Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running a DSS 306 shortblock. If so, have you had any problems with it, big or small. I am seriously thinking about getting one and need to get some input on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Darin

·
Registered
16 Posts
2 years

I have the DSS 306 bullit. Been running it for 2 years have had no problems. I've run a lot of nitrous through it and it just keeps taking it. No smoking no problems.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I heard that DSS has very reputible (sp?) short blocks & just needed to hear that first hand.

Darin

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've had mine for about 6 months now, it has a minor leak at the rear main seal.

The other problem is that I'm not making enough hp! If I were to do it again, I'd go with their 331 or 347 blocks if you want to stay with the 302 based engines....but if you want a 351 based engine go with their 393 or 408.

Just my .02

·
Registered
154 Posts
Champ,

I think I'm at about 420-430rwhp with the T-rex now installed. Before it was leaning out at around 5400rpms with just the 255 intank (G307)

I'm also running crappy gas (CA 91 octane) so that has probably some effect as well...

But anyway, I didn't have a baseline dyno w/o the blower. I recently built everything together and after 500 miles of N/A I put the blower on and went in for a dyno tune. But it did run like a dog w/o the blower.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will be using the bullet with the main girdle & main studs. I know I can get all that with the pro bullet, but I don't need the oil pump, ect.

Darin

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
If you are running a stock oil pan, use a stock replacement pump. Only use a high volume oil pump when using a 7 or an 8 qt oil pan. Reason being is if you use a high volume oil pump with a stock pan, it will suck the stock oil pan dry.

By the way, how did the short block come balanced. 50 oz, 28 oz, or neutral.

Darin

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would use a heavy duty shaft even with a stock pump. The oil pump shaft connects to the distributor, which is run by the cam. Remember that the shaft is your lifeline between the distributor/cam and your oil pump. If that shaft goes, your out of luck.

Darin

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I went through this last summer, after posting a similar message I got both good and bad responses. I finally decided to do it on my own, bought a FPS 331 stroker kit and a brand new FRPP A-50 block, had it machined at a local shop and did the assembly myself. I'm actually taking a quick breather, I'm currently tryin to get this puppy in and runnin.

·
Corral Charter Member
4,744 Posts
Champ10187 said:
Aspaceman, your're running 15 # of boost and only making 400rwhp, seems like you should be making alot more! How much hp did you have b4 the DSS 306
Boost is merely a measure of backpressure...

Boost is not horsepower...

Carry on...

:joy:

G

·
I bought a DSS bullit short block with the main girdle and studs back in 1998. I raced this motor for 3 years, 2 all motor, 1 on the spray. No problems whatsoever. It took all the abuse I could throw at it. My best times were [email protected] on motor and [email protected] on a 150 shot. This was with out of the box edelbrock heads with the 1.90 intake valves. The motor is still running strong with no rebuild in my freinds 93 cobra street car with a Vortech B-trim on it. Im just awaiting the arrival of my new DSS 393. Nothing but good things to say here. Go ahead and get it, you wont be dissapointed.

Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.