Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm posting this for my brother, who has a '94 GT/T-5 combo, about 55k miles, he's the original owner:

For the past two years, I've had an intermittent whirr when the clutch was depressed. This whirr was barely audible and would come and go with the weather/temperature. Last night while driving in fourth gear a high whine formed within the trans/clutch, again when the clutch was depressed. The whine grew worse in the course of about 1 hour. There was no sound at all with the car out of gear and the clutch was released, but it whined when the clutch was depressed and car was either in or out of gear. This morning after driving 3 miles to work , the high whine is gone but there is now a very noticable roughness/whirr in the clutch/trans that goes away *somewhat* when the clutch is released. This roughness is now present whether or not the car is in or out of gear or the clutch is depressed or not, although letting the clutch out dimishes the noise. I should also add that we have had very hot weather here in SoCal.

Any info/help greatly appreciated.

PS--it obviously needs to be taken in for work, we just want to get ideas for what the problem is and how serious it might be. Would you guys advise like an Aamco or other tranny shop, or the dealer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT

Any ideas anyone? Someone told me it sounds like a clutch bearing...

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
It sounds a lot like a throw out bearing. 9/10 times its usually the culprit when hearing funny squirrly sounds. Mine blew on the way back from Pennsylvania and had the exact symptons you had.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, steeda.

Is it an expensive job to replace a throw out bearing? Is it vital to replace it before driving the car, or can it be driven short distances w/o damaging other components?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Well the piece is only 19.99 from D&D and that is also for a Valeo brand (very good brand).

I would have it replaced soon, they will need to drop the tranny in order to get to it so I would imagine the labor would be at least $100 to do. If you don't replace it soon and the bearing breaks it may cause damage to the bearing retainer which is another $50.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts