared, taken for a road test, and no CEL or DTC returned

the fact that it returned weeks later, proves that.

I know its easy to blame the last person that touches it. it aint that easy

what is the new DTC?
I don’t either.

There is a valid ohm test for the harness.

Same DTC P1747.

I am not making a point of blame. Rather, it should have been tested properly for the amount that was charged in labor alone.

Dad picked up the truck and will be taking it elsewhere as he is not going to give them additional $5600 they want to move forward with next repair lol. Keep in mind no drivability issues at all. Sure something is triggering the code and needs resolution but by someone willing to perform actual troubleshooting. I’m over it so I will move on now

·
Registered
24,111 Posts
if the overdrive PWM solenoid circuit is shorted

there will be no overdrive engagement

no overdrive, will not lead to drivability problems.....just fuel economy problems

1 - 15 of 15 Posts