Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was adding some stuff up.. I can't get my Crank/rods/balancing done for the Price of a DSS Racing Balanced 306 Rotating Assemebly.. I was wondering if anyone was running one?
Should I just go and By the DSS one or get my done locally?
Getting the DSS one will be about 100 bucks cheaper and I know DSS stuff is realy good. and probably better than my shop here.
The only thing is the DSS Kit wont be Balanced to my Harmonic balancer and flexplate.. will that make much Difference?

Thanks..

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've been pounding on mine for a while w/ 0 problems. I think they have real good quality (w/ everything I have seen anyway). The balancing will be fine.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Call them to see if you can send your balancer and flywheel to be balanced with their kit. A friend just had a motor machined locally useing DSS pistons and it was around $2000.00 including the cost of pistons. It seems to me that buying a DSS shortblock is the way to go, unless you are friends with someone in the machining business. He is pretty happy with it, but it isn't a true DSS kit like you asked. No track times yet.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys guys..

Laidback,

How did the Parts Look?

Keith. I'm just getting the internals not a shortblock..
but yeah the DSS Kit looks like a great deal.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've got the rotating assembly in my 93...It's held up fine so far. I'll probably split the block in half soon. ; )

Chad

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have their 306 rotating assembly in my 86. I have had it together for about a hear now. I have had no problems what so ever. I used a new stock flywheel and balancer and I haven't had a balance problem yet...

·
Registered
550 Posts
It's kinda strange but when I recieved my D.S.S rotating assy it came with Probe pistons. I clled D.S.S. and they told me that they were goiing through a new machining process with a CNC machine and had to get pistons from an outside source. I called Probe and they told me that they supply alot of pistons to D.S.S. So. I have hybrid- D.S.S/Probe rotating assy:confused: Overall I'm impressed with the quality of all the parts. I thoroughly checked all clearances and tolerances when I assembled it and everything was spot on. Kinda nice for a change to get quality mail order parts;) Hopefully I'll be starting it in the next few weeks to let everyone know>

·
Registered
587 Posts
From what I understand DSS and Probe split the TRW piston division in half. Probe bought half and DSS bought half. I talked to DSS about a week ago and he said they would have their own pistons. He told me they would be around 100 grams lighter than the old TRW's. When they will be available I don't know.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I bought mine about 5 years ago. It came w/ TRW's flycut for twisted wedge and as bling stated everything was spot on. Excellent quality.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i bought their 306 rotating assembly,a friend and i put it together.we checked every clearence and all were in spec.all the parts looked real nice and i've put about 7k mi on it so far with no problems.it did take a month longer than they said it would but i got over it.......

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sounds like DSS has some nice quality parts. Im currently looking to rebuild my engine. I was either going to have mine rebuilt or buy a new shortblock, but I may just buy the DSS internals and have my block cleaned up.

My plan was to either go with DSS or Keith Craft.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you want you can probably send them your balancer/flywheel and they will balance it with your motor. At last KC did that for me.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replys..

I talked to DSS last week.. they said there making there own Pistons now and there 60grams lighter than there old ones..

Sending my Balancer and flexplate down to then isn't worth it to me.. I can get it done Locally here and my machine shop is Realy Good.. but I can get the DSS Rotating ass. for cheaper than I can get my stuff done for.. that and I'll have another set of Rods and a crank..!! I don't know what to do.. DSS or do my own Crank and rods...hmmmm I'm definatly getting DSS pistons though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts